New 52 Poison Ivy Costume advice

lmorales

This weekend Ill be making a new 52 version of poison ivy's costume 2741460-2529726_dtc_cv14_r2.jpg while I wait for my classic animated series stuff to come in. Im trying to figure out the best way to do the leaves, what do you think? Should I sew on leaves, paint them on, or glue/hot iron them on? They are going on a zentai suit.

I would suggest sewing the leaves onto the suit if you want the leaves to stand out and look more dimensional. But, if you are going for a sleeker look with the leaves flush against the zentai suit, you might be better of with removing the stems and gluing them right on if you are working with silk ivy or painting them on if you want them to look like part of the suit itself. I'm working on a Poison Ivy costume right now too and I am doing kind of a burlesque spin on the character. For my version, I snipped off fake ivy leaves from a vine and sewed them onto a green satin overbust corset with the stems still attached. I only covered a portion of the corset and I ended up liking the 3D look that the sewed-on leaves gave in contrast with the smooth green satin. I will try to add a photo of my corset later today in case it would be helpful.

Best of luck with your New 52 Ivy costume; can't wait to see how it turns out!

IvyCorset.jpg
This is a photo of my Poison Ivy corset - I'm afraid it's not the best photo and I'm still working on the corset, but so far I've sewn on various sizes/shades of ivy leaves and have glued on Swavorski crystals with D6000 and I've started to add a bit of green glitter to the satin.

A lot of it depends on how you interpret the artwork in the comics. I look at the picture you posted and it looks more like a pattern, than actual leaves. That may just be the artist taking some license though. Are you going to use fake leaves bought at a craft store, or make them out of felt or maybe foam? Either way I think sewing would be the most sturdy. I personally I haven't had good luck gluing stuff to stretchy material, but I am by no means an expert. What ever you choose, I look forward to pictures. I'm always grateful to see more Batman stuff!!!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back