Star Trek II Romulan Ale Bottle - NEW PICS - PAGE 1 & 4!

My call on that is, that the hole is small that the liquid is pouring through thus keeping the liquid backed up. It is not a freepouring container, so it would take a while to empty. And based on the angle Bones is pouring it, it would still look full until a greater amount had been poured......

Another thing to keep in mind is that Bones is holding some sort of cloth over the upper portion of the bottle where the liquid would be moving and slanting while being poured so it gives the illusion that nothing's moving inside the bottle.

I can adjust it's size however much we want. I originally made the lid the same thickness as the rings of the bottle (3/8" or 9.525mm) but to me it didn't really look like a stopper so I took a bit of creative license and made it twice the thickness of the rings. I could very easily dial it back to say 1.5x the thickness. It would look something like this...

bottleassembledwthintop.jpg

Yes, now I think to me that looks more screen accurate. Also, we will be able to adjust the height that it sits ourselves, flush or up a little.....

I like this! :thumbsup

Re: Star Trek II Romulan Ale Bottle - NEW PICS - PAGE 1 & 3!

Mechmaniac-

I think you're pretty close in dimensions from what I can tell. As a frame of reference- this pic from up thread
g001a.gif
has a couple of old-fashioned tumblers in it and generally those are about 3 3/4" to 4 1/4" tall. They look to be about as tall as the top part of the bottle from the photo.

Those glasses were auctioned by IAW and were described as 4" tall x 3" by 3":

g001b.gif

Yes, we have, to the best of our knowledge recreated the bottle McCoy gives Kirk in STII.....TNG Bottle is just a liitle different with the frosting of the canister and the tube inside where it pours from also, so we decided to go with the STII Bottle...As for the Glasses...If you know where I can get these...Let me know.....:cheers

Hi, I am looking to get this bottle for my friend who is a big Star Trek fan and a big drinker for a birthday gift and I am amazing that NO ONE in the world has anything like this. I went to a company that does CNC turning of Acrylic for prop models and prototypes and things like that. He told me that for a bottle like that, to do it by turning would cost something like $2000 dollars. I was definitely not looking to spend something like that, so I am hoping that casting works better, however so far the only acrylic casting company I contacted so far about it told me that to do a hollow bottle out of acrylic that it would need to be hollow. So if your company works out, that would be great because I really would like to get this.

Hi, I am looking to get this bottle for my friend who is a big Star Trek fan and a big drinker for a birthday gift and I am amazing that NO ONE in the world has anything like this. I went to a company that does CNC turning of Acrylic for prop models and prototypes and things like that. He told me that for a bottle like that, to do it by turning would cost something like $2000 dollars. I was definitely not looking to spend something like that, so I am hoping that casting works better, however so far the only acrylic casting company I contacted so far about it told me that to do a hollow bottle out of acrylic that it would need to be hollow. So if your company works out, that would be great because I really would like to get this.

No worries....We will keep our fingers crossed.... :thumbsup

Was that for a one off or for a quantity? I contacted one place who told me outright that they "don't do bottles". That is probably my fault since I neglected to point out that I'm not asking them to make a bottle, rather three separate pieces that would become a bottle in the end. I have replied to them and will wait and see if they will do it as two pieces. Three if you count the stopper.

In the meantime, I was contacted by a member here who knows of another member here who does turning. I have contacted that person and am waiting to hear from him.

I'll keep everyone posted but I suppose I should start an interest thread.

If anyone here is a member of any Trek boards and/or knows anyone else who would like to get in on a possible run, please feel free to let them know and share the link!. As with any "run" the more you buy, the cheaper the individual units become.

Thanks!

