My Ultimaker 3D Printer tests

I also have an Ultimaker, and if you take some time to get to know Cura and the expert settings, you can make so really great parts.

these were done with 0.05mm layer hight :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8108870/IMG_1038.JPG

The hand pistons on the hand were printed separate and glued on.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8108870/IMG_1031.JPG

hey looks nice is this a model of 3po which you will share or is it just for you

playing with materials is always funny i learned the right tempreture settings on each material are important too.

I just had a week at home with the Printer and tried lots of different settings. The results were very promising. Now I'm back at work and the the computer I use is so old and slow it crashes when I try to look at something in Cura with layers. The result is when I print something I discover half of it is missing once it has been printed. Very frustrating. I'm waiting for the new budget before work can buy me a new computer that will be fast enough. AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

... Very frustrating. I'm waiting for the new budget before work can buy me a new computer that will be fast enough. AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

Isn´t it possible to have all the model data readied on your own computer, i.e. create a print file that you can take to the lab and then just send it to the printer?

Yes, you are exactly right. That's just what I have been doing. So when one of my models started printing only half I was very surprised. So I started it again, same thing. Sadly I couldn't check the file at work and had to wait until I got home. I'll start again today. All of a sudden, I'm having a lot of problems with model normals in 3ds Max. All part of the fun though!

Ive had that problem with Solidworks from time to time. try opening the file and resaving as an STL again. dont know why it does it but for some reason it worked the second time.

you might want to consider buying the Ulticontroller, then you'll never have any problems with the PC connection,
also make sure no hidden programs are running or starting up in the background, like scanners and updaters, these can cause problems during prints.

I've just discovered something important. I've spent the last two weeks trying to make my 3d models into one object and running into huge problems with the normals. It's not necessary!! By leaving the model in it's natural state, ie not booleaned together as one object the normals don't get switched. Saving them as an stl. and opening in Cura treats them as a single object with the option to choose diffrent objects in Cura. For some reason I was under the misconception that the models were better as one object.

Moving on to something more exotic.
2014-05-02 13.46.50.jpg

Star Trek Phaser from Search for Spock.

This test is to see how best to print something. We'd all like to be able to print something out in one piece, finished. Well, for us at the low end of the scale we're not there yet. But...these printers are still extraordinary. I printed out the handle and body as one piece and it did an excellent job. There was some difficulty with the underside of the handle,
2014-05-02 13.47.01.jpg
but this was printed at 100% speed. I will try it again with some tweaks at a slower speed but it took 6 hours to get that far.

They can definitely be a bit of a beast to dial in nicely but i've had some really good prints out of mine , just have keep on top of maintenance , keep the extruder knurled bolt clean of any pla (otherwise it will start to slip and not extrude), and all the components around the head tight , will avoid the issues i've had by being lax with mine lol

I've started my Ep 7 Stormtrooper build. Down loaded from the internet, it took me about a month to print out all the pieces.
2014-11-19 11.04.21.jpg2014-11-19 11.04.37.jpg

Now I'm smoothing it out with car bog. There are some inaccuracies in the helmet that I will build up and iron out respectively.

The filler has gone on now.
2014-11-27 14.31.43.jpg
Now comes the sanding. So far it's looking good. Coming along quicker than I thought. Good old 3d printing. I'm building up the jawline because the one in the photos looks a bit squarer. All the details are disappearing but will come back later. Even if this isn't the real helmet design, I still like the look.

Last edited:
love my Ultimaker 2 I started with the new makerbot 5th gen thinking as a newbie to home printing it would work great . Things didn't go well so I replaced it with the ultimate . wonderful machine and the ability to adjust settings on the fly is amazing.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back