Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Post-release)

Finally saw this, good solid super hero flick! :cool:thumbsup I'm not a fan of the Avengers,(movie or comics) and I thought the film was awful (I know, I'm in a VERY small minority :lol ) but this is one I will eventually buy, along with the 1st Captain America.

Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

I'm not that familiar with Captain America, besides the basics and what's presented in the movies, but does seem like anybody else that he was a bit too strong in TWS? I mean, as I understand he's strong but on the super human strength scale he's pretty low on it, if not at the bottom, and the super soldier syrum didn't provide him any kind of limited invlnerability yet we see him doing things that should have at the least broken a few bones if not killed him outright. One example was in the beginning where he jumped out of the quin jet without a parachute and into the water, shouldn't that have at the very least smashed his legs into tiny little bits because he's not Wolverine with admantium laced bones, or Hulk and his near complete invulnerability.

The shield absorbs impacts, as stupid as that sounds, as long as he lands on the shield the momentum of the fall is cancelled out,

Well, if the shield is supposed to absorb vibration then it really shouldn't make any sound when hitting anything.
But it doesn't ruin the movie for me.

BTW the only line of dialogue that still irks me is from Captain America: The First Avenger. It's when he first picks up the shield and asks Stark, "Why isn't this standard issue?" Shields standard issue? Really?

Well, besides the fact that there isn't enough Vibranium arounf to mass produce anyways, the fact that firing requires two hands to be able to be even somewhat accurate, coupled with the fact that grenades still kill from the shockwave...but yes I suppose something that stops bullets is good, generally speaking...
You don't think something that stops bullets would come in handy to the average soldier?

I enjoyed it over all, but there were a few of things I thought were pretty silly:

The James Bond villain moment of the evil Nazi computer explaining the villainous plot. What was the point of that scene.
The whole last action sequence. That they had to insert chips into each helicarrier to bring them down? Seemed like an annoying mission in a PS1 game.
The fact that Falcon's wings are completely unnecessary. (as evidenced by iron man and war machine flying just fine without giant bird wings)

The fact that Falcon's wings are completely unnecessary. (as evidenced by iron man and war machine flying just fine without giant bird wings)
Evidently repulsor technology is proprietary.

So Tony Stark has better toys than Sam Wilson. Of course he does. He's a billionaire.

I can accept that explanation, but giant metal bird wings? Maybe decades ago it seemed like possible future tech, but modern day it seemed cheesy.

Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

The shield absorbs impacts, as stupid as that sounds, as long as he lands on the shield the momentum of the fall is cancelled out,

I can buy that except that in the opening scene Cap didn't land on his shield, he hit the water feet first and super solider syrum or not he probably should have turned his legs into kindling from the height that he jumped in at. Like I said, I know he's strong but I don't think he's that strong, not to the point where he can survive impacting water from several hundred feet in the air.

Well, besides the fact that there isn't enough Vibranium arounf to mass produce anyways, the fact that firing requires two hands to be able to be even somewhat accurate, coupled with the fact that grenades still kill from the shockwave...but yes I suppose something that stops bullets is good, generally speaking...

I don't know about grenades killing through shockwave, grenades don't kill through explosive force (unless you're right on top of it), they kill from shrapnel so vibranium body armor would help immensely. Question is, would it be better than the current Kevlar vests issued now, as it stands even the older PAGST vests which had no ballistic protection could protect the wearer from a grenade blast so long as they weren't right on top of it. In fact, that's the primary purpose of flak vests, to protect the wearer from shrapnel from exploding artillery and grenades.Injuries from shockwaves really wasn't much of an issue until Iraq and Afghanistan where the troops were getting hit from large IEDs made from things like unexploded artillery shells and bombs, you're talking a much, much bigger boom there than from a hand grenade.

I can accept that explanation, but giant metal bird wings? Maybe decades ago it seemed like possible future tech, but modern day it seemed cheesy.
I have two answers for that:

1. The pack was designed for pararescue. He can shut the jets and glide silently without alerting the enemy. I'd imagine it's also a good way to conserve fuel. Stark's suit is anything but silent. (In fact he'd prefer to blast out Black Sabbath to announce his arrival.)

2. He's got wings in the comics.

- - - Updated - - -

I can buy that except that in the opening scene Cap didn't land on his shield, he hit the water feet first and super solider syrum or not he probably should have turned his legs into kindling from the height that he jumped in at. Like I said, I know he's strong but I don't think he's that strong, not to the point where he can survive impacting water from several hundred feet in the air.
Evidently he is that strong simply because he did it, right? LOL.

The thing that bugs me, particularly in the Avenger films is not the "stretching" of super powers (Cap's strength, invulnerability, etc.), but the "bestowing" of these qualities on people that don't have any super powers (Falcon catching Cap in mid air, one handed even, leaping into the chopper, Nick Fury jumping from a helicopter...the list goes on ;) ). Then I remember: "Oh yeah, it's just a movie!" :lol :lol :lol Though too much of that can really take me out of the story.

The whole last action sequence. That they had to insert chips into each helicarrier to bring them down? Seemed like an annoying mission in a PS1 game.

If they didn't have the sequence with those chips, I'd have to find another prop to replicate. ;)

Finally got around to watching this. I liked the actors and there were good moments but overall this thing was a poor follow up. It's way too long with numerous disposable scenes and characters. You could easily cut 20 minutes out. Disappointing.

Why don't you just say you hate America. Because that's what I'm reading. :)
I tell my wife every week or so that I'm watching Captain America... and when she says "how many times are you going to watch that stupid movie?" I say "Quiet woman... if you don't like this movie you're Al Qaeda!!"

I thought CA:TWS had a pretty good pace given the run time.

PS
hail-hydra-ft.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back