Lifesize ED-209 Build. NOW WITH EVEN MORE ED on p.23!!!

Re: Lifesize ED-209 Build. Check it out. You have twenty seconds to comply...

Who needs armed garden gnomes when you have that instead:D Very cool stuff!

OMG! Haven't been by the RPF in a bit, so imagine my surprise at seeing the completed pics from Maker Faire and BayCon! :eek Absolutely astounding, the amount of time and effort that went into this epic build, and it clearly paid off. Looks like you stole it right off the set!

That's beyond impressive, Shawn. Kudos to you and those who helped you get this beauty of a beast put together. I bow in admiration, my friend :D Like others here, I'd love to have one of these for my collection, but I know the wife would kill me, lol.

Would be a helluva kewl thing to put out on the front lawn, though :lol

Thanks for the compliments. This thing still makes me smile every time I look at it.

There's actually been a few people who have asked why I would build such a thing. I tell them that if they have to ask, there's no answer that will work for them.

I've been lurking on here for well over a year now and it has been this project and your good self that has finally prompted me to actually join the rpf. I wanted to say just how epic this really is. A massive project undertaken and Executed with urgency and expert artistic talent. You truly are a master of your craft and I can only hope that you will continue to post on here as your musings are almost as inspiring as the pictures. Thankyou Mr Thorsson, you've made me want to build ****.

Enough blowing smoke up your ***... Build this!

OmniCorp

I think he'd like a little brother...

I too am a serial lurker on this and a couple of other sites, with a frustrated interest in 'making stuff' that I try and fit in between my job, my family commitments, playing baseball, the occasional oil painting, doing my wife's bidding... you get the picture. Needless to say there's nothing I can add to the effusive and richly deserved praise to Shawn & his team other than a massive congratulations on this epic build, and it's now your fault I'm a member on here and feeling the need to express myself in pepakura/bondo/fibreglass/foam/styrene etc etc etc.
Maybe I'll try my hand at something slightly less complicated first though...

Good job sir.

... Build this!

OmniCorp

I think he'd like a little brother...

Oddly, I really don't like the look of the new version. I loved everything else about the reboot designs, but their ED-209 was A: too big, and B: too much like one of the Bayformers.

...it's now your fault I'm a member on here and feeling the need to express myself in pepakura/bondo/fibreglass/foam/styrene etc etc etc.
Maybe I'll try my hand at something slightly less complicated first though...

Welcome aboard! If you've got your heart set on pepakura, there's tons of great stuff to be had out there and it's a great way to get started. Just make sure you post a thread to show off your progress along the way and share any insights you might have for the rest of us. In any case, have fun with it.

Oddly, I really don't like the look of the new version. I loved everything else about the reboot designs, but their ED-209 was A: too big, and B: too much like one of the Bayformers.
Agreed.

Been a while since I've updated this thread, so I suppose I should add a couple of snapshots of big ED stationed at MAKE Magazine's headquarters:

Here I am with my friends Matt and Trevor after we'd finished setting him up:

Finally, since I'm in between big projects and clearly touched in the head, I've been working on a second, more polished copy:

Last edited:

Man oh man, you are a glutton for punishment. Can't wait to see ED 209 Mark II. You should make the guns with air soft guns in it and make it a guardian at your shop.

I thought the first one was awesome already! Can't wait to see how you improve on it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back