The Winter Soldier - Falcon (Possible Build)

Stucky

One of my friends has asked me to make him a Falcon costume for SDCC 2014. As of right now he is still trying to get tickets (which is why this is a 'possible build'), but he wants me to attempt to make him the wings in addition to the costume.

Because I am rather lazy, I have been thinking of just doing the wings like this action figure. It would make the build a lot less complicated and give him freedom to move his arms while he's in the con center.

My Winter Soldier (a friend who is helping me with costumes for this year) wants to attempt to make a more solid, movie canon piece. The only way I can think of doing it is to put hinges in between the different panels so that they could fold up to look something like Sam's backpack in this picture.
(reference for extended wings)

Any help with materials and ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Also, we will probably buy Sam's clothing from an army surplus store, but I can't seem to find the exact blue camo pattern that he's wearing in the movie.
The closest thing that I've found are:
pant1
pant2
pant3 (I think these are the most canon)

For his glasses, I was thinking about using my old basketball blinders and fitting frames to them so that we did not have to waste money buying something that we have a version of already.

I will keep this thread updated as we move along.
Unfortunately, this one definitely will not be completed by the release of TWS, but we have 6 months until SDCC and I believe it can be done by then.
But, if he can get tickets, we will have the whole WS team (Nat, Cap, WS, Sam, and Agent 13) which will be awesome to parade around the center as a group.

I may have found the pattern for the pants
Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 8.32.09 PM.png
(the link to the page is here.)
Of course, we will need to make some modifications to the pants (depending on how canon my friend wishes to be), but I think that the coloring of these pants is the most similar to what Sam wears in the movie.

As for the shirt, Sam seems to have two different types of shirts during the movie. A short sleeved shirt and a long sleeved shirt.
The long sleeves seem as if they would be better for combat. I don't know why they'd use short sleeves for part of Sam's uniform, but it might be more kind to my friend to give him the short sleeves for a July Con.
(It all depends on how I make the wings in the end)
I haven't found a shirt that is accurate enough to post as a possibility. And a lot of the 'tactical' shirts that have the sort of style we need are expensive.
In the end, we might just have to make one.

One of my friends knows how to make harnesses and I am going to ask her to attempt to make a MCU canon version of Sam's.
I think that we will modify knee pads or old protective gear lying around the house from my brother's sports days to make Falcon's 'armor'.

I am still stuck on the wings (mostly because I have put it in the back of my mind) but I hope to talk to my partners in crime soon.

Also, if anyone has seen a shirt (long sleeve or short sleeve) that looks similar to the ones that Sam wears, I would greatly appreciate it if you could please post it here!
Thank you in advance and I'll post whatever I come up with for the wings on here whenever I get around to it.

No luck :(
And I was stuck in bed this week with bronchitis so I have made 0 progress on all of my builds.

But it does not look like the backpack pack will be fun to make
Anthony_Mackie-Winter-Soldier.jpg
tumblr_n0kqndt5v11qmgwmbo2_250.gif
It's just mocking me at the moment.

This could be an awesome build! I love the look of his wings, but it's gonna be quite the enterprise. My suggestions would be to try to make the wings out of a combination of foam core and resin-thin but strong. Also, don't take too much time worrying about pants, etc., but focus more on some kick -butt wings!

The reason I'm focusing on the smaller parts of the costume right now is that our Sam doesn't have a badge for SDCC and I'm hesitant to dedicate an ungodly amount of time to wings that would go (mostly) unused if he is unable to get a badge.

And whatever free time I get is put towards my other set of wings. But, they're moving along nicely and I should be (hopefully) done with them soon.

I was thinking about using foam because it seems the most straightforward, but I like the idea of resin.
Unfortunately, I don't have experience with it. Do you (or anyone else who stumbles across this xP) have any advice/tutorials/etc regarding resin?
I'm off to explore the internet for information, but it always help to know which advice has been tested.

My dad and I are making Falcon for C2E2! So far we have the wings cut out and the back pack base ready. The wings won't fold out like Falcons (for obvious reasons, though we're trying to see if we could ever get it done), but they will rotate fully from a resting position to up above his head. We're using acrylic sheets for the wings so we get that see through effect after we frost them. I'll let you know what works and what doesn't as we tackle this :)

To use resin, the important thing is to make small batches I buy plenty of cheap brushes at the dollar store, cheap paint rollers would be good too.

My dad and I are making Falcon for C2E2! So far we have the wings cut out and the back pack base ready. The wings won't fold out like Falcons (for obvious reasons, though we're trying to see if we could ever get it done), but they will rotate fully from a resting position to up above his head. We're using acrylic sheets for the wings so we get that see through effect after we frost them. I'll let you know what works and what doesn't as we tackle this :)

They sound awesome!
You should make a progress thread or post it when you finally finish it!

Are you having yours fold away at all or are you opting to just keep them extended permanently?
How heavy do you think they're going to be at the end and what thickness did you use for the acrylic sheet?

I definitely like the idea of using acrylic and I'll bounce it off of the guy who's going to be wearing them.

What did you make the backpack base with?
I was thinking maybe foam?

And Looch
Thank you for the tips
I will take them into consideration when I finally get around to resin. And yes, cheap is good. Very good. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, you only need to do the resin if you want them more permanent. And, just remember-there are plenty of other cons. I've pretty-much given up on them. Debut it at Emerald City!

Subscribed... I've got a costume contest coming up at the end of April, and one of my entries might be a Falcon!!

Subscribed to this thread as well. Think Falcon could use some help here. Should be interesting what everyone comes up with.

I'm also making a Falcon cosplay for DragonCon. I'll help, by doing a 3d model for the pepakura file.
This is gonna be awesome!

I'm going to drop it a little lower on my back, plastidip it and add LEDs out the bottom vents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back