Amazing Spider-Man 2 W.I.P. (Pic Heavy)

Coshabogbrae

Hey everyone,

I began working on my build back in February and thought now that I'm getting close to finishing my suit I'd post my progress. Firstly, I'd like to mention I'm not going for a completely screen accurate suit. I'm making a few changes in regards to painting because I also made a TASM suit last summer with a Sonjou print and really liked the look of the puffy paint, but ill get to that in a bit. So just be aware that I'm not going for 100% screen accuracy. :)

Also I welcome all questions, comments, criticisms etc. as I know how difficult it can be to start learning all this stuff from scratch.

So anyways lets get started! I got my print from Orhadar back in late January and received my print from FOD a couple weeks later and its truly beautiful! Anyone who is thinking of purchasing a file you won't be disappointed, his attention to detail and his muscle pattern is unparalleled, and PLEASE don't go to zentai-zentai or any of those sites that have stolen his design because its disgusting what they're doing. But anyways I don't want this forum to be about that, although it is absolutely sickening. To further divulge on puffy painting, I've been reading a bunch of threads on here and noticed for the webbing people are using either latex or metallic black puffy paint. I personally like the look of the all black webs from the first tasm suit so I decided to do that instead. I also noticed that of the people who puffy painted the blue brick pattern most used the royal blue slick puffy paint color. Again, I'm not sure which is more accurate but regardless I chose to use the navy blue color that I also used on my tasm1 suit. It overall makes the contrast look a little darker, which I like, and of course, gives it that beautiful sheen that puffy paint does! Its a lot of work needless to say but well worth it, and I found that I painted the entire suit in about half the time it took me to paint the webs and blue part on my first suit. Here are a few general pics of the painting process ( and the last pic really shows off that sheen):
. IMG_1169.JPGIMG_1197.JPGIMG_1230.JPGIMG_1253.JPGIMG_1268.JPGIMG_1226.JPGIMG_1274.JPGIMG_1279.JPGIMG_1312.JPGIMG_1329.JPG

For those that are wondering about painting affecting the visibility of the muscle pattern, I say this: it does cover it up a fair amount, but trust me its still easily visible in person from virtually any angle. The only times its not noticeable I've found is when your eyes catch the sheen from the paint. So although its not as visible as a non-painted suit, its still very easy to see with a painted suit. SO if you have time to paint I highly recommend you do. Its a lot of work but the end result speaks for itself! :D

For the spiders most people have been going the silicon route, and again, I personally like the look of puffy paint even though its not screen accurate, but if I ever change my mind in the future I can always put one over top. :) So I decided to actually mix a bit of white puffy paint into the black that I used for the webs to make it a slightly lighter color, closer to the matte grey in the movie suit. I tried to make a color somewhere in-between the black in the first tasm, and the grey in the tasm2 suit. Also rather than building a wall and then filling it in like some people have done, I tried applying one line at a time that would lay beside the line I previously applied and work across one side of the spider to the other. This way the texture is a lot more consistent and smooth and when the light reflects off it, it gives a more consistent sheen rather than exposing all the bumps and unevenness that is visible in some other builds (and also happened with my first suit). I haven't puffy painted the back spider yet because I'm having a "U zip" installed and once its sewn together I'm thinking it will be easier to paint all at once to give a more consistent look, rather than having two halves being sewn together and having a more exposed seam line (if that makes sense) through the body of the spider. So once I get it my suit sewn up Ill paint the back spider! (The spider looks a lot more black in these photos than in person, its still darker than the grey on the movie suit but it doesn't look quite as dark in real life!) But hopeful they help show the process I took to painting it for a more consistent texture.
IMG_1205.JPGIMG_1206.JPGIMG_1209.JPG
Heres a pic of it with the paint dried and it laying without being pinned up:
IMG_1217.JPG

For the faceshell and lenses I was one of the few incredibly lucky people to get a spot on one of the first runs of TJack's faceshell and lens combo. I was on the third run and just got them last week. And to anyone that is waiting on theirs, or considering signing up for the wait list I say this: Its SO WORTH IT. These things truly are absolutely stunning, and I'd like to meet someone whose jaw didn't drop when they opened the box. Seriously, they're that good. As I understand from some research a member on here by the name of "Lunaman" helped with the development of them, and he was a huge inspiration for me to make this suit along with many other fantastic members on here. But anyways the lenses are curved perfectly to the shell and honestly look like they are straight off the movie set!
IMG_1366.JPGIMG_1367.JPGIMG_1368.JPG
Its a really good fit for most head sizes I would imagine. I have a pretty small head (not sure the exact measurement) but it fits me great so I believe it would fit the average-big head in a nice, snug way.
IMG_1364.JPGIMG_1365.JPG
Isn't it beautiful? ;)

