Casting in flexible rubber - need help!

Droidboy

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
In all of my years doing this...I've never cast anything in rubber, I've always done resin so I need some direction.

I need to cast a thin sheet maybe 8" x 8" by 3/16" thick. I need to be able to do it in a dark gray and have it have some rigidity.

So I guess my question is what materials do you guys recommend for for the mold and the casting? I normally use GI-1000 for casting resin, can I make a mold for flexible rubber using the same thing?

Many thanks in advance,

Gregg

I've not used that particular silicone myself, but I can tell you that I use exactly the same moulds for casting rubber pieces as I do for resin pieces.

I use the Polytek PT flex range. They have a range of different hardness rubbers and they're translucent, so they take tint colours really well.

You could try a 60 shore A urethane rubber. It tints just like urethane resin, and will have the close to rigidity of a car tire.

I used Smoothon PU rubber from the PMC series in the past for casting rubber parts, can be done in silicone molds and it can be easily tinted gray or black with their resin pigmenst

Hey, I wonder if that would work for a current project of mine. I'm trying to make some clips for some gooseneck microphones. Something like a chunk of rubber with a slit in it so you press the goosneck down into it (there's no other mounting hardware on these). My only other thought so far has been to try to laser-cut black rubber.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back