light -p LED Gambit playing card help

Solider

I'm going to place a playing card between 2 pieces of clear plastic sheets cut to the size of the card. I'm going to use a tool to cave in the card details. I'm going to place the led lights on the bottom edge. I have 3 blue and 2 red led's that will be on the bottom to make purple. There will be a button on the bottom of the card. When held the card lights up. The places I carve in and edges will light up. there will be a 9v battery to power it.. I have all the voltage worked out. the card will be the ace of diamonds.

I need help with gluing. what can I use to glue the card between the 2 pieces of plastic? What glue can I use to get the led light to stay at the bottom edge of the card? The light are flat and square. I don't want the glue to impede the light on the leds at the bottom or the card between the plastic.

Try putting the LED's in the gloves so whichever card you do hold can light up. The power source can be fed from the tips of the fingers to the wrist and secured there.

THe battery will be ether in the hand unseen or on the wrist. But what can I use to glue the plastic together over the card that will dry clear and not cause the led light to dim or show up in the glue? I gust want the area I etch in to light up.

If you were to stick to this route I would glue the edges and not the whole thing but I'm sure there's a clear adhesive out there that'll do what you need. Now to throw my unsolicited idea that somehow immediately popped into my head when I read your post as Gambit was always my favorite on the X teams. Reference the attached image, basically take some plexi or lexan and cut out the negative area around the lettering, and symbols. Now if you want to get real fancy about this I would make a string of smd led's and resistors to light the symbol area's maybe a handful extra for additional glow effect then either find a suitable button that will fit or build one with some bits of metal. Then sandwich this whole thing between two cards, I would only glue the edges on the top card for easy removal to change batteries, and to allow flex for when you press the button. Depending on thickness of your plexi you could probably get 4 - 8 CR3023 batteries giving you 12 to 24 volts that you can tie together any way you need to run the thing.

ss2600__-_lifesize_cardboard_cutout_of_ace_of_diamonds_poker_night_buy_cutouts_at_starstills.jpg

This whole package gives you a nice small package no palmed batteries, hell fill it with hot glue, and build a latching circuit for the switch so it stays on and you could probably even throw em around for fun effect at night.

I may have to try this one myself. I have some pink SMD LEDs sitting in a drawer that would go well within a card. :)

I already have the materials. my hope is that the detailing on the surface of the plastic will light up with the lights on the bottom. I plan to use a dremal tool to etch in the ace's on the one side and follow the cards back design on the other so all the etched ares light up. I will post pics when I'm done. I have to have it finished for my friend for C2E2. If it doesn't turn out your idea sounds good. so far the parts total is $20. that is for the led's, resisters, battery connector, playing cards, and I already had the thin sheets of Plexiglas, solder, soldering iron and wire.

I may have to try this one myself. I have some pink SMD LEDs sitting in a drawer that would go well within a card. :)

If you do be sure to post plenty of internal pic's and a video.

And ya Solider l wasn't thinking you'd switch and the etching idea would give it a nice look and you could add some accents around the card for when it lights up, and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

The lexan is probably the best route, but if you still want to glue it then one type of Gorilla glue dries clear.
Or a super clear silicone might be another way to go. Rona and home hardware up here carry a water clear silicone though I forget the brand

here is some pics of the light up card in action at the Chicago C2E2. My bud is gambit. I and Wolverine in one of the pics.

1613866_10100478528153275_6847343021376553865_n.jpg10151141_10100478527873835_4000219160029354729_n.jpg10271543_10100478528263055_7678902353889151577_n.jpg

That's actually really cool. I have looked at a lot of ways to do this effect myself, and your final illuminated project looks very good. One of the better ones I've seen in daylight, for sure.
I made it with ultra bright led's. the glue I use dried clear. I used mirror like reflective tape on all the visible plastic on the handle to reflect all the light up into the card. 5 led lights, 3 blue, 2 red. I used fine sandpaper and exacto knife to make the details that light up.

I'm making a new card that will possibly be good enough to sell. I'm going to try UV and PINK leds having the UV leds' constant and the pink leds on a pulse controller. I'm in the long process of getting a final product made but it will take time

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back