ANH 'Reveal' Macrobinoculars - Gathering vintage parts & building it

Andymac84

Sr Member
Current state:
Click on the images to view them larger:thumbsup

---older first post---
Vintage parts of (movie) history.. :) I like them and love the hobby. There's still so many to discover.
Here's what I found so far:

Last edited:
Re: Lukes ANH Macrobinocular - Gathering vintage parts

Will check your thread :)
I've found some more parts in the meantime:

Aaaaaand:

The top of the Kalimar is something dented on top, but I think I can fix it. For less than 200 without shipping costs, it was fairly a good price..
I have to thank trooper for keeping me informated and on track to get a Kalimar:thumbsup
and those who were offering me theirs, too.:thumbsup

Re: ANH Macrobinoculars - Gathering vintage parts - Basic parts 100% complete:)

Wow ... those are looking mighty fine to shoot a movie or pictures ... oh wait you're going for Luke's Macro's ... even better :) ... and leave that dent it only adds character to your piece.

Chaim

Yes, you're right :) more character is good.
But at the moment I've some worries about ripping the cameras apart...hmm.....:/

Hence I've only added some D-rings to my vintage flashguns ... all my Exactra's are still intact ... even after several years :wacko . . . just do it ;)

Chaim

Normally I'm okay with you guys tearing stuff down for authentic parts, but as a photographer it kills me to see the Kalimar and the Japanese TLR (seagull?) be pulled apart.
I'm just going to sit here watching from behind my hands.

Normally I'm okay with you guys tearing stuff down for authentic parts, but as a photographer it kills me to see the Kalimar and the Japanese TLR (seagull?) be pulled apart.
I'm just going to sit here watching from behind my hands.

I hear you but...it's all worm food, right? Nothing lasts forever. It will bring as much joy to someone as macros as it will to another as a camera, and in the end it won't be around in a few hundred years either way.

Good points here on both sides. Besides that I haven't read about a working kalimar for some time now....
I would still love to get a nice big display together with my vintage cams plus a replica macrobinoculars:)

I have a kalimar that is in perfect condition, with original receipt, box and packing....I just cant do it :lol it's a thing of beauty. it's going to get displayed right next to my macro's also with my other cameras used for making this build
so norvillerogers- we are not all heartless :)

I have just picked up the kalimars, bizarrely got 2 in 2 days after searching for ages, one is from here (thanks Marv) so I'll be starting my set soon, I just need to wait for my business partner to get back off holiday so I'm not pulling the 12 hour days.

I think the Bell and Howell ought to be the grey knob, Zombie Killer put up a fantastic post on the Macro's some time ago and seemed to suggest that the grey one was used for this. Think that came about the same time it was realised that two sets of the small Kalimar knobs were needed and not Seagull knobs.

Small update on this and some further details:
When I was looking for a Eumig I've found one and placed a bid on it. Shortly after that I found another one in pristine condition and couldn't resist to buy it instantly. So I did. Buuut there was the other auction still ongoing and I won this one, too. :facepalm It turned out to be defect and in a kinda bad shape. So I picked the good one up for display and made a decision to convert the other one. :thumbsup
I've ordered some great parts from trooper, who did the famous casted set a few years from now.
I got the transition box, lense plate, a mystery box, and several casted knobs (so I don't have to destroy the cams) at a very great deal. Thanks again trooper.:cool:thumbsup
I took the "Eumig fixed" thread from the board and started immediately after the postman left the box at my door:
As u can see I've decided to get out as little as possible (to keep the weight and kinda vintage coolness) and I think I hit it perfect:

Everythings is still in place.
I took some screws from the inside and putted them outside to get the box onto the Eumig body AND the already excisting holes(y)

Now it's rock solid and in place for eternity (I hope so:))

And a quick test with the Kalimar hood. Fits tight and very well.
My idea was to get the Eumig body prepared and ready to a conversation. So I could let the cams displayed at their present state and convert the geared up Eumig whenever I want to show it.

So you mean to say that you have almost all the parts for a second set of macrobinoculars ;)

Chaim

Done some work on the Macrobinoculars today:)

Some good ole drilling:) that was an easy part. I thought this is going to be a hard way..
After some drilling, cutting and shape with a file within the lense plate --> it's attached onto the body! Wohoo!

Macrobinoculars tip:
Use a spacer between the body and the lense plate to grant a tight fit within the gap without denting the plate!

After that the belt clip was to be next in line:

Macrobinoculars tip:
Also use a spacer between the body and the belt clip, so it's granted to open the door after that! (If u want to...probably for some inerts or working electronics)

And finally a test with the lenses on the plate --> plus Kalimar hood on the other side:

Still have to see how to get the knobs onto it and glue the bubble strip on top of it.:thumbsup
I highly recommend trooper as a partner for that built. He's very friendly and helpful with everything.:thumbsup

I know my belt clip sit on the side not in the middle of the eumig. But I wanted it that way as I thought this looks better and also matches the reference shots showing the stunt version.:thumbsup

Last edited:
Re: ANH Macrobinoculars - Gathering vintage parts & building it :)

your doing great :thumbsup im looking forward to seeing finished

im happy to be of help :)

Re: ANH Macrobinoculars - Gathering vintage parts & building it :)

Little update. The Kalimar knobs are easy to remove with a tiny screwdriver. I added those to the top of my hood. Updated pics will come.
Here's a recent shot in my glas showcase, macros sit upon a special stand. ;) Plus finally added the bubble strip. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back