Poison Ivy Costume - Emerald City Comicon 2014

JuJuBean

Hi all,

I'm working on a burlesque-style Poison Ivy costume for the ECCC. Would definitely welcome any comments or suggestions as I frantically finish this up over the next few days!

Here's what I've put together so far:

IvyMask.jpg

Wig = inexpensive long red curly wig by Taobaopit

Mask = I used this gold masquerade mask for a base

41qEH-a2KhL.jpg

Modified version (removed gems, sanded, trimmed some embellishments off with wire clippers, sponge painted with different shades of green):
GreenMask.jpg

Ivy fascinator (glitter Christmas flower pieces + tulle + ivy, green Swavorski center):
IvyFascinator1.jpgIvyFascinator2.jpgIvyFascinator3.jpg

Next up: corset, skirt, garter and stockings, shoes!

Poison Ivy corset:
IvyCorset.jpg

I just used a plain green satin overbust corset from Corset Story as a base and sewed a bunch of different sized ivy leaves directly onto it. I ended up leaving the plastic stems/veins on to make the leaves pop out more. Then I added some green glitter paint by sponging it on in various places and I also glued on a few Swavorski crystals to some of the leaves with E6000.

Last edited:
Here are a few test shots with most of the pieces (missing wig and mask, still working on skirt):

PoisonIvyTest.jpgPoisonIvyTest2.jpg

I just had the white petticoat laying around, so I used that to see whether I could sort of shape it into a burlesque-style bustle skirt. I think it will work out well, but I'm going to use dark purple instead for the real deal to add a different color to a very monochromatic costume and I think I'll also be embellishing it with some purple flowers, ivy, and a few long green tulle "leaves" thrown in with the purple tulle to (hopefully) tie the costume together. Will post more pics once I'm finished with the skirt!

Last edited:
Looking great so far and taking the mask pic from the beginning posts I'd say you nailed it

Thank you! I still have a little bit of work to do, but I'm happy with how it looks so far and I think it will be ready for the con next weekend. :)

The corset looks great, can't wait to see the whole ensemble with that wig! Unfortunately I didn't get any good photos with Ivy's at MegaCon this past weekend. Your Black Cat looks great as well.

That looks seriously awesome. Makes me wish my girlfriend was more into costuming...
Can't wait to see the rest of the ensemble together!

So, I had a last minute change of heart about adding purple to Poison Ivy... and I ended up making a (really time-consuming) tulle bustle skirt only to not use it at all. Here is a pic of the outfit with the skirt:

Ivy.jpg

I put the mask on a painted wooden dowel and added ivy:
IvyMask.jpg

In the end, I just ditched the skirt and flowers and went all green with the shorts and corset only. Here's some pics:

Ivy3.jpgIvy2.jpg
Ivy4.jpg

I think it turned out pretty well overall, but I was kind of bummed that the purple accents didn't quite mesh the way that I wanted them too. I think the problem was that I had been working on all of the pieces separately and I wasn't trying things on together along the way. Lesson learned! The other thing I learned from this process was how hard it is to match colors across fabrics. I think I'll consider doing more hand-dying next time I do a monochromatic costume with multiple parts to ensure consistency. This was a fun project and a good learning experience for me! Thanks so much for reading!

Great costume, it looks like you had loads of fun at the convention. Have you ever thought about doing a Power girl costume, you remind me of her so much?

I was only there on on Sunday. Next year I'm planning to be all days. Us DC characters should all get together in one area, people would love it. We had me(batman) my son(robin) wife(catwoman) and ran into joker and harley quinn and people just went nuts with pictures LOL

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back