Deagostini Falcon. Anyone seen this?

A question regarding the frame screws...

I will be cutting out the frame in the ramp area, and want to add a couple more of the 2 hole connectors.

Could anyone tell me what size drill and tap I need to use the same black screws?

I had thought the tap we got in Issue 42 was for the frame screws, but the one I have seems too big.

I actually thought the same thing with regards to the 4 million but the way it's worded is a little strange which is why I put the disclaimer in. Something like 4 million units delivered as 100 packs... 4 million issues are still an extremely successful product that must have a good percentage of mainstream. I also don't know how many more countries they will try and reach, I'm more than happy to admit I'm wrong. I personally think that they priced it as a niche product whose sales far exceeded what the expected. Shipping probably costs them way more than then the actual packs. The other thing that i have no idea about is magazine distribution and how low they sell it to the stand. In America you could say 1,500 per 100 issues and at 4 million sold is 60 million but how do adjust for magazine sales. At any rate my point was that if they put the picture in issue 100 on their website it would most likely impact sales and that pre-painting the off colored panels would have long term been in their best interest. I remember but can't find an early video with Steve where he talked about how the pre-painted deagostini would be even better than the mr one because the paint job could be controlled more and wasn't up to how the painter felt that day.

I also recall in the early marketing material that Deagostini made quite a thing about this coming with pre-painted panels so that a very good replica could be built without having to paint it. I was hoping to use this to replace an MR Falcon I had unfortunately had to sell a few years ago. Obviously there were always going to be those who were going to re-paint this anyway, but I do agree that many could have been misled by those claims. Now I am happy to repaint mine, but when I look at the finished model before I repaint it, I cannot help feel it just looks like a slightly better proportioned Hasbro Legacy Falcon that cost $1500. OK as has already been said it is still the best option out there at the moment but as it comes it is not a finished article and definitely not as originally advertised. Class actions have been started for less inaccurate claims so if Deagostini get away without making good on at least some of the flaws they should count themselves very lucky indeed!

I also recall in the early marketing material that Deagostini made quite a thing about this coming with pre-painted panels so that a very good replica could be built without having to paint it. I was hoping to use this to replace an MR Falcon I had unfortunately had to sell a few years ago. Obviously there were always going to be those who were going to re-paint this anyway, but I do agree that many could have been misled by those claims. Now I am happy to repaint mine, but when I look at the finished model before I repaint it, I cannot help feel it just looks like a slightly better proportioned Hasbro Legacy Falcon that cost $1500. OK as has already been said it is still the best option out there at the moment but as it comes it is not a finished article and definitely not as originally advertised. Class actions have been started for less inaccurate claims so if Deagostini get away without making good on at least some of the flaws they should count themselves very lucky indeed!

Yup, that's basically what I said ('cept I never owned an MR). But this isn't welcomed by too many here. There might be a souvenir or collectable forum where you'll get a lot of high fives, but here we're just modelers.

Yup, that's basically what I said ('cept I never owned an MR). But this isn't welcomed by too many here. There might be a souvenir or collectable forum where you'll get a lot of high fives, but here we're just modelers.

It doesn't matter if you are a modeller, a sculpture or a 3D printer artist the principal is still the same and that is that Deagostini sold this as a model that would be complete and finished at the beginning of their advertising campaign and that is not what they produced. I admit I was surprised when in some of the earlier issues they started giving painting instructions as nowhere previously did they state this would be required, and let's be honest IT IS REQUIRED, the painting is optional statements were just garbage. Re-painting your model because you want to is one thing but re-painting it because you have to is completely different. This is no different in most respects to the Volkswagen diesel emissions fiasco. Many people bought one based on the advertised performance statistics but were sold something very inferior to what they originally thought they were getting. I doubt very much that anyone on this forum is going to be happy leaving their Falcon exactly as it came from the factory and to be honest the entire thing including the pre-painted panels needs to be re-painted and that is not what they originally advertised. Deagostini backed off doing this because of cost, no other reason and if people don't complain about it they will just keep doing the same until people do.

I don't want to labour the points I made above, but I just found this whilst looking through my build magazines. Like I said pre-finished with an option to enhance is different from unfinished panels which is what was mostly supplied. I also want to say that I do think this is a great kit and like many I have spent loads of $$$$ on extras from Shapeways and all to improve it beyond what was advertised, which of course is my prerogative. My point above is that what was advertised is not what was delivered, but I am happy to learn that because of customer complaints Deagostini will be making nearly all of the missing parts available as confirmed in the Deagostini 1:18 X-wing thread, so they are trying to address some of the issues, which should be applauded.