For the sewing I sent my suit to Trophywife, and for anyone who doesn't know, she too is so incredibly talented! I got some pics from her a few days ago of the finished product and she's already shipped it back to me and I'm waiting to receive it. I'll probably get it later this week because I live in Canada and customs tend to delay what I order by a day or two. I went for the standard "U zip" and a zipper running up the back of the neck. I didn't add any zippers to the wrists, calves, or crotch because I'm a pretty skinny guy and can slip into my tasm suit really easily, and the Orhadar pattern doesn't exactly lend itself to a crotch zipper instalment. Not to say that its not an amazing pattern, because his muscle pattern and everything else is truly top notch. Anyways as a special request I asked for the blue seam lines that run down the legs, chest, and back to be "pulled or sewed together" And Trophywife was so incredibly accommodating to do so. And she did a terrific job at that! This way it looks like the pieces were sewn together, which more closely resembles the look of the movie suit.
Here are the pics she sent me: The front and back obviously, the last one is how well she hid the zipper (absolutely ridiculous how good she is) and the first picture is of her sewing the blue seam lines together like I mentioned above. (Again, TW did an AMAZING job!) I can't wait to hold it in person! :D
IMG_1361.JPGIMG_1360.JPGIMG_1359.JPGIMG_1362.JPG

And overall thats pretty much all I've got so far! Im not done needless to say but I should be able to finish in the next few weeks including shipping wait times.

For the shoes, I haven't done a whole lot so far. I read on a few forums that people have been buying water shoes for the inside to give the foot a more structured look. I too am considering doing this and then getting some E-6000 to glue to bottom of the fabric underneath the shoe to the sole of another shoe, in which i'll just rip the top off of like some people have done.
If anyone has a better idea of doing the shoes or likes/has done this idea and has some links to a good pair of shoes or soles please feel free to share!

Overall though thats all I can think of to post, again all questions, criticisms, and comments welcome. Thanks for reading! Excelsior!

Last edited:
This is absolutely incredible! I have also worked with Orhadar, TJack and Trophywife - 'The Terrific Three' i'm calling them :D

I can't wait to see some pics of the suit in action. On that note, I think I saw your suit on Trophywife's facebook - it made me drool

Wonderful wonderful, and thanks for the shout-out. ;) Looks pretty darn spectacular, looking forward to seeing the pieces all come together and worn.

(I almost don't feel like posting my own version, as you've documented pretty much the same process and pieces I'm using, and definitely have kicked my butt in the puff-paint department. :lol)
VERY clean application, mate, you should be really proud of how this has come out.

Wow guys! Thanks for such nice words it really means a lot! :D:D:D

I too am really looking forward to slipping into the suit. Im hoping it'll be here by thursday or friday this week so as soon as I get it you can count on this thread being updated! :)

w2228226: Thanks! Im really looking forward to it too! :D

morbius666: Thats crazy! And a great name for them! And yeah man I didn't think my suit could ever resemble anything close to some of the suits on here but it means a lot that you drooled at the sight of it sewed up ;)

Lunaman: I can't believe you read my post! hahaha you're like one of my heroes on here. Thanks for the compliments man it really does mean a lot :D and I am very proud of the puffy painting, took a long time but it was totally worth it!

So if anyone has any suggestions for shoes i'd love to hear them! If not I'll update soon with pics of the suit! :D

Great job on this! I'm so jealous of your puff painting. Such steady hands and clean application! Awesome work. I can't wait to see this completed. Ugh, now I want my own ASM2 suit even more than ever! :)

For the shoes, I have on my signature how I planned to add soles to my suit. I used knock off Toms and remove the soles. I'll put the shoe uppers inside the suit and glue the soles, sandwiching the fabric in between. I'm going to be using E6000 for a secure bond. Others have successfully added soles using water shoes/aqua socks. I think that method is far easier than what I did with mine.

Good luck!

Edit: Oops, I didn't have the link on my signature. Here's the link for my post regarding the soles: http://www.therpf.com/f78/ultimate-...rogress-inside-205156/index2.html#post3223741

Lunaman: I can't believe you read my post! hahaha you're like one of my heroes on here. Thanks for the compliments man it really does mean a lot :D and I am very proud of the puffy painting, took a long time but it was totally worth it!
You're welcome man, you deserve the praise. And hahaha, wow, Spidey's a hero, mate, I'm just a guy who wrote down the steps that I learned people before me had taken. ;) I appreciate the kind words, though. Thanks.

