Borderlands Loot Chest-Model Scale

drjag

So to no surprise, I have started ANOTHER Borderlands project. This time, I'm making a model sized Borderlands loot chest from Borderlands 1; I say Borderlands 1 instead of Borderlands in general because the red loot chests from both games have different textures, and I prefer the original model. Making a loot chest has been on my mind for quite a long time, and I recently bought a pack of 1mm styrene for a different project. I had some left over so the opportunity popped up.

So to begin with research, I found something very useful; one of the employees at Gearbox called Jeff Broome (known as botman in the Gearbox forums) has made a few pepakura models from Borderlands, the loot chest is one of them. (he also has the sanctuary loot chest aswell, which is basically just a different texture on the same model) So from that pepakura file, I edited the templates in Pepakura designer to be used for styrene. To my advantage, I have a physical reference of the loot chest from the Ultimate Loot Chest edition of Borderlands 2. It's not entirely accurate, (like the paint job, the "damage" and the lock) but primary sources have their own advantages compared to secondary sources, such as visualizing, shape, inspiration and comparison.

Here is the link to botman's models. Inside the Box: Papercraft - The Gearbox Software Forums
For those who may want the styrene edit I did. NOTE: I don't own this file, I just edited it. Borderlands Red Loot Chest Styrene edit by drjag - Download - 4shared - drjag Creations

So my goals for this project is to make it light up, have a working lock, have a hinge to lift the lid and to make it as SCREEN ACCURATE as possible. We'll see how it goes.

On to the pictures:

This is the faceplate. The slots are cut out because I plan to have green LED's shining through once the other pieces are glued on and this will help wire through the LED's and power source.

To do the rounded parts, I heated up the styrene using a heat gun and formed it round a cylinder with a very close curve to the loot chest. NOTE: If you're using your hands to shape the styrene with a heat gun, wear thick gloves! I wear thermal gloves which work very well.

This is the base, the strip down the middle is reinforcement because it's two pieces glued together instead of one. (my styrene wasn't long enough for 1 piece)

The curved areas were glued first, then I glued on the flat pieces against a 90 degree wall and held together with frog tape to ensure a 90 degree edge when glueing.

Here, the back half is glued on and strips of styrene are glued down the seems for reinforcement. The outside edge was then filed down and sanded smooth and lastly, milliput was added on the inside across the seems for reinforcement.

That's all for the first post, I'm working on the lid and the trim around the box so that's probably coming up next.

Until then...

Update:

I have begun work on the lid section of the chest. Took a bit of time to assemble properly.

Their were more pieces I was going to attach but as I have discovered, although the Pepakura templates are a good guideline, the thickness of the styrene affects the joins, whereas if you were to make it out of cardstock, the thickness is not a variable. Shaping the styrene (like bending it) also affects joins and proportions so the joins are not exactly perfect but the superglue has joined the majority. I had to trim edges and cut slits to ensure a good join on all of the pieces. Once the lid is structurally complete, I will fill gaps and blend edges with milliput and sand/file flush, then continue on with raised detail.

Until then...

Update:

So since last time, I kind of slacked off and pushed this to the side for a while, then a few days ago, I decided to do some serious progress on the chest.

I have made the centre box where the lock goes. I plan on cutting out a section in the middle to add on the extras and have a cavity where a lock mechanism can sit.

As with the lid and the box, The lid is almost complete with the "metal" strips along it and the rim glued on and shaped. I used milliput to fill gaps and to shape it better. I plan on glueing a big sheet under the lid and cutting off the excess so the lid is flat, I'll have to wait to get bigger material.

The box itself has had the rim glued around it and the "metal" plates have been stacked.

That's all for now, there is not that many pieces left to build and glue on. I'm still figuring out how I'm gonna do the lock and I'm sorting out wiring for LED's (something I've never done before)

Until then...

Update:

So I've been working on the front section where the lock and the lights are, on the model, there are two horizontal cylindrical pieces which "lock" the box in the game, I don't have the know how to make them retract to "unlock" the box so it can be opened, instead, I'll just have two cylindrical pieces running through which will be fixed.

As everyone knows, round, cylindrical object are arguably the hardest things to replicate, so obviously, I'm gonna use an object instead. I found this pack of blades with two knock-off x-acto's. The diameter of the thinner x-acto was the perfect diameter to fit in the "lock". I picked up two packs.

I drilled out the holes so the blades can be slotted into place, it's just a dry fit at the moment, once I line them up, I'll fix them in with milliput.

After thinking through with the lock, I've decided just to make a mock one, meaning it won't function. It's easier to make and I don't think there is enough space to make a functioning lock anyway without changing the size and appearence which won't make it screen accurate. I do still plan on making the panels light up. I have some 1mm perspex which I have "frosted." (sanded with sandpaper) This makes it opaque and it helps spread the light that the LED produces, plus it eliminates hot spots which is a plus. I haven't glued in the perspex yet because I want to paint the chest first, then I'll glue it in.

Until then...

hey man, would love to see the finished product, that is if you finished it XD. great build, one i would love to do myself.

also if you do not mind me asking what heat gun is that, I've been looking for one for styrene bending but know nothing about the heat level required.

Last edited:
I'd love to see this, too.. I'm a huge Borderlands fan, on the PC, though. I'll have to check out his other work with Borderlands.

I started one of these years ago, too - to go with my Claptrap model that I also never finished.
Yours already looks better than mine.
Did you finish it?

(Oh, and BL1>BL2)

My my, this thread has come alive all of a sudden with fresh comments! It's been a while (about 22 months) so here goes...

@12Gage That heat gun is an Am-Tech 1500w heat gun. It's super cheap and does the same job as any other heat gun. Any heat gun will do styrene forming (plus other plastics) so there's no need to buy an expensive one. In terms of scale of heat needed for forming, kitchen ovens provides more than enough heat, and a heat gun easily exceeds oven temperatures.

@Axlotl Unfortunately, the project just never worked out. My approach was wrong from the start as the lid just didn't marry up well with the main body, despite lots of attempts (never uploaded those attempts either.) Since then, I have taken up 3D modelling and I 3D modelled a loot chest quite recently, with a functional lid so who knows, maybe I'll print it one day... Or at least upload it for others to try out.

Really like to see your 3D version. I'd give it a try...I've got an Ultimaker :D

Rob

Sent from [location encrypted]...somewhere on the Tharkside of Barsoom ;)

@RobertH If you're serious about giving it a shot, I'll gladly upload it, I just need some time to upload it so for the mean time, here's a couple screenshots I took a while ago.

2016-01-12 (1).png

2016-01-12.png

I'll upload a link to Thingiverse in a couple days when I have more free time.

@RobertH If you're serious about giving it a shot, I'll gladly upload it, I just need some time to upload it so for the mean time, here's a couple screenshots I took a while ago.

View attachment 589721

View attachment 589722

I'll upload a link to Thingiverse in a couple days when I have more free time.

You bet I am! Can't wait to try it. I have 3 I've gotten with various Borderlands Loot Chest game incarnations and would love to see what my U2E can do with yours. :D

Rob

Sent from [location encrypted]...somewhere on the Tharkside of Barsoom ;)

@RobertH Well... I got it uploaded way faster than I thought so as promised, here is the Thingiverse link. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1331362

If you have any questions about it like assembly, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help. Any tips, advice and feedback for improving the model is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Very cool. Gamestop was offering one but it was pretty small for the price and since it had stuff in it wasn't practical. Be neat to build a few that could be stacked for storing stuff in...I have so many cables and spare controllers. Edit: if anyone wants to make one of these check harbor freight for knock off xactos, i got a set as a stocking stuff for 1.99.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back