Stormtrooper ANH E-11 Build - Pic heavy

QCWolf

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
How do you eat and elephant?

One bite at a time.

That's how I approached my first scratch built prop.

I've always coveted the Stormtrooper blaster from Star Wars, so after much research and preparation, I decided to build my own. This was to be my first time dipping my toe in the waters of serious prop building so I was nervous. I've done a couple of kits before but nothing on this level.

I've been lurking on this site for a couple of years and made a post or two here and there but I have decided to share my work with you. I have found other people's build threads to be immensely helpful and I was able to learn a lot from those who have done this before.

I knew before I started that I wanted a high level of screen accuracy but I was willing to make some compromises. At the end of the day, this was to be for my own enjoyment, so if something was not 100% accurate, I would be ok with that.

So here goes:

I started with the steel pipe and pattern from Unique Canes. I tried printing my own pattern but I couldn't get the sizing right. However, I did reference the measurements on the other patterns I had. You can see them in the background of this first photo.

Barrel01.JPG

Many drill holes later:

Barrel04.JPGBarrel02.JPG

You can see here that it's starting to come together. I wanted to maintain the integrity of the front sight and muzzle tip so I decided to try something a bit different than what I had seen before.

Barrel05.JPG

I got my L2A3 parts from Apex Gun Parts and cut the front of the barrel and muzzle to fit together like a puzzle.

Puzzel01.JPGPuzzel02.JPG

A little JB Weld worked well to marry the two pieces together. This is for display purposes only so I felt that the JB Weld would do a good job holding everything together.

I also made a kind of rudimentary barrel to help hold things in place. It's a bit of 3/8 inch brass tube cut to length. Don't laugh. It worked!

InnerBarrel01.JPGInnerBarrel02.JPGInnerBarrel04.JPG

I cut the magazine down to size. I left it slightly longer than movie canon just because I liked the longer look.

MagCut02.jpgMagCut04.jpgMagCut05.jpgMagCut06.jpg

Next came the scope rail. Thank you 8th grade metal shop! I finally had a use for those skills after all these years. I beveled the front because I liked the look. Also, because the bend looked sort of funny. I like the hard edge the bevel makes. I looks way better painted :)

ScopeRail03.JPGScopeRail01.JPGScopeRail02.JPG

The next photo is a mock up of the fit. I decided to go with an M38A2 scope for a couple reasons. First, I like the little light bulb greeblie on the top. I know it's non-canon, but maybe all Stormtroopers don't shop at the same scope store. I thought it added an interesting visual element that I liked. Second, I had a heck of a time finding a real M38 or M19 scope for a reasonable price. They pop up on the bay with regular frequency, but I am sticking with my M38A2. I think it looks cool. Plus, it makes it my own.

ScopeRail05.jpgScopeRail04.jpgScopeRail06.jpg

A little paint makes all the difference!

Paint01.jpg

I added a real Hengstler counter (Thanks Odiwan!) and adjusted the numbers to a familiar setting.

Counter02.jpgCounter01.jpg

I got some rubber T-Track from Blast-Tech and put it on. It was fairly easy to work with but it required a lot of patience. I used JB Weld but I wish I had used something different. It worked out ok in the end and it's solid for display purposes, but I think a rigid style T-Track might have been easier to manage during the assembly process. I must admit, I do like the feel of the rubber grip though. It's nice.

FrontGrips02.jpg

Here you can see the tips of the T-Track. I cut them to fit and some turned out better than others. You can also see the payoff with my puzzle piece fit for the muzzle tip. Not bad I think.

FinishedFrontCU.jpg

So that's it. Thanks for reading to the end. I will post my progress for the "power cylinders" next.

Last edited:
I wanted to go all out on this blaster and I felt it wouldn't be complete without the Power Cylinders. I got lots of great ideas on how to make them here on the RPF. In the end, I went with making my own out of some sheet metal, brass tube and copper end caps. Again, the accuracy level is non-canon, but for my purposes, it turned out pretty good. I like to call them perfectly imperfect.

Cylinders01.jpg

For the capacitors, I used the "drill in a vise" lathe technique.

