Ironman Mark 42 [fist build][pepakura/ fiberglass/ bondo]

kev18284

Hey guys! I came accross this awesome website about a year ago and decided to build an Ironman suit. I was planning on getting started last year, but life got in the way, so I started this year in March. I initially thought of going the form route but seems like paper/fiberglass/bondo route gives a better and durable finish. So since theres a lot more hardwork involved I decided to start with paper and start early-ish.

I'm using @Helagak's abs, shoulders, biseps, jackieisrockin's shoes, chins, thighs, forearms, cod and @Blackout's helmet.

Heres a list of build materials/tools Ive purchased so far and hope the info will benefit others who are starting out.

Total$663.13
Pepakura
Alvin Professional Cutting Mats Green/Black Size - 18L x 12W inches$9.12
Surebonder PRO2-100 100-Watt High Temperature Industrial Glue Gun, Black$25.48
Surebonder BS-12 High Temperature Best Glue Sticks, 4-Inch [x2]$9.62
Neenah Exact Index Card Stock, 250 Sheets, White, 94 Brightness, 110 lb, 8.5 x 11 Inches$9.97
Fiskars Fingertip Craft Knife$4.35
Techni Edge #11 Hobby Blades - 100 Pack$12.79
Silhouette Cameo Electronic Cutting Tool$269.99
Fiberglass/Bondo
Magnolia Brush 230 Low Cost Single Thickness Paint or Chip Brush, 1-1/2" Trim, 1/2" Width, White (Case of 36)$9.54
Dremel 4000-2/30 120-Volt Variable Speed Rotary Tool Kit$79.99
DEWALT DPG82-11C Concealer Clear Anti-Fog Dual Mold Safety Goggle$12.47
Bondo 499 Fiberglass Cloth [x3]$22.47
Disposable 3 oz. Plastic Cups - 100Count$5.99
M Tekk Paint Project Respirator, Medium, P95, Martin, Dean$11.90
West System 105 Epoxy Resin (.98Gallon 10.3-Pounds)$91.76
Mini Pump Kit for 301 and 305 in Quart, Gallon, 5 Gallon sizes$13.90
FAST HARDENER #205, .86 QUART$41.83
3M 357 Bondo Spreader$2.74
Bondo 265 Lightweight Filler Can - 1 Gallon$24.78
Bondo 907 Glazing and Spot Putty - 4.5 oz.$4.44

Thanks for reading
Kev

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a few pictures of my progress so far photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 5.JPGphoto 4.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Here are a few pictures of my progress so far
photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG
photo 5.JPGphoto 4.JPG

Attachments

• photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 147
Nice work with the addition of the layered sheeting, looks like it's working well. Not to be the downer-guy, but you might want to make sure that the resin won't react with that material.

Pretty sweet that you got a Cameo for this too by the way :thumbsup Good luck on it, it's looking great!

Nice work with the addition of the layered sheeting, looks like it's working well. Not to be the downer-guy, but you might want to make sure that the resin won't react with that material.

Pretty sweet that you got a Cameo for this too by the way :thumbsup Good luck on it, it's looking great!

Thanks! fingers crossed while applying epoxy resin on the rubber.

If it is rubber (wasn't sure), the heat would be the only concern I think. Let us know what happens :thumbsup

Done with forearms and biceps. Will upload better pictures of all the other parts over the weekend
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400158547.570098.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, my name is Wash, I am from Argentina using Google translator because my English is basic ..

I'm building 42 Mark paper, not foam, I need bicep and shoulder PDO for paper, I have not been able to find, are here in RPF? Have some link to search for a topic?

Sorry for the inconvenience, I do not like to ask if you have already posted, use the search without success, I would finish it for an event and do not have much time.

Regards and thanks!

I have a question, how do you guys build the abs, I'm thinking of building it using foam or having it 3d printed. How do I bend after wearing it? I'm so lost :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know a couple guys have 3D printed, and then they made this ridiculously cool 3D printed hinge system so that when you bend back, it flexes and when you stand up straight, it turns normal again. There are a couple of downsides. First, you need to have some means of 3D printing, and it's very complicated. But otherwise, it's pretty cool. Oh here, I finally found the link:

http://www.therpf.com/f78/darkside5...files-password-first-post-139470/index10.html

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back