My Builds: The growing of an eclectic collection

Re: Blaster Projects on the Workbench: DL-18, GK, Droid Blaster, E-11, DH-17 and othe

Thank you. I just purchased a different scope for it. It is going to be about .25" shorter and the knobs and shape of the bell will be a lot closer. Here it is:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131241119857

It's a lot different than a lot of the other Weaver 2.5 scopes I've been looking at. This will hold me till someone does a metal Compac Super 2 1/2 Scope.

I've noticed a few of these K2.5-1's out there as well, they look much closer to the K1.5-1 (I have one of these for my GK) than the other K2.5's out there, which have a more rounded bell shape. Another potentially good Weaver option I've recently seen is a certain era of the Weaver K4, though it would require some modification (cutting off/capping the 2nd bell). Here is a photo I found on Google. I did not take this.

K4.JPG

The knurled ring is also on the wrong side of the scope, which is pretty unfortunate, but man that bell shape is pretty close! I''ve never held one in my hand but it looks like it would be close to the correct length as well if you cut the 2nd bell.

Re: Blaster Projects on the Workbench: DL-18, GK, Droid Blaster, E-11, DH-17 and othe

New project added: Greedo's Blaster

As you can see, I have started collecting parts.

Parts on the way:

• Correct Ruger sight
  • 2x Sweep rods
  • 2x Connector reducers

Parts still needed:

• A piece for the center section of the sight (?)
  • A piece for the sight mount (?)
  • 2x Longer screws for the discs (Home Depot)
  • A piece for the standard barrel section (possibly 3D print)
  • 2x turntable pieces (3D print)

IMG_1813.jpg

The piece sticking out of the muzzle has been identified as another turntable piece, an earlier variant of the piece used on Boba Fett's boot. However, I am thinking about using the end tip of the Mk1 airsoft, I turned it around and the wide end fits perfectly in the Tomtit piece. I also thing the tip is about the right length exposed.

Thoughts?

IMG_1814.jpgIMG_1815.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Projects on the bench: Greedo Blaster, DL-18, GK, Droid Blaster, E-11, DH-17 more

Update to my projects that was not on my original list.

This is a Solo Return of the Jedi Blaster from Boba Debt's recent run. He had a member back out at the last minute and I was able to jump in.

Boba Debt did most of the major build elements, I simply did the finishing details.

Attachments

• IMG_1981.JPG
    IMG_1981.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 289
  • IMG_1977.JPG
    IMG_1977.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 260
  • IMG_1978.JPG
    IMG_1978.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 263
  • IMG_1979.JPG
    IMG_1979.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 276
  • IMG_1980.JPG
    IMG_1980.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Re: Projects on the bench: Greedo Blaster, DL-18, GK, Droid Blaster, E-11, DH-17 more

LOVE IT...David did a great job with this conversion kit, can´t wait for his next runs

So Frank, how many blasters do you have by now!? :cool

Markus

So Frank, how many blasters do you have by now!? :cool

I have 18.. 19 if you count each Jango blaster. I also have a Greedo blaster in the works, and parts coming from DEC for a Solo A New Hope hero blaster.

The Mara Jade concealed holdout blaster is wood, the Naboo Royal Blaster is is a modified Rubies, The Battle Droid Blaster are modified Hasbro, and the E-11 not encased is a hyperfirm type.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    876 KB · Views: 327
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    826.4 KB · Views: 301
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    723.8 KB · Views: 300
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    806.1 KB · Views: 303
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    825.8 KB · Views: 308
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    794.8 KB · Views: 289
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    817 KB · Views: 279
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    783.4 KB · Views: 292
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    827.3 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_1993.JPG
    IMG_1993.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 285
Last edited:

Wow, you guys are catching up fast...too fast to my liking :lol

Don´t actually know how many blasters I have currently, maybe 50-60
There´s always fluctuation due to upgrades/ sales/ new "family-members" etc.

Keep up the good work Frank!

Markus :)

Thanks Markus. But even if you only had 1/4th of your collection, I know it still blows mine away in terms of accuracy and details when you consider the real de-milled guns and MGCs. Plus, if not for you, I would never have got my hands on the air gun and parts for my DL-18.

Update: Finished my Greedo blaster. I made it an idealized version.

Special thanks to toolguy301 for designing and offering the parts on Shapeway.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    955.6 KB · Views: 553
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    877.7 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_2119.JPG
    IMG_2119.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 269
  • IMG_2116.JPG
    IMG_2116.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 262
  • IMG_2122.JPG
    IMG_2122.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 283
  • IMG_2121.JPG
    IMG_2121.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 273
  • IMG_2118.JPG
    IMG_2118.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 258

It's been a while since i did a prop project but i got a couple of Leia Blaster projects

Anyhow, I have two Leia blaster projects in the works.

• OdiWan72's direct casting of a Margolin which I want to turn into a Leia Return of the Jedi variant.
  • Rubies Leia Blaster which I may want to improve with 3D parts.
DSCF7432.JPG$_12.JPG

I'm looking for a cheap but as accurate as possible cord to wrap around the barrel. Does anyone have ideas. I found this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LO-US-Black...589?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3399ea1785

If not, can someone help with informing me of the diameter of the cord?

