Mega Man Complete Build

SlyRedXIII

Hey everyone,

It's my first time posting here and I thought I would put up a build I did for Halloween last year. My friend decided to throw a Super Smash themed party and I decided to go as Mega Man. I had about a month to build it so it was a rushed build, but it was also my first complete costume (I've done a Tony Stark costume but that was just the glove and arc reactor so not the full suit). So I guess I'll start describing what I did:

I first started by downloading two pepakura files. They were the MegamanX Forearms and Helmet by aron42486 and Supermangat94. Both files were great but I wanted to go for the older Mega Man look with the square on the helmet so I cut out a piece of card stock and folded it to look like a box and then glued it to the top of the helmet.
photo 2.JPGphoto 1.JPG

Next thing I did was coat the two arm cannons and helmet in fiberglass resin to strengthen it. Since I was rushing I didn't have time to fill the inside of them with fiberglass cloth, coat them, and then dremel the excess. This wasn't my first time fiberglassing so of course I wore the proper safety equipment and I knew how to apply it. As I was waiting for these parts to dry I decided to move on to the other parts. I started with his feet first.
photo 3.JPGphoto 4.JPG
I used EVA foam from Lowe's for the feet and waist. It came in a roll and I think it was originally meant for putting it on the floor of a garage. Not the best type of foam but I had it laying around the house from previous builds and it did the job. Each foot consisted of three separate parts: the sole, the front half cone, and the back part.

The soles were easy because I basically put a shoe on the foam and drew an even larger shoe around it. Most of the foam pieces I cut out weren't measured and I just guessed the size. If it was too big I cut it down until it was the right size.

The front cone was the most difficult because I took a large piece of foam and draped it over the soles. I then took a maker and traced on that large piece of foam where it would connect to the sole. Once I was done tracing I cut it out and compared it to the sole. If it matched I then took my scissors and cut an angle into the edges of both parts so they would fit together. After that it was as easy as taking a hot glue gun and applying it.

The back part was easy because as you can see in the photos they were just rectangular pieces that I curled around it. After I finished the shoes I started on the portions that covered the knees.
photo 6.JPG
For this part I required some assistance. As I stood in the shoes, I held up a large piece of foam and covered around one leg and had someone mark how much it went around. I wanted to make sure they went over the shoes a little bit like Mega Man and so that it would cover my feet from inside. After I figured out the proper size I cut off the excess foam and gave it that peak in the front. With the legs built I went on to Bondo the arm cannons and helmet.
photo 7.JPGphoto 8.JPG
This was my first time using Bondo so the quality of the pieces did not come out to well. First of all I didn't know how quick Bondo drys so as I was getting near the end it started clumping up. Ideally I would have wanted to spend more time on this stage, sand, and reapply the Bondo to get it as smooth as possible. Unfortunately I had to rush and at this point it was only three days away from the party. So after the Bondo was completely dry I started to sand it to make it as smooth as possible (also my first time sanding with portable sander). I then spray painted them with a coat of black primer.
photo 9.JPG
As I waited for those parts to dry I went on to create the waist portion.
photo 5.JPG
This was the hardest part and it also required another person. The whole thing is one piece and it has velcro on both sides of it. It basically looks like an upper case I and the velcro is attached to both ends of the top portion of the I. However, so that it was more stable, one side of it was completely stuck shut with velcro (which was like tape with adhesive on the other side). The other side was open but had velcro running up and down it so that once you stepped inside you just attach it and it would fit comfortably. Although it wasn't quite that comfortable. The way I created the shape was once again taking a large piece of foam and putting it through my legs and then the other person marked where each part ended. Pretty awkward but had to be done. After this was done I went and sprayed black primer on the waist and leg parts.

Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of anything else until the last finished product because there was so little time and I was more concerned on finishing this. When the primer finished drying I took blue metallic spray paint and painted everything except the helmet. For the helmet, since it has blue, light blue, and red I had to be a bit more careful. So I first sprayed inside the ears red and then on top of the helmet light blue. After they dried I took tape and covered those portions and sprayed the rest blue. For the most part it looked good but there were parts the bled onto other sections and the border between two sections looked ragged.

I'm sure you're wondering how I walked in that costume. Not that well. To be able to walk I took two pieces of cloth for each shoe. I then put a lot of hot glue where my foot would go and then placed the cloth on top of it. Then I put more glue on the back part of the shoe where it was closest to my ankle and put a cloth over that. That way I had some makeshift ties that I could put around my feet so I could walk. They weren't the greatest but they held their place as I walked.

With all the preparations done all I had to do was wear it. I bought a light blue skin suit that matched Mega Man perfectly and didn't come with a face cover that I would have to cut off. I also got some click on LED lights that I attached to spandex material and held them around my hands.
DSCN0333.JPGFile-MegaManSSB4.png
In the end the costume still came out great and the party was a blast. If I were to make this suit again (which I might) I definitely know what to improve. First of all, I will not make another waist portion. It looked and felt like a giant diaper. I couldn't sit down because the sides might pop open and I had to constantly reattach the velcro so it wouldn't fall off. Obviously I would spend more time strengthening it. I would also cover the holes of the arm cannons. I thought I would have them open so I could put my hands through them but I found it awkward since I was also still holding the lights. Definitely had a fun time making it and I will post on here again when I start my next build.

Thanks,

SlyRedXIII

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back