Halcyon - ALIEN³ Facehugger & Queen Embryo (Assembling & Painting)

Looks awesome! I love the work on the nails.

I loved these kits in the 90s. Unfortunately, the only one I ever got was one of the 18" xenomorphs of the Kenner/Tsukuda lineage. It's quite toy-like. One day, I might repose it and do some serious work on it, but I used enamel-based paints on it in my ignorance so I don't know how good the vinyl still is. I think it dried eventually!

Thanks! Yeah, I'm glad I went with the acrylic nails instead of the vinyl ones that came with the kit. Adds a bit of realism to the creature.

Sounds cool, would be fun to see if you'll be able to get it touched up.

Good work (it's quite a challenge assembling and painting a facehugger - well I thought it was when I did mine...)

Maybe the mouth is a bit too dark (just my opinion)

Congrats

Thanks for the info about painting it, you've done a amazing job (forget spraying) with that standard... Did you prime the vinyl? What was its base coat you mentioned please...

Looks awesome! I love the work on the nails.

I loved these kits in the 90s. Unfortunately, the only one I ever got was one of the 18" xenomorphs of the Kenner/Tsukuda lineage. It's quite toy-like. One day, I might repose it and do some serious work on it, but I used enamel-based paints on it in my ignorance so I don't know how good the vinyl still is. I think it dried eventually!

I had the same kit, and thought exactly the same thing- how toy-like the model was. Years later, I found out the the kit was just a remould of the 1979 Kenner 12" Alien figure, which explains a lot!
Great work on the Facehugger, OP, BTW!
image.jpeg

Can l ask as lm new to working with vinyl...was/is the vinyl hard when you first got the kit & does after heating it make it supple & stay supple!? Just with you putting a skeleton frame l was thinking it was bendable!!!?

Last edited:
Can l ask as lm new to working with vinyl...was/is the vinyl hard when you first got the kit & does after heating it make it supple & stay supple!? Just with you putting a skeleton frame l was thinking it was bendable!!!?

Vinyl gets supple when heated (hair dryer or hot water) and can be bendable/posable while hot. When it cools off, it gets hard again.

Re: Halcyon - ALIEN³ Facehugger & Queen Embryo (Assembling & Painting)

Good work (it's quite a challenge assembling and painting a facehugger - well I thought it was when I did mine...)

Maybe the mouth is a bit too dark (just my opinion)

Congrats

Thank you!!! :) Yeah, it sure is - but it's also quite fun to do.
Thanks for the input.

Thanks for the info about painting it, you've done a amazing job (forget spraying) with that standard... Did you prime the vinyl? What was its base coat you mentioned please...

You're welcome :)
Hehe thanks! I guess you can get quite good results with just dry brushing and carefully do the gradients with a brush.
The airbrush would just speed up the progress. :)

Well, yeah I just cleaned off the vinyl and started by adding a custom yellow/skin-like base coat layer of acrylic paint. And then built up layers of lighter shades.

The kit is very soft and bendable. That's how I was able to put a wire-skeleton inside, adding the ability to bend/shape and help support the fingers and tale a bit.

I know recast versions of these kits come in a harder material, and the parts are sometimes warped in production/shipping etc. - and some have found that using hot water or a hair dryer can help get the parts into the right shape again.

Love your shading of it, Yes mines a recast vinyl but great, no problems yet.....want a soft version next... So is acrylic base coat a primer!? Or just regular acrylic.

Last edited:
Be careful with any enamel-based paint or primer on vinyl. It will never dry.
Would you say a straight acrylic on to the vinyls ok (1st coat)after sanding/sealing/washing?? Or is a base acrylic something different? Mines a hard vinyl apart from when l bend it with heat!!

Last edited:
fantastic job, what colours did you use, i just got one from ebay an i would like to know what colours you used as i am coloured blind and it would help me alot

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back