Star Trek II Romulan Ale Bottle - NEW PICS - PAGE 1 & 4!

Re: Star Trek II Romulan Ale Bottle - IN PROGRESS!

I just put my hand around a wine bottle, from looking at the screen caps, it may be just a tad wider than a wine bottle but maybe an inch shorter, thus still able to hold 750ml. Thats my guess......

Re: Star Trek II Romulan Ale Bottle

Already took care of that ;) I hadn't designed the canister when I posted the lid. Updated pics coming...

Would it be possible to find an off-the-shelf canister and design the lid to fit? This could lower the production costs. I did a quick search and found some potential options but nothing with a threaded area that would make it water-tight enough for liquid use. I'm sure something exists that would work though. Just an idea.

If it's not obvious, I'm interested too. :)

This is a really fun project - I can't recall seeing a replica of this before so I hope you nail it!
Sometimes when I'm out at the bar with some friends, just to mess with the bartender, I ask for a Romulan Ale. That bewildered look never gets old!

Would it be possible to find an off-the-shelf canister and design the lid to fit? This could lower the production costs. I did a quick search and found some potential options but nothing with a threaded area that would make it water-tight enough for liquid use. I'm sure something exists that would work though. Just an idea.

If it's not obvious, I'm interested too. :)

Yea, I looked also, but with the bottom the way it is an the top needing to be custom made, its prolly best to custom make the whole thing an do it right......

If it's not obvious, I'm interested too.
Yea, I looked also, but with the bottom the way it is an the top needing to be custom made, its prolly best to custom make the whole thing an do it right......

Yeah, blame coletrain66, this might have been an option before he gave us the high res screen caps that showed that the bottom of the bottle is stepped too. ;)

I'm running a test now to see how the lid fits on the lip of the bottle and I'm going to take another look at my canister tomorrow to add the stepped portions on the bottom. More to follow....

This would be a great bottle to have, but just remember.... Romulan Ale is not to be served at diplomatic functions. :D

I would probably have to put something blue in it if I had one though. Even if it was me just adding blue food coloring to whatever I put in there.

Though I wouldn't want to stain it... so I may have to do something else.

Last edited:

I already have the recipe for Romulan Ale! But it might be illegal to give out.......

Lol

This would be a great bottle to have, but just remember.... Romulan Ale is not to be served at diplomatic functions. :D

I would probably have to put something blue in it if I had one though. Even if it was me just adding blue food coloring to whatever I put in there.

Though I wouldn't want to stain it... so I may have to do something else.

Blueberry soft drink I used is an adequat filling for the Ale...

I was thinking blue mint mouthwash or some other kind of blue alcohol... just to keep crud from growing in there.

I second that. But, it's a little sugery on it's own. Kind of... sticky and nasty when it dries out. Best to use something like a harsh vodka or everclear and drop some curacao in it for color and "flavor"... and effect. :love

Hope to have some updated pics tomorrow guys. I ran a fit test on the canister and lid and it went good but I realized that I had made the side walls WAY too thick so I have re-designed it a bit.

I also decreased the diameter of canister and top from 3.6" down to 3.25". The stepped portions didn't look right with the wider canister and top.

Designing the bottle is easy, it's trying to extrapolate the dimensions of the original bottle from the screencaps that's hard...:confused

Here are the dimensions I'm assuming and working with...

The rings on the neck are 3/8" thick on my (newest) design, and are offset 1/4" from each other making for 8 steps total. The bottom step has an inset cut that mates with a lip on the top rim of the canister. This makes the top of the bottle 3" high.

bottleneckdimension.jpg

By looking at De Kelley's hand and remembering that he wasn't a very big guy when I met him years and years ago, I assumed his hand to be about the same size as mine and by holding a ruler in a similar fashion to the pic, I'm going with a length of the main canister of 6".

bottlebodydimension.jpg

Finally, the bottom stepped portion of the bottle is 1.125". I made the steps on the bottom portion of the bottle the same thickness as the ones on the top and there are three of them from what I can see.

bottlebasedimension.jpg

Last edited:

That is some fine measuring! Looks like you are spot on with it......
I am envious that you met Bones.....Do you thing that the top can be screwed to the Canister? I don't now why I have a hangup on that, I just think it would make it better..that's just me, but could be convinced otherwise with a good argument...
:)

I too would like the top to be able to be screwed on and screwed off. I'd like to be able to use this as a real decanter and would like it to be cleanable.

