ESB Han Solo DL-44 Blaster build on a Denix for Cody

scottjua

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is a Denix based Han Solo ESB blaster that Cody commissioned me to do for him.

Cody wanted a Han Solo ESB with electronics installed, so I went about getting the various bits I could and put it all together.

I was able to get a flash hider form evolution props via ebay, the scope mount from blast tech, and the resin M19 scope from TK4701 here on theRPF. I also got the left side greeblies from correllian exports.

So thanks to all those guys for making great parts!

IMG_3120.jpg

The first thing I tackled was removing the Denix logo and type from the left side of the frame. Also filing away the front sight from the barrel.

IMG_3077.jpg

Birchwood Casey Aluminum black works great on a denix to blend to the original finish.
IMG_3121.jpg

I decided that since we were undecided on the VERSION of Han’s blaster, I’d go with a Bespin/Hoth Hybrid. In my opinion the true Bespin Han Solo has a flash hider closer to the one Luke’s has with a rounded edge before the cone, and fewer if any left side greeblies. However, since Han’s blaster is mostly associated with the revel V8 piston greeblies, and the sharp edge before the cone on the flash hider, I wanted to blend them with the Hoth known greeblies since it best represents what most of us think about when we picture Han’s ESB blaster.

So I went with what looks to me to be an accurate placing of the scope mount via the reference pics. Note: The HOTH would have been higher up
IMG_3123.jpg

The next major hurdle would be doing the electronics install. I found this small lever activated switch that I wanted to use for the trigger. Also a scrap piece of delrin that I had left over form a lightsaber build and I milled it to fit and work as my switch mount that fits inside the Denix’s frame.

IMG_5082.jpg

IMG_5081.jpg

Next was prepping the handle frame for the 2.1mm recharge port. This Blaster was to have a plecterlabs Blaster Core 4.0 and a rechargeable lithium iOn power pack for easy recharging. No taking out batteries… just plug it in.

IMG_5087.jpg

IMG_5098.jpg

Then prepping the frame and plastic grips to fit the 2W bass speaker into the handle. It needed some hidden sound holes and space for resonance so it would be plenty loud. And it IS.

IMG_5083.jpg

IMG_5084.jpg

IMG_5088.jpg

As cheesy as it may look, so hot glue sealed up the base of the speaker and increased the resonance while mounting the speaker firmly.
IMG_5143.jpg

Finally some Denix mods to make it more comfortable and less… Denix-like.

Reshaping the trigger

IMG_5085.jpg

Modifying the gap between the grip frame and the trigger guard was a must.
IMG_5086.jpg

For the auxiliary switch, I decided to put it flush mount at the base of the mag well. I wanted to APPROXIMATE a real mouser’s mag plate release button as much as possible. This was as close as the construction of the frame would allow me to get, but I think it worked out great.
IMG_5137.jpg

All done
IMG_5132.jpg

IMG_5133.jpg

IMG_5134.jpg

IMG_5138.jpg

IMG_5139.jpg

IMG_5140.jpg

Here’s the SD card access… through the bolt.
IMG_5144.jpg

Detail of the resin scope. It came to me powder coated bronze only, so I had to paint and weather it. I used my real M19 as reference and got it looking dead on real.
IMG_5146.jpg

Thar she blows.

Here’s a video with some more details, and a demo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Plecter Labs - Props Electronics

85 euros...

I liked building the denix for sound compared to the MGC. The MGC I don't want to molest as much, so I will make me a Han version for personal use from a denix, and go nuts on accurizing it. This was more of a budget build so I didn't go too crazy on denix mods.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it!

Great build Scott . Can you tell me where you got the screws to fix the scope on . Having hell of a time finding some in the UK .

I got them at a local hardware store here. I could always get more the next time I go and pick some up for you...

Are you getting the speaker locally or from online?

Could you share the speaker source, I've got a different project that could benefit from a small but clear and loud speaker.

I get them from here:

2W 28mm Bass Speaker

Fits well enough. You don't HAVE to mod the denix frame for it, but it's better if you do.

There are other places to get similar ones though, but I find these to be quite reliable and awesome.

If you need smaller, but just as loud given the right resonance:

2w 20mm Speaker

Thanks man. I did it first on my MGC ANH, and it worked out great. IT's better on the Denix though. ^_^ Just a tad more room in there. The electronics are miles easier on the denix for sure. The MGC you have to wriggle your way around the lock frame... which is TIGHT. Lots of special mods on the MGC to make wires pass. Not that you don't have to work for it on the Denix, but it's more friendly.

True, but a MGC, while a bit more compact, is still superior in every way imaginable to a Denix. I just wish that I could find one! BTW, I really like how you added the faux magazine release button, it really adds a sense of realism!

yeah, it was the most logical place. Thanks! For extra time you could scribe in the pattern for the floor plate too. Just have to be careful and take your time. I may try that on the next DEnix I do...

which is an ANH I am working on now with electronics. ^_^

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back