Tomb Raider Anniversary Backpack Complete Build

JennCroft

Hey everyone! I want to share my build for the Tomb Raider Anniversary backpack with you guys. This piece was custom made for a friend in the TR community who had recently been scammed out of hundreds of dollars worth of props from a trusted TR prop maker in the community so a bunch of us got together and decided to do a fundraiser to donate the props she ordered but never received as well as the money to replace items that were sent to the prop maker but never returned. My task was to make the backpack so here goes.

anniversarybackpack.jpg

First of all I needed to make a pattern. I decided to use a lifecast of myself to kinda eyeball the general size it would need to be, taking into consideration the size differences between myself and the recipient, who is quite a bit smaller than me.

8vL0CeA.jpg

HRMKkZx.jpg

Here is a little blueprint I sketched of how all the pieces would fit together and I numbered them and the pieces accordingly to make sure I didn't forget which piece goes where.

WL3gH9T.jpg

I was lucky enough to already have the perfect shade of faux suede material and exactly the amount I needed to complete the backpack. I transfered the pattern to the fabric leaving one centimeter cusion for stitching. I measured the cushion for each piece precisely so that I could just layer one on top of the other and not have to worry about if I'm sewing on the lines for the bottom piece.

9LB2NP3.jpg

pTp5BZo.jpg

After the pieces were cut out, I decided to start by stitching the side panels and bottom together, creating one long piece that I would later use to attach to the front and back panels.

OnZFkHv.jpg

Then I decided to assemble the front panel, which as you can see from the reference pic is actually two pieces.

87Dgkjb.jpg

After stitching the two together I then took the excess fabric and flattened it against the lower part of the panel so that I could stitch it down and make everything a bit lower profile, since that's what appears to have been done with the bag in the picture. It's actually two seams instead of one.

5BqWtdE.jpg

This is how I made the two closure straps for the lid. I made each one seperately with two pieces, sewing them together except for the end that is straight so that I could turn them inside out and sew it down into place.

rGhVNsv.jpg

VhkcHvj.jpg

Sorry for the blurry picture but this is the lid piece. Since I want this bag to have a liner, I decided the best way to do the lid would be seperately. So I used a spray adhesive to secure it before sewing the edges of the suede around the sturdy black workpant material.

OmhfIL9.jpg

F2PICse.jpg

vDOp7TT.jpg

I used an Xacto blade to carefully cut slits in the lid where I want the straps to come out. Then I bar tacked the top half of the slit to keep everything together once the straps are attached. Then I used a basic straight stitch above the bar tack to attach the straps.

fj8NuO4.jpg

jVmnIfh.jpg

NaJT0Xe.jpg

V8fWuTB.jpg

Now it's time I carefully lined up the seams of the front and side panels and stitched them together.

ZXj1h7d.jpg

I found this difficult because despite precise measuring the seams still didn't quite match up perfectly. But I made it work.

2Rc6Cd8.jpg

9fryzQk.jpg

I also did the same with the black material for the liner.

tcWWkqX.jpg

Then i attached the two by hemming the top of the front of the back and the sides. Basically where the back opening would be. Then I attached the back panel of ONLY the black material/liner. I didn't get a picture of it, unfortunately.

b4JAxvy.jpg

Everything is starting to come together.

oPrPhkT.jpg

I used metal belt keepers to stow the lid strap closures. I just used a couple of square pieces to attack them to the front of the bag and since the liner was only connected at the top, I was able to sew through only the suede and not the liner. I made a couple of stitches per side to make sure these were mega secure.

oPrPhkT.jpg

This is where I sewed the back panel to the rest of the bag. Before I had done this, I had attached the back panel to the lid, forgetting to take a picture of it.

AjUNCf1.jpg

X8PW1nq.jpg

The back:
uAA1iL6.jpg

Now it's time to make some backpack straps! Because these straps have buckles at the front to make them adjustable, I have to do this in four pieces instead of just two.

kZUt71E.jpg

I decided to use some padding in the middle of these to add comfort.

GSbXAQe.jpg

Here are 4 of the 8 pieces already cut out.

S6NLAae.jpg

I love spray adhesive. I used it to secure the padding to the other 4 pieces so that they won't move around while I'm sewing all the pieces together and reversing them.

6avtqh7.jpg

Here is the first assembled strap piece. 3 more to go!

PBXqNZH.jpg

PBXqNZH.jpg

After all four were done, I sewed them to the pack. The top two were able to be machine sewn but since I attached the back panel too early I had to hand sew the bottom ones.

zqQjImc.jpg

iy0LQRE.jpg

Now because the client had asked for prominent seams and requested a darker thread than the bag to achieve this, you can see that the seams are still pretty fine. So I took a skinny brush and some brown acrylic paint and highlighted the seams to make them stand out on camera.

BLhg9Dp.jpg

TAu8sa8.jpg

This isn't pictured but I added two square slides to the front straps. They are sewn to only the bottom straps and the top strap just slides through, securing it in place. This is what the finished bag looks like. It's a bit snug on me but hopefully it fits the recipient perfectly.

bklfsUF.jpg

XrJxPQE.jpg

UzbHN8e.jpg

Thanks for looking! This was my first time making a backpack but I don't think it turned out bad at all. All questions and advice welcome. :)

Brilliant TR backpack replication! Always loved Anniversary.

This kind of generosity amazes me :eek :thumbsup

Last edited:
That looks great. :thumbsup I love looking at progress pics.

The only suggestion I have is to do it all over again. Practice makes perfect!

For anyone interested, this is the video of Carla getting her stuff. I was happy to have been a part of this awesome cause and even more happy when I saw that my backpack fit her! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, finally done lurking lol I'm Sara, the dark haired girl in the above video, Thank you for making it happen Jenn and for caring so much, and thanks to the prop replica forum for helping us reach our goal :)

Great outfit and awesome artifacts. Glad to see that Carla is pleased!
Playing The Last Revelation at the moment ;)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back