2014 Scarlet Spider build

martinezjoe182

Jr Member
Hey everyone this is my first build in the world of costumes and superhero suits.I'am going to start with a brief intro of my self; i am a college student finishing up my Graphic design degree, i love art and getting creative. I build cars (mostly mazda and rotary) in my spare time and create tons of art on the side. Other than that lets get to the fun stuff!

i have been gathering and making supplies to make a suit for C2E2 (Chicago's most excellent comic convention). i decided to create my favorite spiderman character from my favorite marvel story arc ' the clone saga' and what is the clone sagas without a clone? thats right I'm making a Ben Riley Scarlet Spider costume. i have been making and gathering my materials and started with some of it, so the pictures on this build will go fairly quick as i have been waiting for some free time to build this thread. without further a due lets start this thread!

Last edited:
So after the initial idea, i sized my self up with the help of my girlfriend and sent over my muscle designs and sizing over to Zentai-Zentai.com, they do custom sized and sewn suits and ship them over to the states, i haven't seen too many build using these suits so we will see how it turns out when it arrives.

After that i decided i wanted to go all out, and make THE BEST suit for scarlet spider, a more realistic scarlet spider rather then a comic looking one...something you would see in real life or a movie version, so accuracy of the character was a top priority, after searching for the best color i finally ordered 2 hoodies off of ebay for pretty cheap, i decided to go with this light blue/ teal one because the other one was too dark. heres the link, the color is Aqua!

New Plain Blank Hooded Hoodie Pullover Sweatshirt Sz s XXL 3XL 80 Cotton Heavy | eBay
h.jpg

next i found some awesome pouch choices at this website called Medieval Swords, Renaissance Clothing, Shields, Helms, LARP Weapons, And Traditional Archery By Medieval Collectibles i chose some 3.5in x 3.5in pouches with a gold buckle very cool!
f.jpg

Last edited:
finally i decided to order Goosebot 5000's Scarlet spider frames/lenses as i felt that they were most accurate and looked great! he did an amazing job on them! he also helped me out and included some unfinished spider tracers which i will put to use on my costume's belt perhaps.
dd.jpgs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
now i was unlucky because i needed a faceshell and AZSpidey hasn't made them in a while and the rest on RPF had pre cut eye holes for TASM2, so i was lucky enough after some digging, to find a seller on eBay who does some pretty nice Faceshells. he shipped quick and it was a bit rough around the edges, ill have to sand/angle grind it down a bit to fit my large ears. once i got it i immediately molded the eyes from Goosebot 5000 to fit the face shell using an oven flame (LOW HEAT OF COURSE!) then once pliable i held them to the shell for about 5 minutes each until they were cooled and i was finished, i currently have them tapped on to mock up what they will look like.

sp3.jpgsp2.jpgsp.jpg

next up i purchased some thin soled Kung-fu shoes from eBay, they worked perfect and are true to size i would defiantly get these for any future suits i make, i chose them because they have a low profile sole so when i remove the cloth it will be barley noticeable under my suits feet,and whats cool is it comes in red (scarlet spider,TASM, Rami style) black (Negative zone, big time, symbiotie) and white (future foundation, cosmic) heres the link

fff.jpg

Mens Kung Fu Shoes Chinese Martial Art Ninja Rubber Sole Canvas Slipper Slip On | eBay

Last edited:
as for the web shooters i liked how some of the foam formed ones had rounded edges, but they didn't give that awesome shiny feel to them. so i decided to go open ended with the sacrifice of roundness, for the benefit of shine! more to come on what i will be using to make them/ what i will be doing to prep and paint and the process used!

Ahhh YES, a fellow clone brother. Good luck my friend, I've subscribed to follow your progress. Thanks for finding my thread as well, I hope it helps you in either what to do, or what not too. Goosebot 5000 is a great reference as well. The only advise I can give you is, "Have Fun!"

