Star Trek II Romulan Ale Bottle - NEW PICS - PAGE 1 & 4!

Re: Star Trek II Romulan Ale Bottle - IN PROGRESS!

1 last post before I go to work. Lol.....I think the 6 inches for the liquid and the 1 1/4 for the bottom are right, but it looks like the top might be closer to 4 inches than 3...maybe 3 3/4..
then add an inch to the stopper.(Debatable, maybe 3/4)..Now we are looking at a bottle around 12 inches tall. Which looking at the screen caps, it looks like their are a couple wine bootles in the background. I just measured a wine bottle here and its 11 3/4 inches tall uncorked, does this bottle look as tall as a wine bottle? I think it's close.
What do you think?
Besides besides thinking I'm nuts! Lol

They seem really easy to make, this is mine from DS9, they had made 3 or 4 of them, and this is one of them....

Romulan-Ale-original---screen-used-movie-props-Star-Trek--Deep-Space-Nine--TV---1993--prop-12905.html

Last edited:

Hey, that looks great! Although I can't remember that episode....A couple questions: That is Acrylic correct? And how is the stopper connected loose? or with a cork?

Thanks!

It is all acrylic, the center of the rings has a acrylic tube that runs the center of the top. The stopper has a grove cut with a rubber o-ring on the end of it. It is really easy to dup, but you would need to polish the acrylic. I was just lucky to get the one I got.

OK, here's the latest design. Keep in mind that I'm going after the look of the McCoy bottle seen in ST II...

The bottle has an overall diameter of 3.25 inches and when fully assembled with the top it will stand roughly 10" tall.

A word on threads....I would like to do them but since I'm trying to keep the sides thin and since the mating surface of the bottle and depth of the "mating" ring on the top portion is only 3/8 of an inch, I don't think I could build in enough threads to secure the bottle or make them deep enough without being visible through the acrylic.

The top portion of the bottle has 7 stepped regions and a bottom "mating" ring that is the same diameter as the bottom portion of the bottle. On the screen used McCoy bottle, there are 7 steps above the ring that meets the body of the bottle. So, when assembled, there will be 7 steps.

bottleassembled116.jpg

bottleassembled116solid.jpg

Last edited:

Yes, after thinking that through, I guess it would not be screen accurate and look right to do the threads. Do you think the bottle in the screencaps is a little taller than 10 inches?

Last edited:

By the way, I found these corks on the internet....I am sure they could make a clear one. Acrylic or Glass.

But then again, a cork may not be screen accurate. If Mustangs bottle had the Acrylic top with the rubber O ring, then that may be the way to go. But I do want to be able to transprt the bottle without leaking the contents......Thats the way it was given to Kirk. Guess we may have to go back and watch the start of the movie again......

It might just be me but it seems like the bottle even starts to taper before the clear bottom section.

bottleneckdimension.jpg

The bottom quarter of the blue area doesn't look perfectly cylindrical and and tapers before meeting up with the taper of the bottom clear section.

Nick

I think you are looking at the felt piece that is attached to the bottle somehow...Bones has a grip on it when it is poured. This can be detachable.........

OK,here's what the bottle looks like assembled....

bottleassembled116.jpg

bottleassembled116solid.jpg

Last edited:

Yea that looks good. Maybe the top ring a little smaller not much. Your doing a great job with these graphics!

OK, here's the latest and (hopefully) final design minus a couple of tweaks.

First - I decreased the overall diameter of the bottle by 1/4 inch (was 3 1/4" - now 3.00"). I agree with Coletrain that the top ring was too wide but the only way to correct this without adding another smaller diameter ring is to decrease the diameter of the overall bottle, or decrease the stepped ring offsets and I'm happy with them the way they are. Plus, looking at the pic, the original bottle was pretty thin unless Shatner had HUGE hands and he's a little dude so I'm going with no on that one. Plus, at 3", it was easier to calculate the amount of liquid it will hold...more on that later.

What's funny is that if you look at the pics of the original, one of the rings is noticeably taller than the others so who knows what the thing looked like up close and whether or not the rings were uniformly stepped down to the mouth. Luckily, these days, we have the luxury of 3D modeling to eliminate any such oddities so I think this is a good "idealized" version of the bottle.

Second - I made the canister portion slightly taller (was 6" - now 6.5"). I did this because....IF....my liquid volume calculations are correct, the 6.5 x 3 height should give you enough space to hold an average 750ml bottle of what cha got. :).

Third - I designed a stopper and lid (see pic). The lid is the same diameter as the topmost ring (like the screen used appears to be) and the stopper will extend down into the neck of the bottle two rings deep, that is to say 3/4".

What's left to do (IE: Tweaks) - I'm going to run a test to make sure the canister/top and mouth/stopper dimensions are correct. I'm going to see about building in grooves into the stopper (but maybe the canister lip too) for a gasket or two to avoid leaks.

Here's the design as it stands. Remember it's 3" in diameter at the widest point and will stand about 11" tall with the stopper in.

These images are all with the stopper inserted. Notice that it's the same diameter as the top (mouth) ring.

bottlewtop3inchsolid.jpg

bottlewtop3inchclear.jpg

bottlewtop3inchwf.jpg

Re: Star Trek II Romulan Ale Bottle - NEW PICS - PAGE 1 & 3!

Mechmaniac-

I think you're pretty close in dimensions from what I can tell. As a frame of reference- this pic from up thread
Romulan_Ale,_Inter_arma_enim_silent_leges.jpg
has a couple of old-fashioned tumblers in it and generally those are about 3 3/4" to 4 1/4" tall. They look to be about as tall as the top part of the bottle from the photo.

Hey, This is looking good Mechamaniac.....Can you check the stopper in those caps on page 2...Looks like your right in that the stopper is as wide as the top lip, but the stopper looks a little rounded to me and not so uniform to the top spout...Plus, does it look like it is sitting a tad higher than flush against the top? Not trying to be anal, just trying to help......

The new drawing looks a little to narrow I think. To my eye... the proportions of the liquid chamber seem closer to those in the previous update. It looks a little squatter if that makes sense.

Yes, looking at it again, it does look a little too narrow.....Mechamaniac, do you think if you kept the bottle as wide in the first drawings and narrowed the top pyramid just a little. Would that work?

OK, I can revert back to the 3 1/4" diameter design but as I said, it really makes it difficult to get the right amount of taper on the top stepped portion.

The steps are 3/8" high each and are offset by 1/4". I can try and offset them slightly more to push the taper up a bit but if that doesn't work I might have to add an extra ring or two.

I won't be able to get back to it until Tuesday though since I don't have SolidWorks at home. However, I haven't done away with any of the files thus far so it won't be hard to do.

Hey Mechamaniac, as for me, I am in no hurry to make sure you can get it as close to screen accurate as possible....Take your time..Lol, ain't nobody goin nowhere...I would rather that you, I or whoever can try and make this bottle, if not perfect, pretty darn close......Heck, there are props being made on this site that have been in the works for over two years, the Constantine lighter for 1...Lol, but it will be worth the wait! If you, just throw this thing together, nobody is going to want in on it, but if you do it right, EVERYBODY will want one......So i'm in for taking yours and our time with it....You are the guy that has the design capability to do it....And from what I see, your on the right track. A little tweeking here and there and before you know it its finished...Don't feel rushed, I think most everybody would like you to do this thing, thats why they have put their 2 cents worth in...To try and help...Thats a good thing...Me most of all....Lol
:)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back