Getting Weapons/Props to a con?

spiderfan11

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys,

I apologize ahead of time as I'm sure this has been answered sometime before, but I searched and searched without being able to find a thread dedicated to it:

I was able to finally get tickets to my very first SDCC. I know about the weapons policies of the convention, but a more important question for me is how does everyone manage to get their prop weapons/props to the convention if they are flying there? With all the security regulations these days, I can't imagine how much trouble it might be to bring a fake gun with me…so what do I do?

Is there a way to bring this in my luggage as long as it's not in my carry on? Do I have to mail it to someone there?

Help please! One of my costume possibilities is Rick Grimes and I wouldn't want to do that without his signature Python. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you wise ones!

For Dcon 2013, I put my Dredd Lawgiver replica with my costume in checked luggage. Inside my gear bag, I included a photocopy (inside a clear plastic sleeve) of the cover of my Dredd DVD with "Movie costume prop replica" in Large Bold Lettering place right next to the replica firearm. I declared it for inspection as a replica firearm so they can examine it.

They gave me a chance to show them it, where I demonstrated it was just a static prop for my costume for a convention. They marked it with an approved for transport firearm tag and gave me a claim tag. On my return trip, I did they same thing, except they made me go to a separate area. Where when I explained it was for a costume for Dcon, the TSA ladies got all excited and asked what I dressed up as, so I showed them a picture on my cell phone and they said that is "Really good!"

To make a long story short, my biggest worry was if my replica firearm or the whole costume would go missing or stolen. Luckily it was all good and no problems and they ended up forgetting to charge me for my heavy bag. So I saved $25 by being proactive about making sure my Dredd gun cleared the airline!

It all depends on the airport's security procedures and the TSA agents. I have had good and bad experiences. Good news- nothing new otherthan what was already said. You tell the airline agent that you have a "theatrical prop"- for your costume. A TSA agent will inspect it there and you are done. I also show pictures of me in costume with my prop in hand and inside my luggage. Do not say "weapon". And keep it at the top of the luggage so other items are not damage or rifled through, which were unnecessarily/usually checked through. And always not so neatly repackaged. The best is to ship out without that hassle to your hotel(inform the hotel your arrival and when the package should arrive). Put orange tape on the barrel.

Of my many trips, I only have had two bad experiences at airports both times in LA. The idiot TSA could not determine it was a prop, and said he will have his supervisor and police examine it at their security area, not in my presence. The idiots tried to disassemble my Master Replica E-11(stormtrooper blaster), stripped a screw and cracked a piece of my costume armor- cod piece putting it back, and broke my lock. In another trip, dented my Fett jumpack(Man-of-War), but was able to pop back up. From others, stealing happened, losing their luggage/ or parts of costume and damaging props have happened.

Hope that helps.

Note: Always carried on your helmets if taking them through the airport.

Thanks for the extra tips, Ciscotiger. Very helpful info. I think I should be set. It's a damn shame that they can't be more respectful of the property of others, but what can we do? This info should be enough to get started. Wish me luck :)

I would recommend shipping your gear ahead of time via FedEx or UPS. Makes traveling a little less stressful too since you're a bag lighter.

Sean

I'll look into that. My girlfriend and I are staying at an Air BnB house, so I'm not sure if it's an option, but it couldn't hurt to check.

normally domestic flights isnt as strict compared to international flights especially on check-in luggage... what kinfd of material is your gun? will you have a gun case? plastic BB guns normally can go through with out any issue...how s the bag check in your airport? do they still have the xray machine before you check in your luggage or do they do it in the back now before loading it in the plane.... I was able to place a paintball gun in my check in luggage before without any issues... if your in doubt, call the TSA or declare it when checking in... or like they said, just ship it

normally domestic flights isnt as strict compared to international flights especially on check-in luggage... what kinfd of material is your gun? will you have a gun case? plastic BB guns normally can go through with out any issue...how s the bag check in your airport? do they still have the xray machine before you check in your luggage or do they do it in the back now before loading it in the plane.... I was able to place a paintball gun in my check in luggage before without any issues... if your in doubt, call the TSA or declare it when checking in... or like they said, just ship it

It's painted plastic, so you'd have to be pretty oblivious to think it was a real gun after touching it, but it could easily look real from a distance. I'll probably just mark the tip and declare it in my luggage.

Honestly, the reason I'm asking is because I so rarely fly that I'm not sure what is and is not ok anymore lol. Things have changed, I'm kind of shocked that they don't seem to be even worse than some of you guys are saying.

If you can, don't fly your stuff into LAX, just ship it to your destination, and then back home. LAX is the absolute worst as far as TSA incompetence goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I haven't done it, everytime that I've flown with a firearm, I had it inside it's own Pelican style hard case.

If you are going to ship, I would recommend investing in a good hard case, Pelican, Hardigg, or Nanuk would be my recommendations.

If you have the cash, something with wheels for convenience too. My Judge outfit with boots ended up breaking the strap link on my paintball gear back during the flight back. It was just really heavy. I'm wondering how expensive shipping it would've been.

I've been wondering about this too. I have a pair of Farscape Pulse Pistols; one has electronics and the other is just a chunk of plastic (albeit a very nice chunk of plastic). They don't even have triggers. I was looking at gun boxes on Amazon earlier today and I'll probably pick up a hard case like what bikemancs mentioned above and just ship them out via UPS. These need to get to Chicago and Atlanta with me later this year, so they'll definitely get shipped for those trips.

I've had many odd interactions with TSA over the years. I was on the very first flight to take off in the US on the day they decided to implement that "no liquids" policy; no one really knew what it meant, so they made me toss everything -- contact solution, deodorant, shampoo, lotion, toothpaste, hair gel, chapstick. I think I threw out about $100 in toiletries that day. I really don't want to deal with one of those officers and try to explain that my prop gun isn't a gun.

These guys who suggest shipping your gear ahead are right; that's the easiest. If you must fly with your stuff, the others who say 'orange-tape-mark your gun barrels, declare your "props" (NOT "weapons"!!! can't stress this enough..) and have that costuming picture reference as well. BUT... I suggest taking it one step further: If your props have any distinguishing marks on them, get close-up (macro) pics of those too, so that the morons they hire at TSA clearly can have more reference to work with, and that your perfectly legal, costume prop accessory makes it to your destination with you, without ruffling too may feathers or causing any additional Gate delays. Give yourself a few extra minutes, all the same.

If you have to ship to a con be careful, CALL and speak to the manager of the establishment you're staying at. Tell them you want to ship a package to their hotel and they should arrange some sort of fee.

Make sure to get the name of the manager and write his/her name down.
Make sure to get the correct address from the manager.
Make sure to get the correct paperwork to fill out.
Make sure to take a photo of everything you send and make a copy for yourself so when you arrive, everything is in order. Email the photos to the manager.
Make sure to protect your stuff in bubble wrap/protective peanuts.
Make sure to BUY THE INSURANCE and over estimate. If your total costume is worth $1200, put it down for $2500 or more. Here's why:

I had the horror of my power ranger gokai helmet damaged by UPS & usps when I shipped it. Who ever was inspecting it played with it and dropped it. When i received my helmet, it was completely cracked, visor was missing, paint was all chipped, inner clasps were missing, and was DUCK TAPED together.
I even ended up with someones photo album ( I still have it) from the vietnam war and other miscellaneous crap that is not mine.

I did however put an insurance of $300, which I got a check, but the man hours i put into the helmet....cant put a price on it...i did go to the con, just i was very angry lol..it ruined my weekend

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back