can it go from eva foam to fiberglass?

robowildcat

I had a local costume builder make me an 80% replica of the classic robocop suit. Ive never doing anything with cosplay or costume building before but want to know after having a mishap with this eva foam build which was coated with Plasti dip and then painted to look silver/blue mix. the reason im asking if it could be converted or strengthened to fiberglass is the original is fiberglass, ive been looking at posts and videos on coating foam but not many videos suggest a certain type of resin, besides epoxy, or polyurethane, or fiberglass mat. i just want to know a step by step process if any that i can use the eva foam build and replicate it into another build or be able to harden this eva foam, im not worried about movement when the eva foam came apart from me walking in it within 5 minutes. I was told how to do the paint process by the guy who built the suit as i altered the shoes for more padding "yoga mats, traced the foot outline, and low temp glue gun and applied 4 layers of thin mat not sure the mm but the paint was needed thus i was able to enhance the shoe/foot part of the build with much accomplishment.

Also... Maybe take a look at James from XRobots info on using smooth on products as a coating, he's got some awesome tutorials that have helped me alot.

I haven't tried coating my foam builds in resin or fibreglass, but like I said, it might point you in the right direction...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You want to turn a foam armor into a hard armor?

Good luck. This is exactly why I don't think much of foam build armors. It looks like you'll have to do a new armor from scratch with the materials you want.

Also... Maybe take a look at James from XRobots info on using smooth on products as a coating, he's got some awesome tutorials that have helped me alot.

You could try two things, but neither will give ideal results:

1) Plastic coat the foam, although this is mainly for a better finish rather than strength: XRobots.co.uk - Plastic coating your Plastazote / EVA / Polystyrene foam / cardboard props and costumes

2) Make moulds from the foam suit and make rigid casts. However this will be expensive to buy all the moulding materials, it's hard to keep the foam pieces in shape when you mould them, and you'll still end up with a lot of cleaning up work on the casts: XRobots.co.uk - Iron Man MkVI Armour Moulding in Silicone RTV

what about using bondo fiberglass resin? ive watched the video someone did but it was regular foam and not eva foam but ive also been ready people have issues because the eva foam doesnt absorb the resin and the resin doesnt want to cure. I'm 6'2" 315 lbs im n ot worried about the weight of the suit just dont want it falling apart while because i do want to use this for more than just one event/function. after all is said and done for this suit then ill work on getting an auto9 and a primer grey 95 ford Taurus to turn into the Detroit police cruiser

what about using bondo fiberglass resin? ive watched the video someone did but it was regular foam and not eva foam but ive also been ready people have issues because the eva foam doesnt absorb the resin and the resin doesnt want to cure. I'm 6'2" 315 lbs im n ot worried about the weight of the suit just dont want it falling apart while because i do want to use this for more than just one event/function. after all is said and done for this suit then ill work on getting an auto9 and a primer grey 95 ford Taurus to turn into the Detroit police cruiser

Fiberglass resin will be weak without reinforcement, and yes it probably won't stick all that well.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back