Technodrome Build 2014 TMNT

Propigy

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
technodromebuild.JPG

Since I was a kid I loved the original TMNT animated series.
The technodrome was my all time favorite toy.
One thing was missing it was plastic and not metal.
This year I am going to give my childhood a reboot.

I am building this small scale model from pizza trays. (Tin)
The eye lid opens and closes and I expect all the wheels and gears to turn.

Do you want to build a Technodrome? Screw building a snowman!

Lets do this!

Last edited:
Heck to the yeah! :lol The Technodrome toy was one of the last, if not the last big TMNT toy my parents bought me. I still can remember being at our "local" Toys 'R Us getting it. In my late childhood it seemed huge! I was one of those big, "expensive" toys. To see a "collectors version" in adulthood will be awesome.

Look forward to seeing the pictures and progress. :cool

I have to apologize been busy with work and my birthday week as well. I will post updated photos soon of the progress from start to finish. I look forward to this build and will ensure it's a success.

IMG_0266.jpg
So I guess it all starts with a kick ass work area. Being confident in your work begins with a work area with all the techy needs. monitor surround sound and retro gaming controllers...Check check check!

Since I started the build, I will post a few photos each day as I go. That way I can add more as I continue. Since I am building this out of Tin I buy up cookie sheets from thrift shops.

Some may ask why I chose a human sized eye over a larger eye ball for a biger build. I felt a human sized eye would be more creepy to people who don't know what it is or what this item is from.
vlcsnap-2014-03-11-23h05m22s96.pngIMG_0225.jpgIMG_0229.jpg

So far this part has been the most challenging. This is the only actual round part of the whole Technodrome. The body is all small parts with slight bends stacked. Taking flat tin and bending it into a round dome for the eye lid has proved difficult. I am still working on the eye and the lid, but this is what I came up with.
I traced a round shape on a small square, marked the center and cut out the circle. Then I cut groves in the shape, so I could bend it and solder it.

IMG_0237.jpgIMG_0236.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone want an awesome desktop background?

Love this pic. This is my current desktop background Image.
vlcsnap-2014-03-09-21h00m27s55.png

I have this theory about the Technodrome. Where did Shredder and Krang get all the materials and metal to build and repair it? Along with all the metal to build endless amounts of foot soldier robots? Considering the Technodrome drills thru the earth below the city, it has to be assumed there is factory on board for smelting metals. With endless supplies of material as they drill thru the earth, this would give reason for all the things they make in all of the episodes. What do you think?

While I fix a few mistakes on the eye, I wanted to share this photo. I would like to raise a toast....Here is to the conception of the Technodrome!
downloadcc.jpeg
"To the many burns and cuts, booboos and ouchies, May the result be as great as the concept idea"

So after running into a small issue with the eye I went in and made the appropriate changes. It is in the polishing process. I found doing patch work extremely simple with this material. A light flame is all it takes to make quick patches. So far I am loving it. I knew this eye would be the hardest part of the project. It's like the start on top of the Christmas tree. It should always go on last! But it has been siting in a box the entire time awaiting its place on top! I look forward to this build just wish this eye was completed already. Ready? Me 2!

Why am I making this freaking thing out of tin, when plastic or foam would be a faster build?

I am a realist. The cartoon portrays it as metal. I feel it is only fair to honor that request.
Since I am a former bench jeweler, I wanted to put my skills to the test.

I want to hear your opinion. Would it have been faster/ easier, to build using other materials?

IMG_0393.jpgIMG_0395.jpgIMG_0397.jpgIMG_0375.jpgIMG_0390.jpgIMG_0391.jpg

Last edited:
The eye is not yet fully completed but that is OK! I am ready to move on and finish the eye up later. Now for the skeleton. I plan on making this piece easy to disassemble. If Anyone likes it and would like to own one, I want to ensure molds can be made. Also the option of making it motorized comes into thought. The option is much easier if it can be taken apart.

IMG_0410.jpgIMG_0411.jpgIMG_0412.jpg

So this project has been a doozy. After getting a real dose of Metal Fever (Monday Fever) 2 months of exposure. I have taken some time off to do research and track down some metal
particulate respirator masks. This is where I am at now. I have tons of photos of the work up till now. Will update at some point. Excited to get back to the project.
10393748_549599651850633_6843240505880068540_n.jpg

It has been a year and i have had little activity in the prop world. I stepped away and when I was looking for something to do I decided to give this project a new try. With...(Out of the Shadows) hitting theaters in May. I wanted to see if I could finish this project. Since I am in no way allowing myself to work with metals other than jewelry i am going to blend some new media to the current metal body. I have not yet decided what the media will be but I am sure, my nostalgia will be in overdrive. From a year rusting in the box i dug it out to see how a year has treated it.
vbnnmcv.jpeg
imagecvbcvb.jpegcvbcvbcvbcvb.jpegcvbcvbcvb.jpegimage.jpeg

Just for you...

Since I don't have actual talent like this, I had to cheat.

First, I found all the good animated A team shots of the Technodrome I could find.
I re worked it in CGI over the course of a month so I could fine tune all the angles and detail.

Then I wussed out and sent it to shapeways for a 5 inch model print ;o).

Since it didn't print out that well in some areas, I made some changes since then and plan to print out a bigger 8 inch model later.

good job on yours though ;o). wish I had talent to do things from scratch. and the patience.

10425859_10152995785255211_4583439026337483967_n.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back