So if anyone has any suggestions for shoes i'd love to hear them! If not I'll update soon with pics of the suit! :D
I used tux slippers again, but a cheap pair of flossy plimsoles would also work well for much less. Some people have been using neoprene booties and a self-made sole. I think a good budget option is a pair of kung-fu slippers (which can be sewn into the suit, as the construction doesn't allow the removal of the sole:
Mens Kung Fu Shoes Chinese Martial Art Ninja Rubber Sole Canvas Slipper Slip On | eBay

Last edited:
Great job on this! I'm so jealous of your puff painting. Such steady hands and clean application! Awesome work. I can't wait to see this completed. Ugh, now I want my own ASM2 suit even more than ever! :)

For the shoes, I have on my signature how I planned to add soles to my suit. I used knock off Toms and remove the soles. I'll put the shoe uppers inside the suit and glue the soles, sandwiching the fabric in between. I'm going to be using E6000 for a secure bond. Others have successfully added soles using water shoes/aqua socks. I think that method is far easier than what I did with mine.

Good luck!

Edit: Oops, I didn't have the link on my signature. Here's the link for my post regarding the soles: http://www.therpf.com/f78/ultimate-...rogress-inside-205156/index2.html#post3223741

Thanks a lot man! Im in shock of all the kind words being said :D

And thanks a bunch for the link! Thats a really great tutorial and Im really considering going that route now. The only thing stopping me would be, like you mentioned, its a lot harder to do than the route I'm currently thinking about. But I've come this far already so I think I owe it to the suit to give it some great foot ware! :lol

I used tux slippers again, but a cheap pair of flossy plimsoles would also work well for much less. Some people have been using neoprene booties and a self-made sole. I think a good budget option is a pair of kung-fu slippers:
Mens Kung Fu Shoes Chinese Martial Art Ninja Rubber Sole Canvas Slipper Slip On | eBay

Thats a great idea too! Looks like I've got a few options to think over. I appreciate the recommendation as i'd rather have a few options to choose from rather than just one. But at least I've got a few days before I get my suit back and still a few weeks before the premiere so thankfully theres still time to stop and think!

Hey everyone, sorry its been longer for me to post than i had planned. I got the suit last week but have been really busy and will try and upload suit pics in the next few days. But it looks fantastic! I cut the eye holes a few days ago and bought the e6000 for the shoes. I haven't attached any yet, but that will be the last step to do. But until i upload pics of me in the suit i snapped a few quick pics of what it looks like. TrophyWife did a fantastic job and tjack's lens + faceshell combo looks great on the suit. Enjoy!
IMG_1381.JPGIMG_1379.JPGIMG_1388.JPG

I'm also extremely jealous of your puffy painting. What brand do you use? The black / dark grey webbing has such a good, even volume to it. Are you applying the paint with a specific method or something?

inb4 "it's just raw skill, bro"

Thanks for the compliments everyone! Im really shocked you're all impressed by it :D

I'm also extremely jealous of your puffy painting. What brand do you use? The black / dark grey webbing has such a good, even volume to it. Are you applying the paint with a specific method or something?

inb4 "it's just raw skill, bro"

I just used "Tulip Slick" puffy paint, same as most people are using, and what I, and many other people used on their tasm1 suits. The webbing is a completely black instead of the metallic black, and thanks for the compliment man! I wish I had a secret to share with you and everyone about how to do it, but truthfully I just had a lot of practice with my first tasm1 suit because i painted the entire thing, so by the time I started this one my hand was pretty well conditioned.

Occasionally when I needed to be extra steady (on like the mask or spiders) I'll hold the bottle with my fingers and thumbs with BOTH hands because then both my elbows are resting comfortably on my desk acting as a support but thats pretty much it. As far as I've read in other forums I haven't heard of many other people doing it so maybe that is a key. I just do it because it personally helps my hands be more steady. But the most important thing as many people have said is just to take your time with it. I spent roughly between 50-60 hours painting this suit. So it took a while (slower than many people are capable of I'm sure) but its the end product that matters! And i've found taking the extra time pays off. :)

Hope any of that helps!

Wow I wasn't going to puff paint the blue whenever I got around to starting a build but Damn if your brickwork isn't making me seriously consider it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Wow I wasn't going to puff paint the blue whenever I got around to starting a build but Damn if your brickwork isn't making me seriously consider it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

hahaha thanks a lot man. Its definitely a different look to say the least. The brick on just the printed pattern almost looks a little silver to me, so personally I don't think the navy blue paint color provides a "screen accurate" look (especially because of the sheen) but I've never been going for 100% accuracy. But it definitely looks awesome in its own way. It all depends on what look you're going for, but you can't really go wrong with either one lol :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back