Also... Is there any tricks to wrapping it? Are the ends cut to a tapper to allow for the ends to rest flush against the other parts?

Re: LEIA ADDED! Blasters on the bench: Greedo, DL-18, GK, Droid, E-11, DH-17 more

I came up with about 4,3cm for the length of the cord-wrapped section, with the cord having a 4mm diameter
But you can cheat with the diameter by using a differently sized tubing to wrap it around...

And yes, you should cut the cords ends at an angle to allow it to sit flush against the sight/ grill.

Sorry for not thinking of it any sooner, but I could have send you a more accurate magplate along with your kit to upgrade the Rubies toy.

Markus

Last edited:
Re: LEIA ADDED! Blasters on the bench: Greedo, DL-18, GK, Droid, E-11, DH-17 more

Thanks for the info.

I think for the Leia projects, I may attempt to try the graphite rub on the paint for the main body. My big fear when painting a blaster, especially plastic/resin is that it will look like plastic or resin. Usually I do a flat black and faux bare metal weathering which helps the illusion. Problem is that this for this replica, I want it to look pristine since it is a weapon that belonged to a princess and I do not associate a lot of weathering to this prop. I also know that a proper paint technique is also important for avoiding the plastic look. Such as painting many thin layers and wet sanding with increasing grits with each layer.

@OdiWan72, would you be willing to share what you use for reference for the cord section? I photoscaled from a nice, side-on, high-resolution black-and-white photo of Luke holding the blaster for some of the Star Wars publicity photoshoots. I used the muzzle brake and Tomtit cylinder to set a scaling baseline. The muzzle brake/flash hider on the Rubies piece is pretty much dead-on, barring fiddly details like the two small holes in the sides near the rear, and the slightly-too-small muzzle opening. What I got for the cord-wrapped section is eleven coils (counting along the top) versus the twelve on the Rubies blaster, and the whole segment from sight to the tailing end of the engine cylinder is 63mm, versus about 56mm on the Rubies blaster. and with ~63/11, I got a cord thickness of ~5mm or 3/16", which, added to the 9/16" I got for the barrel, adds up to 15/16" overall diameter, which is within a sixteenth of an inch of what I got from scaling the photo.

@Mara Jade's Father, I'd suggest going to your local Goodwills and other thrift shops and looking through the electronics accessories like headphones and microphones and seeing if any have cords somewhere near what you need.

--Jonah

I went by the picture on partsofsw back when I built the ANH DDCD and yes, depending on which side you look at, you count 10 or 11 coils.
BUT I built i long before the TomTit part has been discovered and JUST realized that I have the coiled section to short on my replica...THANK YOU for pointing it out! so a cord thickness of about 5mm should be more accurate.

FRANK: please forget my info about the 4mm cord and the section being 43mm!:$

(DAMN...another upgrade I have no time for :lol)

Markus

@OdiWan72, would you be willing to share what you use for reference for the cord section? I photoscaled from a nice, side-on, high-resolution black-and-white photo of Luke holding the blaster for some of the Star Wars publicity photoshoots. I used the muzzle brake and Tomtit cylinder to set a scaling baseline. The muzzle brake/flash hider on the Rubies piece is pretty much dead-on, barring fiddly details like the two small holes in the sides near the rear, and the slightly-too-small muzzle opening. What I got for the cord-wrapped section is eleven coils (counting along the top) versus the twelve on the Rubies blaster, and the whole segment from sight to the tailing end of the engine cylinder is 63mm, versus about 56mm on the Rubies blaster. and with ~63/11, I got a cord thickness of ~5mm or 3/16", which, added to the 9/16" I got for the barrel, adds up to 15/16" overall diameter, which is within a sixteenth of an inch of what I got from scaling the photo.

@Mara Jade's Father, I'd suggest going to your local Goodwills and other thrift shops and looking through the electronics accessories like headphones and microphones and seeing if any have cords somewhere near what you need.

--Jonah

--Jonah

Yes, I think second hand shops are the way to go, or possibly discount outlets. The main thing is to actually see them in person. Everything looks right online but really hard to tell thickness. And cord diameter is not something they tell you on the online write ups.

Hey, I'm just glad I was able to help, Markus. I'm going shopping in a bit for the tubing I don't already have on hand. I've removed and cleaned out the muzzle brake and the inner diameter of the Rubies piece is about 7/8". which is just slightly smaller than the opening on the large end of the engine cylinder. I have a CPVC 1/2" pipe coupling that is just right to join the two -- except for needing to grind a little away so it doesn't show in the slot of the muzzle brake. I need to pick up a couple O-rings to seat it snugly in the engine cylinder end, plus tubing for the barrel.

I'm going to be following my own advice later this week to find a good candidate for the cord.

--Jonah

Gonna move this here, Frank, since it's your blaster. :D

I presume you're going to drill out the bore of the muzzle piece to .22" and then attach it to the Tomtit engine cylinder through your own means? As it is, I'm planning to stop with just the forebarrel, ready to snug into the narrow end of the engine cylinder. If you want the cylinder and muzzle pinned on, I'll need to know soon so I can sort out specifics with you. Current plan, I should have the forebarrel and cord mailed off Tuesday morning.

--Jonah

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back