Walking Dead Colt pistol - seeking some advice

WOMP

New here. Hi!

I'm planning a Sheriff Rick outfit for an upcoming con since it's pretty easy and I'm age appropriate. (Dang 20-year-old whipper-snappers dressin' up as Rick. Darn kids, get off my lawn!)

I've been looking into the options for his pistol. I noticed this item on ebay:

Military 2X Toy Guns Revolver Water Gun 357 Magnum Pistol Toy Guns Soldier | eBay

Looking at the pictures, the details actually seemed pretty close. So I decided to use this as an excuse to learn more about casting a prop (questions to follow). I know this will end up costing me more than just buying the airsoft and changing the grips but it's a good chance to learn about materials.

So, here they are...

WDgun01.jpg

I know! They have silly little 4-inch barrels. Quick! To the bandsaw!

WDgun02.jpg

Voila!

WDgun03.jpg

A little more sanding and finishing (and obviously a trigger) and it'll be ready for my first foray into silicone molding. But first - I want to thicken up the trigger guard and hammer to withstand the inevitable bumping and dropping. I have sculpting wax available but I'm not sure that's the right thing to try.

Tell me about kneadable plumbers epoxy. Does that adhere to plastic? Will the difference in hardness between the plastic and epoxy make finishing it difficult? You see where I'm going with this. Any advice is appreciated!

I have worked with carbon fiber and epoxy. From that basis, working epoxy after it has hardened is pretty easy using wet sanding. I don't think that is going to be much help, but you have a pretty good start and your project looks really good. Best of luck and I am looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back