My Builds: The growing of an eclectic collection

Re: Youngling Hilt - Projects: Leia, Greedo, DL-18, GK, Droid, E-11, DH-17 more

Ääääh, just to be sure - i packed a Rotj muzzle. Hope that´s right?

Than everything is shiny -i was a little bit irritated due to your "switched this build to ROTJ", as it sounds like a immediate start of the build, and i don´t know how long the shipping takes (usually i had it between 1 and 3 to 4 weeks, in both directions, but once a parcel from the US needed 3 months).

Than everything is shiny -i was a little bit irritated due to your "switched this build to ROTJ", as it sounds like a immediate start of the build, and i don´t know how long the shipping takes (usually i had it between 1 and 3 to 4 weeks, in both directions, but once a parcel from the US needed 3 months).

No worries at all. I have a bazillion projects, parts, two kids, a wife in school, etc.

I tend to do a bit on a project, leave it then come back, then leave it and then finally finish it.

I actually need to order my other Leia blaster for ANH.

This is actually a very fun build.

Thanks again.

Tom

Ultimately I want my youngling hilt to look like this:

Ep2trainingsaber.jpg

Prior to surface clean up and prep, I want to run a metal rod almost full length to give it a bit more weight. I still have a good amount of the threaded rod I used for the Leia A New Hope blaster. I started using the threaded rods and cut off long bolts on recent projects because I found it to be much cheaper than buying a piece of metal rod stock.

So all seemed to go well with the drilling:

IMG_2569.JPG IMG_2570.JPG

The threaded steal rod weighs 3oz. Combined with the hilt, the total weight is 6oz.

Next step is to Bondo the ends and clean up the seam lines.

Have not gotten too far on this due to time and some minor problems with the paint and bondo.

The primer went on well but the silver I sprayed stayed tacky. It's Florida and humid but the paint was applied in a cool air conditioned area. Not the first time with this paint so I think I will throw it away and get another can.

I also had issues with the Bondo. It mixed, applied, and dried very well. However even with primer, you could see the material difference. And something strange is going on with the Bondo in the emitter. No matter how much I sand and it feels smooth, within no time, the Bondo area rises sometimes sinks. The Bondo is not loose, it is securely packed and hardened in the hole (heh... I said "hardened in the hole"). To attempt to fix this issue, I affixed a thin sheet of plastic on each end and sanded. Even with this, today I noticed that you can see the Bondo underneath pushing on the plastic on the emitter end.

Two questions. Do the toy ones of the youngling saber still exist out there? I tried a search, but both google and bing failed me. If so, a link to them would be great.

Second, do you guys think it looks similar to the ends of Rey's staff? I would like to save myself some fabrication if at all possible. I think it looks similar, as does the Darth Maul saber, but since it is going for a ridiculous amount online, I was hoping for a cheaper option.

If this was scratch built, can you point me in the right direction for a possible tutorial?

Thanks.

Two questions. Do the toy ones of the youngling saber still exist out there? I tried a search, but both google and bing failed me. If so, a link to them would be great.

If this was scratch built, can you point me in the right direction for a possible tutorial?

Thanks.

The other Youngling variant is part of a play set. Do a search for "Jedi Gear Set" on ebay. There is one from the UK but they want $84.59 which is what too much. I have two in my collection. One that I have from the set I bought my daughter back in 1999 and another from a set i got for $9.99 on ebay

51Js1l1SM0L.jpg

Second, do you guys think it looks similar to the ends of Rey's staff? I would like to save myself some fabrication if at all possible. I think it looks similar, as does the Darth Maul saber, but since it is going for a ridiculous amount online, I was hoping for a cheaper option.

The end of Rey's staff does seem to use design helmets from Maul but other than the other Youngling saber, it is no where near the same size. The other Youngling saber is a built from a small handle of a figure, and you need two of them to make the body of the saber.

sw_f_darth_maul_deluxe.jpg

Attached is an old tutorial created by JediDentist many years ago.

