romeo and juliet gun spinning

chris199

Can anyone help me out on how to spin the guns like mercutio and benvolio did in the movie during the beach scene? Im in the process of making benvolios sword 9mm and the base is a "WE sword cutlass" (it was the closest thing to benvolios gun and its full metal) and when i try to spin it, it is pretty heavy and when they spun theirs they made their guns look so light and easy to spin..can anyone give me some insight on how to do what they did?

Last edited:
Haven't seen the movie, but for gun-spinning dvds go to Western Stage Props. They also sell whip cracking supplies too.
A lot of it is just practice.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

if your talking gun spinning in the palm of the hand style, its usually a ring attached to a pivot, very simple. You dont want just the ring as it could break or damage a finger. Imagine the pivot as a ball bearing that allows the weight and momentum to carry instead of being focused on the first stress point it finds which is skin on the finger. For props the item in question is usually balanced to the pivot mount, in the case the trigger or trigger guard. The issue your going to quickly run into is the pot metal material the WE gun is made from. Real steel is what you would be after as well as reinforced mounts where the trigger attaches to the gun itself. If not, remember what I said about stress points. Something will give sooner than later and injury will occur.

Wow thanks i really needed to know that, and yes you're right something could happen and i break a finger :0 , i appreciate you giving me some insight on this :D

Yeah, especially dont try spin cocking an unaltered 1887 shotgun(full size, 12 lbs unloaded). Bad sprain to the wrist/fingers.

Also tried to do it with a .45 LC 1892 replica with a 24" octoganal barrel. Guess didn't learn.
Boy, those old westerns need safety warnings.
"Dont do this. We're professionals with highly modified guns. You do it
without one, you are an idiot."

There's a guy on YouTube named Will Roberts who has a video or two on gun spinning basics. That might be helpful.
Love Romeo + Juliet! Especially that scene and those pistols.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back