Space Station 76

76_Space_Station_zpsc368515f.jpg

Really looking forward to this. Patrick Wilson is one of the most versatile actors working today.

My folks got my brother that Tomy robot for his birthday one year.

This one will be worth it just to see if they got the 70s stylings right, i love that poster. I think Tomy kept making that robot into the late 80s, i swear i had one like it in 1985.

This one will be worth it just to see if they got the 70s stylings right, i love that poster. I think Tomy kept making that robot into the late 80s, i swear i had one like it in 1985.

They made a similar one into the late 80's,I still have it.

Is this the one that has a wood panneled space station. I may rent it at the red box..... It doesn't look very compelling though, to be honest. The sets and props that I saw from this looked cheap and thrown together out of a box of junk. That may have been the look they going for, but even in the 70's they 'tried' to make the future look 'high tech' in their films.

Is this the one that has a wood panneled space station. I may rent it at the red box..... It doesn't look very compelling though, to be honest. The sets and props that I saw from this looked cheap and thrown together out of a box of junk. That may have been the look they going for, but even in the 70's they 'tried' to make the future look 'high tech' in their films.

nope, that is not correc, I'm happy to say. :D Though there is some of the classic/basement wood panelling used as design touches in the ship, that is certainly not the primary construction medium. The overall design ethic of the movie is "the future, as we imagined it in the seventies".

I worked on this film, and in fact I built the robot that is in the poster. The director handed me an OmniBot and said "Use this, but make it look different". lol. They had a bunch of gags they wanted three different robots to do, and each required major modifications and add-ons. For the one seen in the poster, I had to build a custom drive system that would allow him to be remote controlled.

I also built the robot hand that Matt Bomers character wears in the movie.

Here's a video that was on E! a while back that not only shows some of the sets from the movie, but also my RoboHand. lol

Space Station 76 on E! News (12/28/12) - YouTube

you can even see some of the wood panelling! lol.

The fact that Sony grabbed this up for distribution before it was screened at SXSW says a lot about the quality of the film, and the belief that it tells a good story. I'm super proud to have played a tiny part in its creation, and can't wait for it to hit theaters.

And for the record, Bomer is a super cool guy :p

The fact that Sony grabbed this up for distribution before it was screened at SXSW says a lot about the quality of the film, and the belief that it tells a good story.

Not sure about that! Sony also distributed Spider Man 3! :lol

It's cool you got to work on it. The robot is cute, and well, you gave them the look they were going for, so you did your job.

Well as a SciFy Fan I can only say bring it on. I waited almost ten years for the SiFy channel I can wait for Space Station 76.

The mechanical hand did look a little campy.

Ed

The mechanical hand did look a little campy.

And that was PRECISELY what the director asked for. I spoke to Jack Plotnick (the director) for a while about it, and he explained to me how the glove fits into the overall story, and how it's supposed to be the living embodiment of the struggles that Matt Bomer's character deals with. Well, that was MY takeaway from our discussion. It was supposed to be bulky, clumsy, have an "overused and outdated" look to it, and basically just garish. You can probably tell that the base is a nintendo power glove, which was also part of the directions given to me. I scavenged parts from the chopped up OmniBots and attached them in haphazard ways to the glove. It really gave it that cobbled-together feel, which is what they wanted.

I'm not sure what people are expecting. Everything Matt has said, is pretty much what I figured from seeing the poster. A satire on the retro vision of the future.

OK so you built the robot hand??......cuz it looked to be a NES power glove with some junk glued on........wasnt really much building involved was there?

Anyone seen it yet? I hear it's in theaters in the US, but not here in Canada. And it's already hitting DVD (not Blu) next week.

Anyone seen it yet? I hear it's in theaters in the US, but not here in Canada. And it's already hitting DVD (not Blu) next week.
This is the only place I have seen any mention of the movie at all, so that does not surprise me.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back