Hey, I just saw this thread and wondered if anyone had checked Quark's Bar? I mean in the series, not in Vegas?
Joe Longo worked in the prop department in many of the films AND on TNG and DS9. Also, Mike Okuda was great about slipping in little references and homages to earlier stuff in TNG and Quark's shelf of bottles.
Plus, Joe probably had the original bottle in his prop box.
I would not be surprised of the TNG one was the exact same bottle, with frosted effect added for hiding scratches or re-gluing or whatever (maybe just to "update" it a bit.) IN fact, I would surprised is it wasn't the same bottle.
Anyway, it just seems like a natural to have been put up on Quark's shelves in that big diamond display behind the bar.
If I can find out any solid info, I will post it.
Also, I think the 3D printing place (Maybe "Shapeways"?) will now make glass objects?
It might not be clear, I don't remember, but it could be printed from your 3D file.

Hey, I just saw this thread and wondered if anyone had checked Quark's Bar? I mean in the series, not in Vegas?
Joe Longo worked in the prop department in many of the films AND on TNG and DS9. Also, Mike Okuda was great about slipping in little references and homages to earlier stuff in TNG and Quark's shelf of bottles.
Plus, Joe probably had the original bottle in his prop box.
I would not be surprised of the TNG one was the exact same bottle, with frosted effect added for hiding scratches or re-gluing or whatever (maybe just to "update" it a bit.) IN fact, I would surprised is it wasn't the same bottle.
Anyway, it just seems like a natural to have been put up on Quark's shelves in that big diamond display behind the bar.
If I can find out any solid info, I will post it.
Also, I think the 3D printing place (Maybe "Shapeways"?) will now make glass objects?
It might not be clear, I don't remember, but it could be printed from your 3D file.

Thanks for the info!

And as to the 3D file yes, I can output it into a format that can be printed in 3D. I've already done so for the mating sections of the bottle to make sure my dimensions and tolerances were correct. :thumbsup

Was that for a one off or for a quantity? I contacted one place who told me outright that they "don't do bottles". That is probably my fault since I neglected to point out that I'm not asking them to make a bottle, rather three separate pieces that would become a bottle in the end. I have replied to them and will wait and see if they will do it as two pieces. Three if you count the stopper.

In the meantime, I was contacted by a member here who knows of another member here who does turning. I have contacted that person and am waiting to hear from him.

I'll keep everyone posted but I suppose I should start an interest thread.

If anyone here is a member of any Trek boards and/or knows anyone else who would like to get in on a possible run, please feel free to let them know and share the link!. As with any "run" the more you buy, the cheaper the individual units become.

Thanks!

Well I contacted two companies. One does casting and told me they can't cast a hollow object and make it clear, it would have to be opaque and I wasn't willing to settle for that. The other company does turning and told me that they "don't usually do products for individuals because it ends up being more expensive than they want". I only asked him to do one and that was the 2000 dollar quote. It might get cheaper if they do more, but due to the nature of their company (prototype model manufacturing) they may not do a big run of any one product. And I did explain that it would be in 2 pieces, because he said he can't make a one piece bottle on a turning machine. He also said that turned acrylic pieces that are hollow end up degrading and showed me another piece that he had done to give me an example and it looked like it was cracking all over so that was something to take note of. But I'm going to keep searching as well for companies or individuals that can do it. I'm also searching glass working companies and art studios and if any of you guys know theatre people that can hook you up with prop makers because a lot of times that can make custom acrylic props, don't forget to ask them. I have an actor friend that is searching around for me, so if either of us finds anything, I will definitely post it here.

It looks fantastic! I can't believe this is actually going to happen! However, this pic kind of puzzles me...

bottleneckp.jpg

If the drink is being poured, why is the liquid in the bottle still completely full? :confused

This screen cap from Manhunt might explain that...the bottle appears to be a tube inside a tube and only the outside tube holds liquid.

How the heck did they accomplish that?

manhunt068.jpg

QuarksBarB

Yea, I seen that episode, and to me that bottle looks nothing like the STII Bottle, this 1 has less rings and none on the bottom....Looks like a completely different bottle......

I would prefer the STII Version.......

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back