Star Trek II Romulan Ale Bottle - NEW PICS - PAGE 1 & 4!

Re: Star Trek II Romulan Ale Bottle

Great job! :cheers :thumbsup

romulanalebottle01.jpg

Hi guys,

about 12 ago I've been asked to create the bottles for "Quarks Bar" for a convention in Hannover.

My version of the Romulan Ale bottle and the back detail is attached.

Enjoy

Dietrich

Hi guys,

about 12 ago I've been asked to create the bottles for "Quarks Bar" for a convention in Hannover.

My version of the Romulan Ale bottle and the back detail is attached.

Enjoy

Dietrich

Yea, I know I am looking for the clear bottle McCoy gives to Kirk.....Someone might be interested in yours though......

Not that I'm gonna actually do this but is the one in ST2 also pebbled glass like the Next Gen bottle posted later in the thread or is it clear? It's hard to tell from photos.

Not that I'm gonna actually do this but is the one in ST2 also pebbled glass like the Next Gen bottle posted later in the thread or is it clear? It's hard to tell from photos.

My guess is the ST2 is clear and they frosted the one in TNG to change it up....Clear or frosted could be options offered....

OK, I worked this up in SolidWorks yesterday. Since next to nothing is known about the original props, I had to do a little guess work as to the dimensions etc.

I've modeled this after the one in SurferGeek's post.

The steps are 9.525mm (3/8") tall and wide. The bottom ring is 92.075mm (3.6") in diameter and the top ring is 25.04mm (.98") in diameter. The top overall stands 76.2mm (3") tall.

The hole in the mouth of the bottle is modeled after a water bottle I had sitting on my desk so it's 21.7mm.

If you look at the pics already posted in the thread, there are a couple of options regarding the hole. The one shown in STII seems to have a single diameter hole running all the way down whereas the ones shown in the other pics either have a hole with two different diameters or a hole with a single diameter that flares out towards the bottle portion. I have gone with the straight hole for now but this can be changed.

bottletopsolid.jpg

bottletop.jpg

Yes that looks about right, then the glass stopper at the top with cork attached and I believe you have it!

Perhaps the tube leading down to the 2nd to the last ring, allowing for the last ring to be screwed into the canister..?

Perhaps the tube leading down to the 2nd to the last ring, allowing for the last ring to be screwed into the canister..?

Already took care of that ;) I hadn't designed the canister when I posted the lid. Updated pics coming...

Incidentally, I thought of building in threads at first but I'm a total novice at SolidWorks so it would take a lot of extra work. So, the way I've designed this is so the lid can be plastic welded to the canister.

bottletop2.jpg

bottlebottom.jpg

bottletop3.jpg

bottlebottomsolid.jpg

Last edited:

I would be happy with the 1 piece, but was thinking about cleaning purposes...I would be willing to pay the extra for the screwing..Lol......Anyways, I was looking at the picture where the liquid is being poured, it looks like to me that the hole at the bottom is a tad bit larger than at the opening. Also, looking at it siiting there in the screencap where McCoy gives it to Kirk, it looks like there is an inch or so at the bottom where there is no liquid...Also this bottle looks clear to me....Plus, if we did the screwing..lol, we could offer the frosted version and the clear 1...Something to think about.......

I would be happy with the 1 piece, but was thinking about cleaning purposes...I would be willing to pay the extra for the screwing..Lol

It can be done, but like I said, I'm a novice so it would take some brain scratchin' and tongue sticking out type thinking. :cool

....Anyways, I was looking at the picture where the liquid is being poured, it looks like to me that the hole at the bottom is a tad bit larger than at the opening.

Yeah, if you look at the previously posted pics in this thread, there are three bottle shown, and all three have different approaches to the mouth issue.

The one Bones gives to Kirk looks like a single one diameter hole through the stepped portion.

romulanbottle1.jpg

The one shown being poured has a flared end towards the inside of the bottle.

romulanaleinterarmaenim.jpg

The one shown sitting empty appears to have two holes of differing diameters, the first going through the top two steps, and another going through the bottom steps.

u32859thenextphase369b2.jpg

In the end, it's up to us to decide what we want I guess. :thumbsup

Also, looking at it siiting there in the screencap where McCoy gives it to Kirk, it looks like there is an inch or so at the bottom where there is no liquid

Yes, and this one does too. I could make the bottom or sides thicker or thinner, that's the beauty of 3D modeling. As it stands right now, the canister will have a uniform wall thickness of roughly 3/8".

...Also this bottle looks clear to me....Plus, if we did the screwing..lol, we could offer the frosted version and the clear 1...Something to think about.......

That part will be up to whomever we have cast these. I have no idea how to do texturing in SolidWorks but I could figure it out. This may also be an option offered by whomever we have do the casting.

Personally, I'm shooting for the look of the one Bones gives to Kirk. I want crystal clear and shiny.

Last edited:
Re: Star Trek II Romulan Ale Bottle - IN PROGRESS!

Yes, I am with you...Crystal clear and shiny! I am with you on the ST2 Design also...

BTW, I would prefer it being filled with 100 proof like Bones gives Kirk! Not that diluted crap from TNG! Lol....Bones sure new his Romulan Ale!

I guess we need an interest thread huh? This was 1 bottle that has eluded me since when I saw it first. Anyhow, if you can get that screwing thing figured out, I bet that would be something great!

Yes, I am with you...Crystal clear and shiny! I am with you on the ST2 Design also...

BTW, I would prefer it being filled with 100 proof like Bones gives Kirk! Not that diluted crap from TNG! Lol....Bones sure new his Romulan Ale!

Amen, no synthale will be served in my Ten Forward.

I guess we need an interest thread huh? This was 1 bottle that has eluded me since when I saw it first. Anyhow, if you can get that screwing thing figured out, I bet that would be something great!

Should know in a day or so, just have to do some additional testing. If all goes well, and there's sufficient interest, I will start sourcing places that will cast these in acrylic for us.

Should know in a day or so, just have to do some additional testing. If all goes well, and there's sufficient interest, I will start sourcing places that will cast these in acrylic for us.

Here are a few more screen caps to review....When you open the attachments click on the to supersize! If you look closely you will see that it is a clear bottle, but with a felt attachment covering half, perhaps to use as a pouring grip, or perhaps the stuff was so cold you had to use the felt..Lol, anyhow, the felt or whatever it is can be removable? The pouring tube looks to me like it is uniform, though a tad bit wider than you have drawn, perhaps the width of the mouth is about right straight down. There is definatley a bottom to it. It does look like steps or groves in the bottom though whether it is stepped or not I cant tell. Will have to figure out how wide and tall the whole bottle is...

Whoa, thanks for the caps!

You're correct, it looks like the bottom of the bottle was stepped as well, looks like 3 steps to me. That should be easy to build in though. It also looks as though the bottom steps aren't as deep or pronounced as the top.

As for the size of the bottle, the one I have designed will stand roughly 10" tall. I think the only way we can figure out the size of that one is to extrapolate the size of it from De Kelley's hand. Anyone know how big De Kelley's hand was? :lol

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back