UK Gold Chrome Spray paint for C-3PO

Trooper TK409

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This paint isn't sold in the US so you have to get someone to buy it in the UK and ship it. It's available at an auto parts store called Halford's. For paint out of a can, the gold chrome results of reflectivity are suprisingly impressive. You need to sand you piece smooth for best results. These pics have not be touched by photoshop except to resize them.
More photos here:
http://freepgs.com/tk409/paint/

6.jpg

EDIT* Paint brand name is Plasti-kote Brilliant Metallic. It comes in Gold chrome, silver chorme and copper chrome.
http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk/Site/products...p?PRODUCT_ID=46

Originally posted by phase pistol@Jan 3 2006, 06:57 AM
What's the brand name of the paint?

- k
[snapback]1149350[/snapback]​

There is a company called plasticote who do a really good gold chrome effect paint, they also do a special paint for bar b Qs that is great for blasters

Originally posted by phase pistol@Jan 3 2006, 08:01 AM
yeah but plasticote is sold in the states.

-k
[snapback]1149363[/snapback]​

What are the laws surrounding transporting spray paints?

I tried to get some Krylon spray paints from the US to ship to Scotland and the company who I tried to buy from said they couldn't fly them as they were pressurised and they couldn't send them surface as they were considered toxic.

Can anyone clear this up for me please :)

Cheers Chris.

Chris, there is an issue with transporting "hazardous" goods by aircraft although just what constitues a "hazard" I dont know. I remember when Steve the Swede and I were trying to get US paints for a Boba Fett helmet project, it was a nightmare even though they werent pressurised, just enamels.

I recently got some Krylon spray from a UK supplier, although it was a triple clear shine but might be worth a look as they may have paints too.

www.craftaway.co.uk

Cheers

Jez

It's my understanding that Halfords doesn't actually produce the paint but simply buys it in and fills the aerosols up for you on demand and re-badges it as Halfords paint. It might be an idea to ask them who their paint supplier is as they may be an international company.

Originally posted by BingoBongo275@Jan 3 2006, 11:27 AM
Chris, there is an issue with transporting "hazardous" goods by aircraft although just what constitues a "hazard" I dont know. I remember when Steve the Swede and I were trying to get US paints for a Boba Fett helmet project, it was a nightmare even though they werent pressurised, just enamels.

I recently got some Krylon spray from a UK supplier, although it was a triple clear shine but might be worth a look as they may have paints too.

www.craftaway.co.uk

Cheers

Jez
[snapback]1149391[/snapback]​

Yeah Jez it is a minefield transporting these products. I do have a friend in the U.S. who was willing to ground ship spray paints without declaring what was actually in the package and with a false senders address but I never needed to use him thankfully. Some UK stores stock Krylon but just not the colours I wanted.

Also thanks for the info on the Krylon Jez.

I take it for granted the Halfords spray cans are equally as hard to ship to the U.S. if our friends in the U.S. wanted them.

Trooper TK409 have you shipped any of this paint and if so did you have problems?

Cheers Chris.

the paint in question is plasticote brillant metallics.

It comes in gold, chome and brass finishes.

I was the one who sent it to tk409.

I boxed it up, took it to the post office and labeled the customs form as gold spray paint and it got to him no problem.

Dont know if this was a fluke tho.

Fettster is right, and although Plasti-kote is sold in the US, this particular line of "Brilliant Metallics" is not. If you visit their website http://www.plastikote.com you'll see a distinction between the US and Euro site. The US site doesn't offer this line. Fettster sent me 2 cans and they shipped fine.

..and as I remember the results were very impressive. Far better than any other "home/hobby/automotive" spray I've seen

Good find by Fettster and 409

Cheers

Jez

Originally posted by fettster@Jan 3 2006, 01:24 PM
I was the one who sent it to tk409.

I boxed it up, took it to the post office and labeled the customs form as gold spray paint and it got to him no problem.

Oh so you guys are international paint smugglers :D

What next drugs, diamonds, guns. You just don't know what company you keep on the RPF :lol

Thanks for the great advice fettster and Trooper TK409 I will be trying some of this out on a wee project I have in mind :) .

Cheers Chris.

heres a head done in this paint, it comes out ok if you know what your doing, chris ...you know what your doing, your stuff looks great :thumbsup

have you done the torso yet????

threepio.jpg

The plastikote bright metallics look fantastic, but take forever to dry, weeks or even months is not unrealistic.

Until dry the finish is very fragile, finger prints, dust, the slightest scrape or mark will damage the paint.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back