Slush casting the protruding ears of Shrek!

Boneskinmachine

Hello everyone, much respect to The RPF, long time reader first time poster. I'd love to get your thoughts on this one, being that it is my first pep to cast and I have found my way as far as I am with Shrek by reading your experiences. So Shrek is a pepakura model. I have resined the outside and rondoed inside. I basically planned to make a silicone mold and slush cast a resin casting of him in the same manor as a lot of pep helmets are done I see. The difference that I didn't think about until now is that Shrek has protruding ears from either side. Not as straight forward to mold as, say, a Magnito helmet. It looks like I will have to cast his head and his ears separately and bond them together later as much as I don't want to. Am I right? I know I am future tripping a bit here being that I haven't even smoothed his face out, just looking to hear a few thoughts. Thanks!

image.jpg

I've never done any casting before but it looks like you would have to remove both ears and cast them Separate.maybe when you Reeve the ears as something to the head that tells you where they go?

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

Boy, I'm thinking now that making a Y cut up the back of the silicone mold branching off and up each ear will allow me to remove the model after the mold dries. I could then seal the cut back up with silicone and then again make the Y cut when the cast is dry. Sounds good in my head... am I missing anything? Lol

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back