Titanfall Atlas 3D Model

My way took over 2 hours for one little piece, 95% of the detail is part of the original object

Your way took less than 5 to recreate using the original as a guide :)

I'm thinking 3 feet should be big enough without using a microscope for the detail. My original idea was about 5' 10" - 6' in high.
I'll see how the remake comes out before opening it in pep

All in Solidworks -- you're amazing! Is that just one big part file with a really long feature tree --- or an assembly?
Its an assembly, So you have the complete movement of all the parts (see picture). THUMBS_UP_display_large.jpg
These are old pictures now. I have recently updated the files so the forearms, finger etc are to the correct scale of the body. The files are all free and can be downloaded from thingiverse.

The 3D printable action figure of it is now available from thingiverse aswell.

Yes taking a project like this is good to start learning but from personal experience look at tutorials and youtube videos and stuff because you might start picking up bad habits that take alot longer than just doing it the right way. Trust me, I was originally self taught but then my company sent me on all the Solidworks training courses and you realize how many buttons or shortcuts there are to make modeling easier.

Therein lies the secret, lilykill. I notice people who have had some experience in the battlefield doing things on their own appreciate their first training more than those without any clue. The shortcuts will have more meaning to those who did it the hard way first. Wonderful job you're doing here.

Last edited:
Love this! I actually just finished repainting the collector's edition statue. I'd love to pick up one of these kits too, killer work.

Crikey! Very, very nice! And daaamn tall!!! How are the details holding up?
Not bad so far. Hes printing at 0.2 layer height and most small holes and and detailed edges are coming up well by the looks of it. There are other pics of it on the web page http://www.thingiverse.com/make:81212

Wow you really printed it! Parts that big would've cost a fortune at Shapeways. Were you able to source out a cheaper alternative?

Well if you have your on 3D printer then it would be cheap enough when a 1kg spool is about 20 quid. And shapeways, even for the cheapest printing is about 1 pound per cubed centimeter. So with some quick calc's shapeways will charge you about £1040 per spool. I think....

Well if you have your on 3D printer then it would be cheap enough when a 1kg spool is about 20 quid. And shapeways, even for the cheapest printing is about 1 pound per cubed centimeter. So with some quick calc's shapeways will charge you about £1040 per spool. I think....

They don´t use filament printers and, depending on what material you choose, you have more detail and the print speed is higher. It´s a bit like comparing apples and pears, because having your own 3D printer means not having all the overhead a business like shapeways has. I´d really love to know what the same print would have cost at shapeways. But who knows, maybe a combination of both, i.e. own 3D printer for large, bulky items and a pro-printer like shapeways is a road that could be explored, too.

I must confess, though, that i am extremely impressed by the quality, although the number and position of some of the supports irritates me a bit. The clean up seems to more work, too, compared to a shapeways model.

Argh. I want my own 3D printer now ...

They don´t use filament printers and, depending on what material you choose, you have more detail and the print speed is higher. It´s a bit like comparing apples and pears, because having your own 3D printer means not having all the overhead a business like shapeways has. I´d really love to know what the same print would have cost at shapeways. But who knows, maybe a combination of both, i.e. own 3D printer for large, bulky items and a pro-printer like shapeways is a road that could be explored, too.

I must confess, though, that i am extremely impressed by the quality, although the number and position of some of the supports irritates me a bit. The clean up seems to more work, too, compared to a shapeways model.

Argh. I want my own 3D printer now ...

They use SLS which are better but the price is not worth it for some parts which are just blocky or can simply just be sanded down to get a smooth finish anyway. If you just want the part as-is then yes for detailed models its worth it. But considering something the size of the titan, the overall price since they will bill you for the swept volume not the actual build volume, would easily top £1000. When if you had you own printer and a couple spools it would just cost you 30-50 quid for the price of the filament and the electricity to run the printer which would come to like 60-70 quid total.

For the sake of some hand finishing I would'nt even consider shapeways a option due to the extortionate price that it would cost.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back