ViseDrill02.jpgViseDrill01.jpgFinishedBrass01.jpgCylinders04.jpgCylinders08.jpgCylinders05.jpgCylinders02.jpgCylinders06.jpgCylinders03.jpgFuses01.jpgCylinders07.jpgFuses02.jpgFuses03.jpg

I liked the idea of being able to detach or reposition the unit so I added 4 small rare earth magnets on the bottom. I drilled out a recess in the metal to make them slightly couter-sunk and held them in place with JB Weld. When I dropped the magnets onto the JB Weld, the steel inside began to swarm over the top of the magnet. It looked like the Venom symbiote oozing over and around the magnet. It looked really cool.

Magnets01.jpgMagnets04.jpg

For the rear cables, I used an eighth inch headphone jack cable with braided shielding super glued into position. I stuck some small Radio Shack capacitors on the end. Not 100% screen accurate, but good enough for me.

Braid01.jpgBraid05.jpgBraid02.jpgBraid06.jpg

Like I said, paint makes everything look better.

There you have it.

Thanks for looking!
Cylinders01.jpg
Cylinders01.jpg
ViseDrill01.jpg
ViseDrill02.jpg
FinishedBrass01.jpg
Magnets01.jpg
Magnets02.jpg
Magnets03.jpg
Magnets04.jpg
Braid01.jpg
Braid02.jpg
Braid03.jpg
Braid04.jpg
Braid05.jpg
Braid06.jpg
Braid06.jpg
Cylinders02.jpg
Cylinders03.jpg
Cylinders04.jpg
Cylinders05.jpg
Cylinders06.jpg
Cylinders07.jpg
Cylinders08.jpg
Fuses01.jpg
Fuses02.jpg
Fuses03.jpg

Cylinders12.jpg

Cylinders13.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1988_zpsca6999b3.jpg
    IMG_1988_zpsca6999b3.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1989_zps69b0dc21.jpg
    IMG_1989_zps69b0dc21.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Dude! That rules! Great Job! I'm blown away by doing that all from scratch!

Now you just need the right scope! Let me know if you do, I have one extra.

Thanks! I might be interested.
On a side note, nice work on the Obi Wan saber. That thing is sweet!

Thanks! I might be interested.
On a side note, nice work on the Obi Wan saber. That thing is sweet!

Thnks! But I didn't make it from nothing like all this amazingness you have on display here. Very cool.

Ill shoot it you some pics tomorrow.

Very nice blaster, looks great! :) Instead of buying a new scope, especially if you are on a budget, you can modify the existing one by removing the light band, and simply filling up with bondo the space left there, and then repaint the whole section. People at FISD did this, and the scopes looked just like the original ones

Wow! Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone. I was not expecting that. It is much appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice blaster, looks great! :) Instead of buying a new scope, especially if you are on a budget, you can modify the existing one by removing the light band, and simply filling up with bondo the space left there, and then repaint the whole section. People at FISD did this, and the scopes looked just like the original ones

That is a good idea. Thanks for the tip.

Nice looking E-11. The problem with what you did was you used a "whole" receiver. It's not deactivated in any way. The receiver blank you drilled out with a few proper welds added is an illegal receiver that isn't deactivated and could be viewed as "readily convertible" per the BATF.

Nice looking E-11. The problem with what you did was you used a "whole" receiver. It's not deactivated in any way. The receiver blank you drilled out with a few proper welds added is an illegal receiver that isn't deactivated and could be viewed as "readily convertible" per the BATF.

It's not "whole" at all. All the parts were purchased in the US from Apex Gun Parts and are already deactivated. The pipe is just a steel pipe and nothing is actually "welded". I used JB Weld to stick it all together. It's basically epoxied together. Also, if you take a look at the build thread images, you can see that the barrel is totally jerry-rigged using a piece of brass tube. If anyone ever even tried to fire a live round through this thing, great injury would befall them. That is if it would even fire without a firing pin. This is strictly for display purposes only. I wouldn't even troop with this thing. It looks good, but it's far from "Illegal" and "readily convertible" as you say. One other thing: I didn't drill out every hole in the template. The firing mechanism is unable to engage the bolt inside the receiver. I left that hole un-drilled.

Thanks for the compliment though.

- - - Updated - - -

Fraking perfect!!! what did it set you back? $$$$$
Too much! Let's just say it cost me less than a Master Replicas version.
Thanks for the compliment!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back