2014 Toronto Prop Party

How many name changes is that now? LOL.
I miss the old Toronto Trek days when it used to be down the street from me.

A while back we were approached through the Toronto Prop Party website by the Exhibit Coordinators from the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition) to see if the Toronto Prop Party would be interested in a pop culture and its fans exhibit they plan to put on for this year’s CNE. We were able to finally meet with them to discuss the details of it, ask questions we figured many would ask, and get a feel for what they were planning. The short of it is that they are essentially curating items that show the passion, skill, and interests of people such as us who dive into and celebrate pop culture.

First and foremost on our minds was security. They are professionals who do this sort of thing for a living and have had 6 years of various exhibits with no incidents (last year they had a Dr Who exhibit which was quite popular).

Security Measures (provided by the CNE):

• Use of stanchions and roping for large objects
  • Lockable display cases (curators hold the keys) for small-medium sized props
  • Exhibit staff on site during opening hours (10am-10pm, every day) – their job is to interact and interpret the space for our public, as well as to provide security for the objects on display
  • 24 hour dedicated security officer stationed in the exhibit
  • Insurance for objects on loan
This is a great opportunity for us to share with the over 1.4 million people that go to the CNE and promote the Toronto Prop Party as well as ourselves. I plan to set up a bio page for everyone that wants to participate on the Toronto Prop Party website making it easy for people that think your stuff is cool to find out more about you or even contact you if you want (easier for people to remember one website address than dozens of different ones or email address and such).

They also mentioned the possibility of arranging a Toronto Prop Party night for us as thanks since they have a rooftop patio or something, so we could double dip on hanging out with one another!

We, Andrew and I, are just functioning as the leg work people to find out who is interested. Anyone who is interested should contact us via email and we can forward you the one sheet with the information about the event as well as the contact information. We can answer some of your questions but you are also welcome to contact the organizers directly with any questions or concerns you might have as well as to arrange with them what items you might want to lend for the exhibit.

Both Andrew and I are very excited about it!

Just don't feel like I'd have much to contribute to an event like that. I haven't made many things. Don't know if I'm understanding the concept properly.

Dan, shot you a message on Facebook, but it's probably good for me to add to the topic here. To explain a little further, here's part from the one sheet.

What this exhibit is all about:
The main purpose of this exhibit is to celebrate and highlight the passion of fans. It will look at segments of pop culture through the lens of fans, share their stories and experiences, and celebrate their talent through displays of fan-made replicas, movie-style props, collectables, costumes, photographs, artwork, and more.

No guests or major events from what I can tell. Just hanging out and panels. Etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats right, there won't be any celebrity guests. The only major event is we've combined efforts with the Constellation Awards which will be held the same weekend. Basically, the committee decided to scale back to grassroots (is that the right term?) and promote the community spirit of conventions rather than the modern expectation of celebrities and shopping. (We have also removed vendors and dealers) we want people to come and meet other fans and like minded people, and enjoy discussions and conversation, rather than siting in a big hall with someone who's been on tv or in a movie.

We have a list of everyone who has requested table space. The hotel only has 6' tables, not 8', but their tables are probably much better(Lol). So those of you who have requested in the thread, we have you down..:thumbsup We will also confirm with everyone at various times over the next 60 days

Been to this location before, should work out good. Did some Anime North stuff there. Just confirm the parking situation as I was staff so we didn't have to pay, but it is a pay lot I believe.

Sucks that we had to change, but the room we had last year has apparently been booked since December.

It is a pay parking lot..I'm not sure how flexible Sheraton will be on that.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back