Horror movies: discuss away

Re: Horror movies. What's your favorite and why?

Many great movies listed. I'll add "Suspiria" by Dario Argento. Terrifying stuff when I finally got a hold of the uncut japanese laserdisc version back in the day.

Did anyone watch VHS? I heard it was good. It's on Netflix.

Anyone have good recommendations of horror on Netflix?

The Bride of Frankenstein- Beautifully shot. Every screen grab is composed like a painting. The creature and his longing for humanity is a perfect metaphor for contemporary man.

Jaws- Cause at 40 years old, I still won't go in the ocean because of it. Plus Robert Shaw is brilliant.

The Exorcist- A game changer for supernatural horror films. And terrifying when I was a kid.

The original Night of the Living Dead- Another perfect metaphor of the post-modern age mentality of "us vs. THEM." The blueprint for every zombie movie after.

The Descent- Claustrophobic, oppressive, terrifying... and then mutants show up.

Sleepaway Camp- So cheesy, so bizarre, and ending that will stick with you FOREVER.

Jurassic Park- Brilliant special effects that still hold up (plus Jeff Goldblum stuttering all over the place about Life). Scary as hell.

Edit:
Forgot Tobe Hooper's Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Growing up in Wisconsin hearing about Ed Gein made this movie even more brutal and scary.

I thought the second one was better, depends what floats yer boat. The first one has a coupla good sequences, but some really duff ones too. Have you seen You're Next? Some of the guys from the VHS project, I thought it was pretty fun.

Many great movies listed. I'll add "Suspiria" by Dario Argento. Terrifying stuff when I finally got a hold of the uncut japanese laserdisc version back in the day.

Rewatched it a couple of days ago, what got cut? I know there was a version where the dog attack was edited, and possibly the razor-wire?

Rewatched it a couple of days ago, what got cut? I know there was a version where the dog attack was edited, and possibly the razor-wire?

In sweden, everything was cut ;) The japanese version had some more plot scenes and most of the killings were longer with more closeups. If I recall correctly a much better version was released later that made the japanese one obsolete.

I need some IMDB pages for these movies you guys keep bringing up! That way I can get a general synopsis and an idea of the cover art so I can keep an eye out for them! Uncut? Tell me more!

How about Wes Craven's attempt to make another horror icon with Wishmaster in '97? It was obviously supposed to be a big deal because he got Robert Englund and Kane Hodder to be in it. I really enjoyed the first two. They're all on Netflix BTW. I felt like he might have been trying a little too hard. Why didn't that franchise take off?

Last edited:
My list isn't very original but these are the most influential horror films of my childhood.

Night of the Living Dead (1968) - this is the first film that went "over the top" for me as a kid. It was beyond horror as I knew it at the time - the pacing, the oppressive atmosphere, the B&W photography, the absence of clear story arc and the depiction of zombies just shook me up completely. I realize many of those elements were not as calculated but reflected the limited resources and budget ... but it all just worked. And I wanted more.

The Exorcist (1973) - another atmospherically effective film that broke more than a few rules in terms of my expectation of the supernatural horror film genre. Like the other film it was effective in that I, as a viewer, was completely disoriented with what to expect next.

That principle of "disorientation" is what makes a film engrossing and unforgettable for me. I had the same experience with Star Wars which defied my perceptions about sci-fi. Jurassic Park did the same with respect to CG effects at that instant the guy gets gobbled up by the T-Rex - in the remainder of the film I was at the edge of my seat and felt genuine fear for the characters.

Alien (1979) - marketed and produced as a sci-fi film this movie had me cowering when it unexpectedly drew sincere horror from a completely unexpected scenario.

The Thing (1982) - Bob Bottin's finest work IMO. Concepts (not story but specific scenes) were disarmingly original. It's just such a perfectly crafted movie for me that stands up to repeated viewings. I can't recall another film where I found myself both laughing out loud and scared at the same time.

For being a set of low-budget found-footage movies within a bigger low-budget found-footage movie, it was fantastic.

You get standard, classic monsters (creatures, demons, etc), and you also get human monsters.

The sequel had some great scenes as well.

Anyone have some Netflix specific horror recommendations for us?

I have a few:
I bury the dead
Day of the dead
Wishmaster 1,2, and 3

just to name a few

Movies made by a British studio called Hammer Films in the 1950s-1970s. Hammer revived a lot of the characters made popular by Universal in the 1930s-'40s. Most of the Hammer films starred Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing either together or apart. Despite often low budgets, the films generally were well written, directed, and acted. Real craft. If you've never seen them, you're in for a real treat.

Hope this helps.

Don't forget David Prowse played Frankenstein's monster in (I think) 2 Hammer films.

Anyone watch Troma movies? I've got all the Toxic Avengers on VHS. I haven't really seen many others. I saw that there are a few on Netflix but I haven't watched them. Surf Nazis being one of them. Any other Troma movies worth watching?

I filmed a blog talking about horror movies back in November, as stated everywhere my blogs are very boring but if you're a glutton for punishment the horror movie talk starts at the 3:00 minute mark (to skip ahead).

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the original Phantasm was an excellant horror movie........all the sequels sucked. The very existance of the Phantasm sequels is pointless. At the end of the first one you learn that the whole movie was (or was it?) a dream. Characters who lived in the movie are dead at the end and people who died are alive. Then you go to part 2 and wait, it was a dream yet it is really happeneing? It just makes absolutely no sense beyond the ending of the first one. This was a great movie that was made to be ONE film. It wrote itself into such a corner with its trick ending that to even try to advance the story totally contradicts everything that you enjoyed about the movie.

The franchise basically tells you "Yeah, the first movie was the best one, but that movie didn't really happen, the real story is parts 2,3,4.

Totally stupid. First one is a true classic. Ignore the rest.

I wish they would remake The Creature From the Black Lagoon........................the orginal was the best..........but the scariest movie of my life was when I saw the first Invasion of the Body Snatchers in black/white....brother scared me to death every night for weeks...I was about 8 years olds....saying there was a Pod under my bed......ha ha......

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back