SS Klingon D-7 - 2 Tone Paint Scheme

CaptCBoard

I took our pilot model and repainted it to the scheme seen in the Profiles in History catalog last year:

2tone1.jpg

2tone3.jpg

2tone5.jpg

I gave the base a grungy 'rust' paint job, which really looks cool-- the photos don't capture the true look, unfortunately. Also, I shot these photos before I applied the window decals, so this isn't quite done. I'll have some better photos later, once I can get my photography set-up up and running again.

And -yes- the kits are going to ship out very soon.

Scott

OOOh Aaahhhh... I like it...

The more I think about it the more I want to do this paint scheme.
What colors did you use?

How did you finally make out with the decals as far as the whites?

Looks really good.

Lynn

The paint formulas will be in the assembly guide. They are all Tamiya acrylic paints. I don't remember the formulas off hand, though the first version I did, the light gray one, was XF-23 thinned with some white, just to lighten it a touch. XF-23 could be used as it is and the ship would look fine.

Scott

I've asked the same question in another thread, but thought this might be a more appropriate place. Does anyone know whether this paint scheme was used "on-screen" or whether this was developed after the effects shots were made to make it more presentable as a desk-top model ?

Thanks for the response; I guess I'll have to do some more digging before I ask a question next time. Looks like the subject has been covered very well by everyone, even though there is still no concensus on the issue. I guess this is one of those "paint it the way you like or remember it" issues. I guess I'm partial to a single grey/green color myself.

Is Scott still taking orders or has that window closed now. I remember seeing February 28th as the cutoff. The more I look at the ship, the more I'm tempted.

Feb 28 was the last date I know of....but then again it originally was a "December only" offer so who knows.

Scott was saying that after 30-35 castings the molds would be shot. He said he would not be making more. This makes the CC D7 an extremely limited edition.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CaptCBoard @ Feb 18 2007, 07:26 PM) [snapback]1421655[/snapback]</div>
The paint formulas will be in the assembly guide. They are all Tamiya acrylic paints. I don't remember the formulas off hand, though the first version I did, the light gray one, was XF-23 thinned with some white, just to lighten it a touch. XF-23 could be used as it is and the ship would look fine.
[/b]

Does anyone know where I can find good pics of the D-7 paint scheme used in Deep Space 9 - Trials and Tribble-ations?

I'll post the paint formula here in the next day or so. I don't want to rely on my memory and post what I think it is right now.

I did cut off orders as of Feb. 28. Then again, orders had dropped off to almost nothing, so sticking to a cutoff date wasn't really necessary. Originally my intention was to make only one set of molds and use those until they kacked. And, yes, that is a real mold making term...

The ratio of good parts to unusable parts has been less than satisfactory, which is usually the case at the beginning of production of a new kit. That means the existing molds will probably give out before I get to the last kit. That means I need to make another set of molds. And that means I can increase the number of kits. It will take into late May to fill the existing orders, but if anyone wants to get in on this, they can order any time. This kit will disappear with little warning.

After reading the above paragraph, I think I'd better reinforce something-- The kits all have great parts, you don't need to worry about getting unusable parts. But good or bad, the molds are only good for 30 to 45 parts. It takes a few cycles to figure out where vents need to be or how to tip a mold so bubbles are released and its those parts that effect the number of usuable parts we get out of a mold in the end.

If anyone has any questions, please email me.

Scott

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CaptCBoard @ Apr 5 2007, 12:09 AM) [snapback]1455720[/snapback]</div>
After reading the above paragraph, I think I'd better reinforce something-- The kits all have great parts, you don't need to worry about getting unusable parts.
[/b]

Never would have thought otherwise Scott. :D

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back