DSCF1182.JPG

Last edited:
I don't want to labour the points I made above, but I just found this whilst looking through my build magazines. Like I said pre-finished with an option to enhance is different from unfinished panels which is what was mostly supplied. I also want to say that I do think this is a great kit and like many I have spent loads of $$$$ on extras from Shapeways and all to improve it beyond what was advertised, which of course is my prerogative. My point above is that what was advertised is not what was delivered, but I am happy to learn that because of customer complaints Deagostini will be making nearly all of the missing parts available as confirmed in the Deagostini 1:18 X-wing thread, so they are trying to address some of the issues, which should be applauded.

View attachment 711669

Until such time that enough people file complaints with the FTC for misleading/false advertising, then you need to swallow your anger and live with what you got. Endless complaining on a Build Forum is just a waste of all the forum subscribers time and flames more anger. Go to the proper authority with your complaints if you feel you were deceived and cheated. Once enough valid complaints are filed, the FTC will take action against DeAgostini USA. (Can't do squat for out-of-country subscribers) (Just got a FTC ordered refund from AT&T for misleading customers)

I would just think first before you file a complaint, do you really want to bite the hand that feeds you? It's a beautiful replica! One company that produces SS models is better than 0 company that produces SS models. Just my 2 cents.

Until such time that enough people file complaints with the FTC for misleading/false advertising, then you need to swallow your anger and live with what you got. Endless complaining on a Build Forum is just a waste of all the forum subscribers time and flames more anger. Go to the proper authority with your complaints if you feel you were deceived and cheated. Once enough valid complaints are filed, the FTC will take action against DeAgostini USA. (Can't do squat for out-of-country subscribers) (Just got a FTC ordered refund from AT&T for misleading customers)

Whoa......I think Supercoolin is overheating!........... If a build forum for a particular kit is not the place to discuss concerns then where is? When I raised the complaints issue it was to Deagostini and as I acknowledged it is still the best option out there and as I said I am happy to spend more on it. Thanks to customers raising concerns Deagostini are going to issue a special pack of the missing parts as a one off. If customers had not raised these shortcomings then I doubt anything would have happened and hopefully the advertising for future products will be more accurate as a result of the feedback received....nuff said

Whoa......I think Supercoolin is overheating!........... If a build forum for a particular kit is not the place to discuss concerns then where is? When I raised the complaints issue it was to Deagostini and as I acknowledged it is still the best option out there and as I said I am happy to spend more on it. Thanks to customers raising concerns Deagostini are going to issue a special pack of the missing parts as a one off. If customers had not raised these shortcomings then I doubt anything would have happened and hopefully the advertising for future products will be more accurate as a result of the feedback received....nuff said

When we have post after post of complaining, yet everyone making those complaints are subscribers to the Falcon, it gets very old. Believe me we all know what was represented, and what was delivered. DeAgostini had to save face with a "little trinket", by offering to produce the missing parts, but how many of us will wait for months to receive those few, tiny, missing parts. 97% of the subscribers will not wait around for 6-8 months for DeAgostini to follow through, if they actually do produce them. What are we going to do if they back out of their commitment? The 2-3% of subscribers that pursue perfection will cancel their already completed subscriptions?

When we have post after post of complaining, yet everyone making those complaints are subscribers to the Falcon, it gets very old. Believe me we all know what was represented, and what was delivered. DeAgostini had to save face with a "little trinket", by offering to produce the missing parts, but how many of us will wait for months to receive those few, tiny, missing parts. 97% of the subscribers will not wait around for 6-8 months for DeAgostini to follow through, if they actually do produce them. What are we going to do if they back out of their commitment? The 2-3% of subscribers that pursue perfection will cancel their already completed subscriptions?

I get what you are saying but the only ones who are going to complain are the subscribers because they are the only ones who care enough about wanting this to be as good as it can be. I agree the missing parts are just a token gesture and like you say they may even never arrive, but are you saying we should just shut up about it and move on, which is what I was trying to do with the "nuff said" comment in my last post or are you suggesting more drastic action should be taken like your previously suggested take it to the FTC comment. I am a bit unclear on what you mean, but I made my points previously and am happy to leave it at that if it is annoying people, but I know many people on this thread (and from your comments you are one of them) were not entirely happy with what Deagostini finally produced. So is that nuff said now?