Hey Mechamaniac, I was doing somemeasuring with a few wine bottles that I have around here. I have 1 wine bottle that is 9 1/2 inches in circumference, and another that is 10 1/4, from placing my hand around it and looking at Bones pouring and trying to emulate the same, the bottle looks to be just a little bit wider, I'd say, if I had to take a Vulcan guess that it would be say....10 3/4 round........defintely between those 2 measurements. What do you think?

Hope to have some updated pics tomorrow guys. I ran a fit test on the canister and lid and it went good but I realized that I had made the side walls WAY too thick so I have re-designed it a bit.

I also decreased the diameter of canister and top from 3.6" down to 3.25". The stepped portions didn't look right with the wider canister and top.

Designing the bottle is easy, it's trying to extrapolate the dimensions of the original bottle from the screencaps that's hard...:confused

Here are the dimensions I'm assuming and working with...

The rings on the neck are 3/8" thick on my (newest) design, and are offset 1/4" from each other making for 8 steps total. The bottom step has an inset cut that mates with a lip on the top rim of the canister. This makes the top of the bottle 3" high.

bottleneckdimension.jpg

By looking at De Kelley's hand and remembering that he wasn't a very big guy when I met him years and years ago, I assumed his hand to be about the same size as mine and by holding a ruler in a similar fashion to the pic, I'm going with a length of the main canister of 6".

bottlebodydimension.jpg

Finally, the bottom stepped portion of the bottle is 1.125". I made the steps on the bottom portion of the bottle the same thickness as the ones on the top and there are three of them from what I can see.

bottlebasedimension.jpg

Hey, I also measured the screen, from your red line borders, taking a measure and measuring the screen, the liquid portion of the canister measures 1/5/8...The top portion measures 1 1/8..Now i'm no rocket scientist lol, but that makes the liquid portion 13 1/8s and the top 9 1/8s, now if the top is half of what the bottom is, that would make the bottom around 18 1/8s of an inch or 3 3/8 measuring the screen.....Help me out here, lol....I might be nuts, but measure the screen and see what you come up with...

Lol....Or am I just Anal about it?

Hey, I also measured the screen, from your red line borders, taking a measure and measuring the screen, the liquid portion of the canister measures 1/5/8...The top portion measures 1 1/8..Now i'm no rocket scientist lol, but that makes the liquid portion 13 1/8s and the top 9 1/8s, now if the top is half of what the bottom is, that would make the bottom around 18 1/8s of an inch or 3 3/8 measuring the screen.....Help me out here, lol....I might be nuts, but measure the screen and see what you come up with...

Lol....Or am I just Anal about it?

Are you talking inches? If so, the bottle would be HUGE, over 2 feet tall!

No, I measured the screen in 1/8s of an inch increments......the liguid portion is 1 5/8 and the top is 1 1/8 of an inch...since there are 8/8ths to an inch I was merely breaking the whole thing down by 1/8ths.....so we can get a bigger idea if what we are looking at......

So breaking it down screen size, the liquid portion 1 inch and 5/8th and the top portion is 1 inch and 1/8th, so by your measurements the top is 3inches and the bottom 6 inches. Correct? That would make the top half the size as the liquid part.....but measuring the screen it doesnt add up. The top is a little taller than half the size of the liquid portion. If you will measure the screen you will see what I am talking about.

Or, if you fit the 3 inch top marked off with the red box, into the 6 inch bottom liquid part, it is more than half the size...Do you follow?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back