Need Help, Painting Obi Grenade and Booster

Polluxius

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey Guys. I am repainting my obi grenade and my booster that is coming soon. What is the best way to paint it using spray paint. It is a Roman grenade and booster. FYI, I SUCK at painting. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Polluxius@Jan 3 2006, 11:07 PM
Hey Guys.  I am repainting my obi grenade and my booster that is coming soon.  What is the best way to paint it using spray paint.  It is a Roman grenade and booster.  FYI, I SUCK at painting.  Thanks in advance.
[snapback]1150034[/snapback]​

multiple layers. Don't coat it on from applying too close to the pieces.

Originally posted by lesternessman+Jan 4 2006, 10:33 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lesternessman @ Jan 4 2006, 10:33 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Polluxius
@Jan 3 2006, 11:07 PM
Hey Guys.  I am repainting my obi grenade and my booster that is coming soon.  What is the best way to paint it using spray paint.  It is a Roman grenade and booster.  FYI, I SUCK at painting.  Thanks in advance.
[snapback]1150034[/snapback]​

multiple layers. Don't coat it on from applying too close to the pieces.
[snapback]1150346[/snapback]​
[/b]

Yeah, multiple THIN layers.
But first, wipe it down with acetone--let dry--lightly wipe w a tack rag(to get lint & dust off--remember that paint doesn't like the cold. I paint stuff in my basement and since it's usually cold down there in the winter, I put the piece I'm painting under a nice hot light to try and warm the piece. Then I run my paint can under hot water to warm it up.
When both, paint and object are warm 77deg.+ your paint will lay much better.
Hope this helps.

Very thin coats of paint. Degreasing is essential. Use a good paint like Krylon or Rustoleum.

Don't rush it and wait for the layers to dry completely.

Why paint when you can use Aluminum Black for the Aluminum Boosters? Is Roman's grenade Aluminum or Steel?

Anodizing is also a good method of coloring Aluminum.

Aren't Romans Boosters Anodized?

FB

They are BOTH aluminum FB. I have never used Aluminum Black and thought that I should paint, so that the relults could be reversed WHEN I screw up. HEHE, thanks guys.

If you degrease it good, then prime it, you can wet sand it to smooth out the finish.

By doing real thin coats, you won't really have a problem with lint because it will come off most of the time by rubbing it after it dries.

If your coat of paint is to thick, the lint will be embedded in the thick paint and be harder to get out.

I don't know much about Clear Coat though. Straight out of a can it's pretty thick and tends to orange peel from what I remember. An airbrush would be the best way to apply it I would think.

FB

Originally posted by franz bolo@Jan 5 2006, 07:21 AM
If you degrease it good, then prime it, you can wet sand it to smooth out the finish.

By doing real thin coats, you won't really have a problem with lint because it will come off most of the time by rubbing it after it dries.

If your coat of paint is to thick, the lint will be embedded in the thick paint and be harder to get out.

I don't know much about Clear Coat though. Straight out of a can it's pretty thick and tends to orange peel from what I remember. An airbrush would be the best way to apply it I would think.

FB
[snapback]1151102[/snapback]​
Well, I have no airbrush or the skills to use it. Any suggestions to finishing it with applying clear coat? And which brand to use?

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back