Later today I'll post some web shooter pictures and do some work on them, and some of the progress on my web pack to keep all my gear and items in it for the Con (I'm taking a new approach on that)

Wow dude, color me impressed. Those pouches are nearly perfect, and from everything I see so far it looks like it's going to be put together very professionally :p Keep it up!

Wow dude, color me impressed. Those pouches are nearly perfect, and from everything I see so far it looks like it's going to be put together very professionally :p Keep it up!

thanks I'm really pumped to get this done! I'm just a bit hesitant on the face shell not fitting under the lycra which was sized to fit my head without a shell on it.

The hardest part about a face shield is just learning how to put it on with the mask. Not to mention if you put some kind of sweat band in your face shield. Good Luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yea sweat dripping on my suit would not be fun, great idea. but 'I'm new to lycra' so i wanted to know if a custom fitted mask would stretch enough to fit a faceshell under it?

So today i worked on quite a bit of stuff, it turned out to be a great work day. ill start off with what took me the longest, the web pack. being an art student, we try to use things in a way which they aren't meant to be used and try new things, so i went to the thrift store with my girlfriend (so she could pick up some stuff for her gwen stacy costume) and i was looking around and i found this plain white triple 8 helmet. i decided to make the web pack out of that. seeing that i would put all my gear and items from the con in there (cell phone, wallet, goodies) i wanted it to have forum but most importantly function. so i started by taking out all the helmets padding and straps, then i did a light sanding to grip to the yarn better. after that i took an old bed sheet and cut it in half creating a half pouch for the helmet (reinforces the pack itself so i can fit heavy/lots of items in it). i used Epoxy for most of the glueing, and some old lock rite i had laying around. (I'm sure hot glue would work but i didn't have any on hand). after that set i started attaching an upper flap to hold larger object without them falling out of the pack, and i used some velcrow patches from the helmet to create a 'lock' (reuse reuse reuse!). after that i basically layered some white, and grey yarn in different directions until all of the pillow case was unseen. after that i used locktite on the edges of the helmet and made sure to press it through the inside of the yarn. after that set up i cut along the inside of the helmet leaving about a half inch of yarn on the pouch side, after that i epoxyed it all together on the edges that were loos and TA-DA! all done, now ill just have to drill some strap holes and string some yarn through. 'NUFF SAID

IMG_0955.jpgIMG_0957.jpgIMG_0976.jpgIMG_0980.jpgIMG_0984.jpgIMG_0991.jpgIMG_0997.jpgIMG_1002.jpg

next, i cut up my hoodie, it was pretty simple and fast with the right tools, i used some medical scissors to cut the sleeves, and a heavy duty exacto knife to 'dethread' the stitching on the pouch. took a few shots of how it looks in relativity to my arms/torso, i chose a size small (i wear a medium in T-shirts and jackets normally) for the hoodie, to give it that tight super-hero looking feel.

IMG_0965.jpgIMG_0961.jpgIMG_0964.jpgIMG_0967.jpg

painted stuff: i sanded down the spider tracers from Goosebot 5000 and hit them with some primer, and threw the first coat of red on them. i also have been working on my web shooters in the past few days, i went to my local home depot and was looking around for an hour or so, after i decided that i didn't want to go with pvc because of the sheen, and i didn't want to use copper because of how heavy it would be i decided to go with this stuff that I've never heard of before. its called Shark Bite, its used for some kind of water systems/plumbing. they had all kinds of sizes and diameters. i chose a smaller than half inch one. i picked up 2 five foot poles for $4.75 not bad. whats cool is that there bendable so i can see other use for them as well. i sanded them down with some rough sandpaper and cut them with my saw. WORD TO THE WISE, to speed up the process if you never used a saw, put the pipe to where you want to cut it 'length wise' then make a mark on the saw backing, then you can just keep moving the pipe to the mark on the saw and cut away. after 50+ cuts i primed the shooters and hit them with the first coat of metallic silver paint (didn't take a silver picture yet). ill post some pictures of the final product after i do a few more coats.

IMG_0939.jpgIMG_0988.jpgIMG_0989.jpgIMG_0990.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back