I believe I still have two handles I was going to use for the project. If you want to PM me a generous offer, I may be willing to part with them (assuming I can locate them).

Attachments

• younglingtutorialfinal[1].doc
    640 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

The one you posted that looks similar to Maul's is what I thought looked like it. I'm having a hard time finding a maul saber for a decent price. The Rubies one doesnt look right, but the hasbro one does. Ive also seen a maul watch in a case that looks like the end of his saber,but im not sure of its size. I would love if i could find a resin or 3D printed end since that is the bit that is eluding me. The rest i can put together from home depot. Suggestions?

Please excuse spelling error or lack of capitals, my phone doesn't want to cooperate.

PS I understand the Florida humidity, i live on the westide of Jax

The one you posted that looks similar to Maul's is what I thought looked like it. I'm having a hard time finding a maul saber for a decent price. The Rubies one doesnt look right, but the hasbro one does. Ive also seen a maul watch in a case that looks like the end of his saber,but im not sure of its size. I would love if i could find a resin or 3D printed end since that is the bit that is eluding me. The rest i can put together from home depot. Suggestions?

Please excuse spelling error or lack of capitals, my phone doesn't want to cooperate.

PS I understand the Florida humidity, i live on the westide of Jax

Don't really know too much about the Rey staff. It looks like it's based off a full sized Maul so you would not want anything Smalll like a youngling hilt. The cheapest things I can think of that are close to scale are the old Electronic flip out blade sabers by Hasbro or the Maul hilt LED flashlight. Check eBay for costs. But what you probably should want is a resin copy. I also recommend you go to the Rey costuming thread and ask there: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=237501

Here is where i am right now:

IMG_2572.JPG

The original plan was to prime, spray silver, then spray the black sections, then hand paint the detail. However as I mentioned earlier, the silver spray was problematic and I used up all my primer. So i just sprayed flat black because this spray paint is suppose to be both primer and paint. Next, when I have time, do the rest with acrylics by hand.

I'm calling this project done.

As I said in a previous post, I added a steel rod which doubled the weight (now 6oz) so it has a nice heft to it. Happy with the paint job as I think it looks quite close to the original prop.

image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg

My my next project will be adding upgraded Solo's Hold parts to my Greedo Killer.

Last edited:

I upgraded my Greedo Killer with a new grill and scope machined by @SoloHold. Awesome parts.

View attachment 526385 View attachment 526386

that Blaster is looking really nice :)

I really wanted the Grill & Scope from this run to upgrade mine but I was already down for 2 ESB kits from Boba Debt & a V2

I've got to ask ... Have you got the scope knobs mounted the right way round on Compac Scope?

I thought the sloped/rounded part was behind the knobs?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    448.7 KB · Views: 123
Re: UPGRADED GK - Builds: Leia, Greedo, DL-18, GK, Droid, E-11, DH-17, Youngling, mor

These look fantastic!

Ironically, I'm young enough to have played with that Jedi Kit. And i'm 24. I still have that toy Qui Gon saber and it looks like I may hold onto it!

it makes sense I got into props actually....I liked this kit because it was one of the few with a thin lightsaber handle and not those chunky club sized hilts.

that Blaster is looking really nice :)

I really wanted the Grill & Scope from this run to upgrade mine but I was already down for 2 ESB kits from Boba Debt & a V2

I've got to ask ... Have you got the scope knobs mounted the right way round on Compac Scope?

I thought the sloped/rounded part was behind the knobs?

Thanks guys. That never even occurred to me when putting it together.

Re: LEIA ADDED! Blasters on the bench: Greedo, DL-18, GK, Droid, E-11, DH-17 more

It´s packed, and my wife will bring it to the post office tomorrow. Have thrown some other stuff in, hope you gonna like it.

Please let me know when it arrives (or not, then we need to find another way to get you a muzzle)

Got it. Thanks so much. It's perfect and I really appreciate the bonus pieces.

Thanks again. You are awesome.

Tom

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back