I'm curious about how long this will last--the availability, I mean. If they're still taking orders today, they will still be delivering in two years. And maybe they're still moving into countries and regions. Seems like models and collectables going off the market is norm rather than the exception so it should happen at some point. If it's a "license" in the truest sense, it would expire at some point. They are starting the R2 and (possibly) the X-wing, but even then, I'm not sure the license allows for anything SW--might be different licenses for each subject. The smart money might be to know when it was going away for ever and buy 10 subs in that last week. Then you might be able to scalp the rights to those subscriptions to all the Johnny-come-latelys. (or is it Johnny-come-latelies? The "Toronto Mapleleafs" rule might apply here.)

View attachment 712287View attachment 712288View attachment 712289View attachment 712290View attachment 712291

The last pack! Two years of collecting this beast! :) now I just gave to build it. I really don't intend to use the display stand at all. I think it's hokey.

Yeah the display stand is really just a standard wall mount for a TV, they are all over eBay, but I was wondering if it might be possible to use the part that attaches to the Falcon and mount that on some sort of ball joint on a vertical stand attached to a base so that you could still go for the in flight look if required.

Yeah the display stand is really just a standard wall mount for a TV, they are all over eBay, but I was wondering if it might be possible to use the part that attaches to the Falcon and mount that on some sort of ball joint on a vertical stand attached to a base so that you could still go for the in flight look if required.

Yeah I'm not really impressed with the mount. It really is nothing more then slightly modified tv wall mount. I'm going to pass on it. What your proposing is interesting, but I'm just going to display it in a case of some kind that I'll have to make. I'm really happy that I'm done with the subscription.

Yeah I'm not really impressed with the mount. It really is nothing more then slightly modified tv wall mount. I'm going to pass on it. What your proposing is interesting, but I'm just going to display it in a case of some kind that I'll have to make. I'm really happy that I'm done with the subscription.

To be honest, I will probably just put it in a case myself, was just trying to think of something useful to use the wall mount for. Suppose I could put a TV on it! I know what you mean about the subscription especially the last 4 issues, but I have to say when I took this out I thought, gotta wait 2 years for this and now I'm thinking where'd that 2 years go!

Got my final shipment today.....built the first? issues. I really dont know which ones because the first 10 (?) issues weren't labeled in bags.

Anyone got a good source for a plexi case?

Argh.....Kinda up to issue 15. Im really not liking the 'save this piece until later in the build'. Might of well say, 'save this piece to be lost in a sea of plastic bags.'

Edit.......I missing some of the connector parts for the frame (the little two and four hole connectors) I just jumped ahead and wanted to finish the bottom frame..its finished except for the 4 missing connectors. ......and Im up to issue 40 as far as the frame is concerned.

Last edited:
I had the problem of missing connectors myself and what I found, going back through issues, is that they pack them differently. Sometimes the screws and connectors are in the same little bag, sometimes in their own little bag, or sometimes just loose with the rest of the parts. I didn't build every month and found this out as I was searching through issues to find them even though I had a little divider box where I would put the different screws etc. You may have them in a bag still.

I also noticed that one of the 3 engine deck parts with the flaps, has different sculpting on the little greeble between flaps. Noticing this caused me to notice that the same details on either side of the deck are slightly different in sharpness. Anyone else notice this?
Got my final shipment today.....built the first? issues. I really dont know which ones because the first 10 (?) issues weren't labeled in bags.

Anyone got a good source for a plexi case?

Argh.....Kinda up to issue 15. Im really not liking the 'save this piece until later in the build'. Might of well say, 'save this piece to be lost in a sea of plastic bags.'

Edit.......I missing some of the connector parts for the frame (the little two and four hole connectors) I just jumped ahead and wanted to finish the bottom frame..its finished except for the 4 missing connectors. ......and Im up to issue 40 as far as the frame is concerned.

Thanks Fettish. They are def MIA. Im just gonna rob future issues and forge ahead. I ordered some replacement connectors. If they show up great, if not, Ill fabricate some from aluminum stock.

One thing I notice regarding the support ribs is that they have a little notch at the end to slip under the center rig. But two of them have this notch missing.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back