The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (Post-release)

Vivek

Master Member
https://www.facebook.com/PeterJacksonNZ/posts/10152332243996558?stream_ref=1

From Peter Jackson's FB page:

"Inside Information...

Our journey to make The Hobbit Trilogy has been in some ways like Bilbo's own, with hidden paths revealing their secrets to us as we've gone along. “There and Back Again” felt like the right name for the second of a two film telling of the quest to reclaim Erebor, when Bilbo’s arrival there, and departure, were both contained within the second film. But with three movies, it suddenly felt misplaced—after all, Bilbo has already arrived “there” in the "Desolation of Smaug".

When we did the premiere trip late last year, I had a quiet conversation with the studio about the idea of revisiting the title. We decided to keep an open mind until a cut of the film was ready to look at. We reached that point last week, and after viewing the movie, we all agreed there is now one title that feels completely appropriate.

And so: "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" it is.

As Professor Tolkien intended, “There and Back Again” encompasses Bilbo’s entire adventure, so don’t be surprised if you see it used on a future box-set of all three movies.

Before then however, we have a film to finish, and much to share with you. It’s been a nice quiet time for us—Jabez and I happily editing away in a dark cave in Wellington—but those halcyon days are quickly coming to an end. It will soon be time to step into the light. Expect to see and hear much about The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies in the coming months.

And there’s also The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Cut, which we’re in the process of finishing, with over 25 mins of new scenes, all scored with original music composed by Howard Shore.

It’ll be a fun year! "

Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Meh. Should have stayed There and Back Again.

Bo5A is about to happen quickly and be over with, by atleast 30 minutes in. Of course we are talking about PJ here, who will undoubtedly string the Battle along to a 2 hour slap stick.

Yes I'm still bitter of Desolation...so I don't hold much hope for these movies anymore, like I did after Unexpected Journey. Desolation sealed it for me that these movies were definitely sloppy seconds.

The change undermines that end of the story and ultimately takes away from the journey that Bilbo goes through. It also takes away from the possibilities of any Appendices additions. There's been so many damned changes/rewrites as it is. They need to just leave it alone and let it be.

Don't get me wrong, I adore having more of Middle Earth...but Desolation seemed to take away from the essence of the world. It felt like more of a world PJ made up, lacking all Tolkien essence. Still very bitter over it. I was initially mad over the Tauriel addition, but got over it because I loved her design. Made her costume even. But then they rewrote her and did the love triangle fiasco, that they promised wouldn't be in there. Can. Not. Forgive.

So I'm not at all shocked by this choice. Par for the course.

Last edited:

Agree with CelticRuins that Desolation of Smaug had many drawbacks. I disliked the over-use of CGI and too many fake looking goblins.

But The Battle of the Five Armies is a good title for a pivot point in the Tolkien universe (Taking into account the rewrites ;))

So far nothing I've seen or read has convinced me to watch the 2nd film, much less the 3rd. The 1st one (saw it on Christmas 2012) butchered the story so badly I hardly recognized as Tolkien's anymore. It's a major let down for me since I watch the LOTR trilogy a few times per year, and PJ's films are what introduced me to the books.

This one is the movie I'm looking forward to missing. The first two movies came off like a b-rated dungeons and dragons. I was progressively disappointed. Peter Jackson nailed the formula with the LOTR trilogy. He put all the CG in the background and allowed it to enhance the story. In this trilogy it seems like the story is dictated and manifested in the CG. All the over-executed theatrics are distracting. I know a lot of people are satisfied with the movies as they are, but I wonder why. I am sorry to be so negative about the films, but I love Tolkin's Middle-Earth like I love Star Wars. And I am a bit of a Purist... I think what it boils down to is that Jackson respected the LOTR material when he directed that trilogy, and he was over-confident about The Hobbit.

It all has to do with PJ not wanting to do The Hobbit. Hence why del Toro was involved. And now I pine for what could have been with del Toro.

But something tells me it would have still been screwed up, as WB has a hand in the making of these movies. They're the ones that call for the rewrites and changes. The director gets paid off to keep quiet and let the changes happen. As opposed to a movie studio, like New Line did for Pete for LotR, giving almost full jurisdiction to the director.

Also, Pete wanted to make LotR. He feels obligated to make the Hobbit. BIG difference. There was atleast passion for LotR. The Hobbit is just, "Let's throw in a crap ton of CGI to hide the fact I just don't give a rip."

On top of the fact, this seems to be, "The Hobbit: Let's make crap tons of the same copy of film and jack the price up." Like releasing the Erebor statues with the unextended version? WTF?

And then he says:" As Professor Tolkien intended, “There and Back Again” encompasses Bilbo’s entire adventure, so don’t be surprised if you see it used on a future box-set of all three movies."

I take Ian Malcom's stance on this...just keep slapping that on lunch boxes until people forget that it's not LotR....

Meh......

I just saw the second film a bit as a friend bought it,surprised at how different from the book it was.

That said I didn't like the Hobbit as much in book form ether,it's a joke,a kids fairy tale,just plain silly and I didn't have much use for it
seriously if you go and read it and then Lord of the Rings it's a bit hard to tie them together as set in the same world.

Meh......

I just saw the second film a bit as a friend bought it,surprised at how different from the book it was.

That said I didn't like the Hobbit as much in book form ether,it's a joke,a kids fairy tale,just plain silly and I didn't have much use for it
seriously if you go and read it and then Lord of the Rings it's a bit hard to tie them together as set in the same world.

This is the same exact issue I have. Book, movie, comic, abstract art piece... I'm just not that into The Hobbit.

I read the books the week after I saw Fellowship (no way I could wait a year to find out what happened! :lol ), I read the Hobbit 1st then The Trilogy. It's very apparent that he was writing to a much younger audience in the Hobbit. TBH I think the Hobbit cartoon form the 70s (?) did a better job of telling the tale, and capturing the whimsical child-like "feel" of the story.

A345025B-FDDF-45E3-9CB8-59D710F9213B_zps4fcb0c79.jpg

Ah, yes... the big climactic battle that everyone is expecting...

... over in the first five minutes of the film. Although knowing Jackson, it could last an hour, but still... that's not the climax of the story and it never was. Making a poster like that is bad marketing and a complete misrepresentation of the film, IMO.

The overly long battles is what I found to be the most boring about Jackson's Lord of the Rings-adaptation. I'd rather skip it.

I'm waiting for a condensed fan-edit of Jackson's three movies, one that is more true to the book.

Although I was pretty disappointed with the first two films, I'm looking forward to seeing the finale.

I liked the first one, but still haven't seen the second one. I'm leery of the idea that there's enough content to create three separate films, let alone three extended versions of the films.

Ah, yes... the big climactic battle that everyone is expecting...

... over in the first five minutes of the film. Although knowing Jackson, it could last an hour, but still... that's not the climax of the story and it never was. Making a poster like that is bad marketing and a complete misrepresentation of the film, IMO.

It'd be like Episode III's poster featuring Dooku about ready to duel Anakin.

"... over in the first five minutes of the film. Although knowing Jackson, it could last an hour, but still... that's not the climax of the story and it never was. Making a poster like that is bad marketing and a complete misrepresentation of the film, IMO."So do you mean Smaug never makes it to Laketown, and Bard does not face off against him? Because that is what I am getting from this movie poster..I am not getting "the last 5 minutes of the movie" image from this

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back