3D printer help

stargazer

Hi guys,

I've been recently been interested in using 3D printer technology to make models.

I was wondering, do you guys know what software to use to 3D print objects?

Thanks,

Stargazer

Star wars actionfigures help

Hi guys,

I was wondering... is it possible to make star wars action figures using a 3D printer?

Thanks,

Stargazer

Re: Star wars actionfigures help

Not that I have any experience with a 3D printer at all, but I imagine it would be possible. It would probably be easier to make the figure in various pieces and then glue them together, but I don't see why it couldn't be done.

Do you mean at the printer end, or do you mean what software to create the model?

Because for the latter, practically any 3d software will work (after a fashion). Printer services such as Shapeways will take a variety of formats not limited to .obj, .dae, .stl -- and there are a wealth of (free) software options to convert from one model format to another. I have no reason to believe the software packages of home 3d printers are any less flexible.

To get a little more specific, some people like Sketchup, but I think the best results come from modeling software that is optimized towards mesh creation. The best free option there is Blender, in my opinion, but the list of free software packages alone is exhausting: List of 3D modeling software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Help with best 3D printer software

Hi guys,

I know that there are many free 3D printer software, such as Google sketchup, Blender and 3DCrafter.
I've had experience with Google sketch up but find it annoying sometimes. Could you guys please give me a suggestion of a free 3D printer software
that is user friendly?

Thanks,

stargazer

When you have access to a 3D printer, I believe one is REQUIRED to make an action figure of oneself!

Re: Help with best 3D printer software

First off, all those you mentioned are not 3D PRINTER software packages. They are for 3D design and used in constructing what is known as a "mesh". They may or may not be suitable in outputting your design in a format that is readable by whatever 3D printer you are thinking of using.
That said, of the those on your list, IMO, Sketchup is the most user friendly and easiest to learn. I have read some of your previous posts and know you are interested in printing an action figure. A figure of an sort will have multiple interlocking parts, and in so far as design, lots of curves. Sketchup is not the best for curved surface modeling as it was originally designed for architecture, but there are many plugins that can help. All the rest, Blender, Modo, Solidworks, etc... have better curve modeling abilities, but they also have a steeper learning curve (pun intended. :) ). If you are not familiar with 3D modeling, I would find the software you like the best, and can afford, and learn it inside and out before you try to 3D print anything. The ideas in your head will look much better if you do. No quick way around this, short of someone else doing it for you.

From what I have been doing with 3D printing & a guy I work with, an action figure could be made the key would be a good detailed model & the quality of the printer. Needless to say the only limit is your imagination with a 3D printer in what can be done. I don't have one but have been using services uploading my models & having them printed. I would love to purchase on in the future.

As stated above, the programs for doing 3D modeling is endless & could be pricey, but there are a number of free options.

I have been using more CAD based programs designed for industry & literally drawing my own meshes & creating surfaces. It can be time consuming but I can create objects with close tight tolerances.

There is a huge learning curve with the modeling & whatever program you go with. Start small and work you way up to more complex models.

Has anyone seen a dedicated 3-D printing thread out here on therpf.com somehwere? I downloaded Blender months ago and I've been digging through Blender tutorials and 3-D printing forums, but I want to get a feel for the full end to end process before jumping in. The technology is moving pretty fast, so waiting for the next generation of printers always gives me pause. I enjoy foam and fiberglass, but 3-d printing really looks liberating and I'm a huge fan of the accuracy and detail.

Not every 3-d model is print ready, so tips on how to prepare a model for different size prints or how to break up a larger piece to fit best in the volume of a home printer would be useful. It's scattered aroudn the web, but I was hoping therpf.com might have a definitive thread.

I havent seen a full thread on 3D printing yet. I have been working with 3D printers for about 5 years now. I currently use Autodesk Inventor, which my company supplies for me. I also have access to a Dimension BST1200 and a Makerbot 2X. I find that the Makerbot fails prints more often, causes many hours of wasted build times and is much more maintenance then the BST1200. Of course the price of the 2x is 10x less so that should be noted as well.
There is so much to know about 3D printing and designing for 3D printing. You will get used to it at some point. My designs (that arent replicas) have changed because I try to adapt it to be more easily 3D printed. For example, instead of creating sharp ledges that would certainly cause the printer to use support material, I now design to have curves going up to get rid of an overhanging ledge.
Finishing models is really all personal preference. For prop making I like to use bondo and sand just like you would finish a car. A lot of people like to use acetone vapors, I find that on the more dangerous side but I have done it before.
Goodluck.

I don't think most of the consumer level 3d printers are capable of printing a 4" action figure in parts without some level of detail finishing, like formula388 said. 100 micron layers are too visible.

I'm close to buying one myself, but before I do I really to learn molding and casting first, that way the extra bondo/sanding work isn't wasted on a single display model.

Though this printer seems too good to be true, layer depths at 0.1 microns?
OWL Nano is Stereolithography at .1 Microns - 3D Printing Industry

That "OWL Nano" is a different style 3D printer. The layer resolution is certainly possible but I have a feeling the resin material to print with is extremely expensive.

When looking at 3D printing, one important things or member is that they're not plug and play. Prints fail frequently, are not "prop ready" when done, and take many hours to print if you want something really robust a strong. That said, once you have it dialed in, and if you're patient, they can be a lot of fun. Just don't expect to get it and be knocking off props and models but the dozen!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back