Hellboy help needed, looking for bullet info

rgriesbeck

Master Member
Hey all,

We're 3d modelling Hellboy's sidearm from the comics. We've got lots of good reference for the gun, and it's almost done, but I can't find any pics of what kind of bullets it uses. It's got a giant bore and looks like it would fire 1 at a time, but I'm stumped. A trip to the comic store today didn't help. We're planning on selling a limited run of these in a 3d printed kit, similar to our Samaritan kit: http://www.therpf.com/f13/fully-3d-printed-hellboy-samaritan-kit-202333/

This is the gun I'm referring to:

Thanks for any help,

Mignola finally showed Hellboy reloading his gun in the story "In the Chapel of Moloch" - and yes, it is indeed a single shot pistol:

moloch_reload.jpg

Hey all,

We're 3d modelling Hellboy's sidearm from the comics. We've got lots of good reference for the gun, and it's almost done, but I can't find any pics of what kind of bullets it uses. It's got a giant bore and looks like it would fire 1 at a time, but I'm stumped. A trip to the comic store today didn't help. We're planning on selling a limited run of these in a 3d printed kit, similar to our Samaritan kit: http://www.therpf.com/f13/fully-3d-printed-hellboy-samaritan-kit-202333/

This is the gun I'm referring to:

[url]http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p533/rgriesbeck/Hellboy%20Comic%20Sidearm/345515647_zps3d68cb30.jpg[/URL]

Thanks for any help,

I'm hoping you are doing your own comic sidearm and not just making a 3d version from the one D48thRonin did...It kinda looks that way when you are using his picture and says you have "good reference" of it, considering his online album has pretty much a orthographic view of his gun.
PictureTrail: Online Photo Sharing, Social Network, Image Hosting, Online Photo Albums

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hoping you are doing your own comic sidearm and not just making a 3d version from the one @D48thRonin did...It kinda looks that way when you are using his picture and says you have "good reference" of it, considering his online album has pretty much a orthographic view of his gun.
PictureTrail: Online Photo Sharing, Social Network, Image Hosting, Online Photo Albums
Rest assured, we're doing our own. I dont know who d48thRonin is, and the 1 pic I used is from a google search. I've had people ask for it, based on the samaritan we did.

To be blunt, I don't really get your point. It's a gun based on the comics, we are modelling it. It will be ours, unless d48thRonin posted some 3d files, and you're accusing me of using those files, I don't see the point. I've got a folder with 50+ pics of reference images. If d48thRonin doesn't like me using this specific pic, I'm sure HE will tell me

- - - Updated - - -

Mignola finally showed Hellboy reloading his gun in the story "In the Chapel of Moloch" - and yes, it is indeed a single shot pistol:

View attachment 301384
Thanks soooooo much, exactly the kind of help I was looking for!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rest assured, we're doing our own. I dont know who d48thRonin is, and the 1 pic I used is from a google search.

The pic you posted is of the gun that I did 14 years ago - I can comfortably say that I was the first person to ever do the comic book Hellboy pistol.

Others have done their own versions since then, but disappointingly they all looked quite similar to mine. There have been slight variations to the gun in the comics throughout the years, so it would be nice to see that addressed for once...

Hellboy Gun.JPG

The pic you posted is of the gun that I did 14 years ago - I can comfortably say that I was the first person to ever do the comic book Hellboy pistol.

Others have done their own versions since then, but disappointingly they all looked quite similar to mine. There have been slight variations to the gun in the comics throughout the years, so it would be nice to see that addressed for once...

View attachment 301440
Well, I'll try my best. I'm a fan of Hellboy from the movies, you've been a fan a lot longer than me. I've done big baby, the samaritan so this is the next logical one. I always try to pay attention to detail, but in the end, I have to make some decisions based on my experience and the images I have. Blind Squirrel Props did a nice modified air soft version. Ours will be a complete 3d printed version, complete with bprd logo. I'll post some pics soon as we get close.

Thanks for the ammo pic. It looks like its gunna be almost as big as big baby's shptgun shells :)

View attachment 301440

Our prototype is done, still need some better pics, come take a look - http://www.therpf.com/f75/3d-printed-hellboy-sidearm-comic-version-209414/

Thanks again for the help.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back