Ghostbusters Ecto-1 Project: The Largest Ever

I'm not even a Ghostbusters fan, and I can't stop reading this. Officially 'One of Those Builds'... Excellent work. I hope you get it finished and enjoy it for years to come.

Not a Ghostbusters fan? Oh come on...I figured deep down all of us are. Thanks though! I will definitely get it finished (god willing, of course)...as of a few week ago I've sourced every single found part for the car that is obtainable (the other part is a box on the roofrack that nobody has ever nor will ever find because it's scrap military radar equipment that industrial junkyards may have lying around but would never know they did if you asked them).

I'm not even a Ghostbusters fan, and I can't stop reading this. Officially 'One of Those Builds'... Excellent work. I hope you get it finished and enjoy it for years to come.

Hey guys,

I juts figured I would revisit the rear bumper of the car being that it was one of the details that only I will have correct (aside from Sony who have the movie car).

Here's the movie car's rear bumper:

Now here is a typical 1959 rear bumper:

Boy, it sure is nice to nail it:

Also, you guys probably all recognize the blue hose that runs from the roof-rack and connects to the rear driver side of the car. The wiring from the roof was fed into the car through these blue hoses...

(Yeah, that car is looking dirty at the beginning of GBII - I surely won't be letting my baby get this bad.)

Anyway, of course I've got some...I'll probably need to get another set.

In the movie, Peter Venkman is very disappointed in how Ray wasted a ton of money on an antique hearse that needs a new set of everything.

You have done the mythical Ray one better. Your mods will cost even more than Rays. And yet, you are even more happy than Ray to get this wonderful machine.

A 1959 Miller Meteor that needs extensive body work will cost 20-30K inherently alone. The paint job will run you at least 10K. You didn't think 30K stupidly, but it's impossible to build this car the right way for less than 85K if you've got a 59 M&M in decent shape. The exception to that would be if you don't care about it breaking down on you constantly and running like crap.

Yea, restoring cars is expensive! I figured you had at least $100,000 so far. I've seen a 1959 Cadillac,

Completely restored, rechromed, new interior, Corvette engine, etc. The guy wanted it as a daily driver!

In the end, he had about $300,000 in it. Sure, some restoration's can go around 30 grand, but a hearse (1959

At that!) Takes alot of work! The rust and body work, to the trim, adds up real fast!

Love to see this when it's finished!

Wow.
Wow.
And more wow.

I agree with everyone else, definitely one of the best builds I've seen here. Can't wait to see more!

Hi great looking car. I knew the original MM 59 before was sold to Burris for the studio to use in the movie. Boy it was a rust bucket.

The hearse you are using for your base is what is called a 3 way design. Meaning that the side doors open in suicide style to allow side loading of a casket. This was one of the top of the line options for a hearse.

The MM that was used in the movie was the cheapest ambulance that MM made in that year. It had no options. So the side door opened like a regular car. Your hinges should be moved to the B pillar side of the doors to be just like the movie. Or you just could move the door handles and make it look correct until you opened the doors.

Hope this helps.

Hi great looking car. I knew the original MM 59 before was sold to Burris for the studio to use in the movie. Boy it was a rust bucket.

The original '59 MM used in both films currently resides at Sony Studios in Burbank, CA. George Barris had absolutely nothing to do with the film used vehicle, nor created it despite what the guy claims. The Ecto-1 was created by Stephen Dane and was the only car that was created and used in the film. The car that George Barris claims he built and was screen used, was actually fan-made and sold to him in '94-'95 by the owner/original builder Peter Mosen.

The hearse you are using for your base is what is called a 3 way design. Meaning that the side doors open in suicide style to allow side loading of a casket. This was one of the top of the line options for a hearse.

The suicide door is the only thing that isn't going to be made screen accurate on this build. It was talked about and could be done by the guy doing the work but UB decided to keep it as is because it's such a rare feature of the car.

As my homeboy Jack said, yeah, I want the suicide doors...I think they are way cooler than the regular doors. This will be the ONLY thing that differs between my car and the movie car from the outside. I can live with the door handles being inaccurate from the outside...suicide doors are just too cool. Plus, it will be way more awesome when my buddies and I make an exit from the car in our jumpsuits (EPIC).

The suicide door is the only thing that isn't going to be made screen accurate on this build. It was talked about and could be done by the guy doing the work but UB decided to keep it as is because it's such a rare feature of the car.

Yes 3 ways are hard to find. Most of them rot out and the frame bends with the lack of a full B post for support.

OK gentleman,

Yesterday I got some dandy photos. The inside body modification of the rear quarter panels has been officially COMPLETED. My car started as a 1960 and now the rear-end truly is a 1959 in every single way. Take a look:

GOD I LOVE THIS CAR.

AMAZING! And beyond informative! I've just picked up a 61, and will most likely convert her down to a 1A. But's it's going to take years . . . Between you, Loren and me we should have the Midwest covered in the Ecto Department!

AMAZING! And beyond informative! I've just picked up a 61, and will most likely convert her down to a 1A. But's it's going to take years . . . Between you, Loren and me we should have the Midwest covered in the Ecto Department!

I remember having an toy Ecto2 helicopter as a kid, does anyone have one of those? :p

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back