ANH Stunt Stormtrooper helmet - as accurate as it gets! New pics

R2Dan

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys! I wanted to share some progress on a project that has been brewing up for quite some time now.
I'm sure some of you know I'm a bit of a Stormtrooper nut... so an accurate suit is obviously something I've been dreaming of for years and years now. And it all starts with a proper helmet, right?

I've had two of the green polyethylene RS lids for a while now. While the first one I got will stay in it's raw form, the second I am planning to paint and weather to match the filming helmets as closely as possible - as part of my as-accurate-as-I-could-possibly-make-it display TK as mentioned above.

Here is a pic of my two beauties, accompanied by a third which I recently built for our very own Trap Joe:
1973342_4067282776111_663778240_o.jpg

The weather here in Germany is really nice right now, winter was cancelled this year and spring starts with a bang (global warming?! *put in conspiratorial grin*), perfect time to do some paint work! So I went ahead and hosed the second one with white paint (of course with a sublayer of red primer, not that anyone will notice, except for the mist inside... but we want accuracy here, right? ;))

So here it is now, all white with the paint curing up as I write this... already looking forward to chipping some of it off, showing the nice green plastic beneath.
1781207_4098151427808_2037636104_o.jpg

If you look closely you will see some paint runs on there, these are absolutely intentional, as I want this to capture the spirit of a production-used helmet.

Got a bunch of vintage Newey snaps stashed away for the chin strap already, just need to find some accurate elastic to go with them. I also have some vintage foam left over that I ripped out of some old furniture which will make an excellent foam star for the padding!

I'll keep you guys posted on the painting progress, and on the armour build as well if there's interest - but I warn you guys, this will be a slow build, I'm still gathering all the needed bits and bobs to make it as accurate as I can, there is no need to rush this for me, I really want to make it right... which means copying/simulating as much of the sloppy nature of the real suits as I possibly can. This will not be an all neat and tidy build, quite the opposite!

That's it for now, if you like what you see, give my good friends at RS Propmasters a shout - they offer the finest ANH stunt replica to date in my humble opinion. Doesn't get much better than a first gen cast off an original I guess? ;)

Last edited:
Re: Yet another Stormtrooper helmet

Don´t you have enough TK lids already Dan? ;)

Looking forward to it!

Markus

Let me answer this with a question: Don't you have enough blasters already? ;)

A work of art Dan :)

Ben

- - - Updated - - -

Let me just add that I still can't believe how good the guys at RS got these helmets pulled. They are just as sharp as the originals. Trully beautiful.

LOL!

Nice! As soon as my ROTJ finds a new home I am going to get an RS.

Not much progress I can show, but I went out today to buy some grey paint. I know the popular choice is Humbrol 5, but it is not an exact match and I want something closer to the real grey for this helmet. Sadly all the ones I picked up today won't cut it either. If anyone has any good insight on this, please let me know :)

Took me a while, but I actually finished this one off now. Well, I say finished. I may add some more weathering and chip it a little more, but here's a preview of what it looks like now (the grey ended up being Humbrol mixed with some Testors grey to change the hue and make it less glossy):

oDuH3xh.jpg

Looks so ugly, lumpy and warped . . . I love it! Do RS Props still make these HDPE helmets?

What type of paint did you use for the white and was it brushed or sprayed on?

It's an original I'm sure of it!!!!

More pics bro. :)

Ben

Looks very nice. What white paint did you use?

I have three myself and like you, i am keeping one green.

Keith.

I used Duplicolor Aerosol gloss white on Duplicolor red metal primer. Worked out quite well and it dries super quickly.

Looks very nice. What white paint did you use?

I have three myself and like you, i am keeping one green.

Keith.

Bring em on Keith!!!

And Dan your not just going to leave us with one pic are you.Your a tease ;)

Im nearly done on my full ANH stormtrooper statue. I'm making a custom death star base at the moment for it. I sooo love my PP RS helmet. They are the mutts nuts.

Ben

Bring em on Keith!!!

And Dan your not just going to leave us with one pic are you.Your a tease ;)

Im nearly done on my full ANH stormtrooper statue. I'm making a custom death star base at the moment for it. I sooo love my PP RS helmet. They are the mutts nuts.

Ben

mate what town you in, love to have a look one day

Does anyone know where you can find a template for the cutting of the foam that goes in the lid?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back