Gundam RX-78-2 Suit: 14day Speed-Build (pic heavy)

takaaaa

Greetings,

You may remember me from my 7day Iron Man Mark 42 Speed-build (http://www.therpf.com/f78/iron-man-mark-42-suit-7day-speed-build-completed-photo-first-post-183263/)
But now I'm back again with a 14day Gundam Speed-build.
You may wonder why I like to torture myself like this, but this time it wasn't my fault. I spent 6months building it to be vacuum formed, but last minute, it didn't work out the way I was hoping. So now I'm left with 2weeks until my deadline and it turned into a EVA speed-build. I know my skills and speed, so I believe I can do this.

Let's begin!

I am making the RX-78-2 Gundam as seen in the original Mobile Suit Gundam series.

I am planning on making 95% of the body out of half inch EVA foam, and the helmet is going to be pep, and mold route.
Please remember that this is a speed-build. So time is my worst enemy, so I wont be taking photos every step.
Also I will be using 3 different patterns, I do not own any of them so I will not be sharing them.
Please do not ask or PM me, because a simple Google search will yield all the info you need.
If you ask for a link, I will link you to Google.com (not to be mean, but because it clearly means you didnt try to look, because its all there)
Also many pieces will be modified and changed to how I personally like them

LET THE 14DAYS START NOW!

Last edited:
So I'm starting from the ground up, literally. Boot > Shin > Thigh. So I was working on the boot and shin tonight. I of course have to modify the pep files for foam and the fit my body and my personal preference.

I was able to knock out both boots, boot cover piece, shins, and knee pieces last night at around 6am.
The rounded part in the back too me the longest, I tried a few ways (horizontal seams, vertical seams, heat and shape) but none seems right, so I went with vertical seams and will sand it smooth. But all that trial and error set me back.

gave myself two hours of sleep and wake up to finish the thigh pieces before 10am. I knew these would be the easiest to make.

Started to smooth out the shins, turned out to be pretty easy. came out okay. not great, but ok.

Then started on the forearm. This is going to be a bit tricky too so I started with this instead of my bicep first

So far so good. I just need to keep up this pace.

The RG RX-78-2 is fun. I like what they did with the recoloring and repaneling. That 1:1 is crazy :D

I'v built both the RG and PG RX-78-2 (and the various versions of the MG's) and it's such an iconic mobile suit.

Have fun with you build, good luck!

OMG!!! this is going to be epic!!! where are you getting the foam files from? can I have a copy?

edit. just saw you said you are not going to share :(. I have already looked for the foam files and I can't find any.

The RG RX-78-2 is fun. I like what they did with the recoloring and repaneling. That 1:1 is crazy :D

I'v built both the RG and PG RX-78-2 (and the various versions of the MG's) and it's such an iconic mobile suit.

Have fun with you build, good luck!

Nice to see a fellow gunpla addict on here! I'm contemplating if I should make the chest vents with the yellow bezel or traditional blue. I'm leaning more towards the traditional blue as shown in the anime. But I'm having fun with this so far. thanks

OMG!!! this is going to be epic!!! where are you getting the foam files from? can I have a copy?

edit. just saw you said you are not going to share :(. I have already looked for the foam files and I can't find any.

Thanks thanks. I'm using pep files and just modifying them for foam.
I got the files off Google. try searching "Gundam RX-78 pepakura" two out of the three files I'm using are meant for 1/60 scale model, and I just scaled the file up A LOT and modded some pieces. But there's a lot of different pep files, just use the ones you like best.

So I was able to finish one arm and fill some gaps with calk to wasnt so hard, but getting the right size was a bit tricky. I have strangely sized arms. lol

Started to work on the other. I want to have both arms done today

Awesome.. Btw You are building Gundam RX-78? Right. For the boots are you going to put your feet inside the boot or stand on the heels covered by the shin?

Can't wait to see your updates. :D Keep up the good work. You got a fan in me..

Good luck. As a huge Gundam geek I always love to see Gundam costumes.

I'd really love to put my own together some day when I can actually figure out how the hell to do it. Putting together an FA-78-1 Full Armor Gundam costume would be a dream. Man, why can't someone vacuum-form and sell some plastic Gundam armor like they do for stormtroopers? :p

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back