sintra question...............

I used to get mine from a sign shop in IL until they went out of business. :unsure

Now I get it at US Plastic and have it shipped to me. I don't like the way they roll the thinner sheets to ship it (especially Styrene), but it works out. I prefer it to be shipped flat, even if it is a little more expensive on shipping.

Most anything can be made with the .080 Sintra (2mm). I also use .120 (3mm) for projects I need more durability for (like my Boba armor). Don't even think about the .040 (1mm). It's like paper, unless that's what you're looking for.

Different colors are different prices. Find the thickness you want, the size of the sheet you need, then check the different prices on the colors that they offer.

Good luck.

Try the yellow pages under sheet plastic.

Or

Look for their website and ask them for the name of the dealer is in your area. I have called manufacturers before and they are always glad to look it up.

Sintra is good stuff. My cat is very old and can't jump like he used to. I just happened to make him some stairs out of sintra this weekend so he can get on to the furniture without help.

Originally posted by Jango_Fettish@Jan 8 2006, 05:22 PM
I was told that "for sale" signs from places like walmart work. The guy who told me this referred to it as "poor man's sintra"
[snapback]1154044[/snapback]​

ACK. What would you use it for?.? I don't know the composition of those "FOR SALE" signs, but even if it is made out of Sintra, it's what, about .3mm thick (or less)?

I'm sure you could use it for something, but everything I use Sintra for (armor, props, etc.) require something that's much thicker (at least 2mm). :D

If you're ordering online, try to get the 4' sheets. Anything over 4' won't fit into the bins/racks in the back of a UPS truck and they therefore have to use 2 bins and charge you a "surcharge" for their "inconvenience". :rolleyes

Have fun. :thumbsup

pm wont go through so I'll just ask it here.
Hey, I wondering if you knew if they make sintra in 4 mm thick?
-thanks.
" .160" Thick
-Would that be 4mm?

I used to buy mine from a local sign shop as well. It was a third of the price compared to the plasics shop I was buying from. They also sold styrene sheets.

Originally posted by ~Sal~@Jan 9 2006, 04:43 PM
pm wont go through so I'll just ask it here.
Hey, I wondering if you knew if they make sintra in 4 mm thick?
-thanks.
" .160" Thick
-Would that be 4mm?
[snapback]1154765[/snapback]​

I've seen Sintra in sizes up to 17mm thick (~3/4"). :)

Gets pricey the thicker you go, of course. ;)

Check that link I posted in the 2nd post from the top... They have .160" in 48"x48" sheets for $31.60 and 48"x96" sheets for $57.55.

Originally posted by Fetthunter@Jan 8 2006, 08:59 PM
ACK.  What would you use it for?.?  I don't know the composition of those "FOR SALE" signs, but even if it is made out of Sintra, it's what, about .3mm thick (or less)? 

I'm sure you could use it for something, but everything I use Sintra for (armor, props, etc.) require something that's much thicker (at least 2mm).  :D

You have me worried now. I wag going to try using the signs for my femme fett using templates for the armor and then covering it with fiberglass (mostly to practise before I fiberglassed my rubies helmet). Since you've made stuff before (this will be a first for me), do you think my plan will work?

I completely forgot to mention...

Some plastics suppliers will get an order for a certain size sheet and cut a big sheet down to size for the customer. Then there is the unused part that frequently goes to waste. One place I have been to has a big bin that gets hoisted up by the forklift and thrown out when it full. So ask your local supplier if they have any scraps to trash. At the very worst they may sell it to you cheap.

Does not hurt to ask.

Originally posted by Jango_Fettish@Jan 9 2006, 08:14 PM
You have me worried now. I wag going to try using the signs for my femme fett using templates for the armor and then covering it with fiberglass (mostly to practise before I fiberglassed my rubies helmet). Since you've made stuff before (this will be a first for me), do you think my plan will work?
[snapback]1154922[/snapback]​

If you fiberglass it, it should be ok. Get the shape right with the Sintra, then reinforce it with the fiberglass. There's little chance the "FOR SALE" sign would have enough structural integrity to do the job alone.

For reference, a "FOR SALE" sign is about as thick as a few sheets of paper. In contrast, the Sintra I use is 2mm (.080") thick for Fett gauntlets, various props and weapons, and 3mm (.120") thick for Fett chest armor, Fett knee armor, etc. I use Sintra for thermoforming, NEVER for vacuumforming. That's what Styrene and ABS are for. :D

Also be warned that some have said that Sintra (being nothing more than PVC in "sheet" form) releases carcinogens when heated and may cause cancer years down the road, blah blah blah... I'm sure Styrene and ABS (being a form of Styrene) probably do too. Be safe, have fun, and don't hack the fumes. ;)

Originally posted by TK412@Jan 9 2006, 06:11 PM
http://www.lairdplastics.com

The best one to get is the 3mm (1/8) Sintra Dark Gray 48x96( 4x8) for 31.00 bucks.  they could cut it in half. 4x4 sheets.

I've been using that for years.
[snapback]1154848[/snapback]​

Yep. I've been using 3mm Sintra for chest armor for years now. Very durable stuff. It's a bit thick for smaller prop pieces, not having a tight bend radius, but that's what 1mm and 2mm Sintra are for. ;)

That's a good price on a 3mm x 4' x 8' sheet. I've rarely needed a continuous 8' piece, so cutting is usually an acceptable thing to do when I order (plus it cuts shipping costs.).

I hope Laird gets their site working. It looks promising. :)

Originally posted by TheSt.LouisKid@Jan 9 2006, 11:04 PM
I completely forgot to mention...

Some plastics suppliers will get an order for a certain size sheet and cut a big sheet down to size for the customer. Then there is the unused part that frequently goes to waste. One place I have been to has a big bin that gets hoisted up by the forklift and thrown out when it full. So ask your local supplier if they have any scraps to trash.  At the very worst they may sell it to you cheap.

Does not hurt to ask.
[snapback]1155025[/snapback]​

True. The place I used to order from online in Chicago had a section on their website for "pieces" of sheets. I used to order 12" x 12" and 24" x 24" squares of 2mm and 3mm Sintra from them. In fact, my Boba armor (except my backplate) is entirely made out of those 12" x 12" and 24" x 24" scrap pieces of Sintra. They're also way cheap to ship due to their small size, plus sometimes you don't need a full or half sheet for a project.

Sintra is fun stuff. :D

DSC00429a.jpg

You are in the DFW area? Go to AAA Plastics and ask for Bill. I have a bunch of spare Sintra sheets if you need likea 2' X 3' sized piece. It is 1/8" inch. I also have several 1/4" inch rectangles that are about 4" inches X 12" inches.

I am in Grapevine. PM me if you want some.

Later,

John

Originally posted by DarthJRW@Jan 2 2006, 05:23 PM
were can you buy sintra???
[snapback]1148722[/snapback]​

Originally posted by Fetthunter+Jan 10 2006, 01:49 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fetthunter @ Jan 10 2006, 01:49 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Jango_Fettish
@Jan 9 2006, 08:14 PM
[snapback]1154922[/snapback]​

If you fiberglass it, it should be ok. Get the shape right with the Sintra, then reinforce it with the fiberglass. There's little chance the "FOR SALE" sign would have enough structural integrity to do the job alone.

For reference, a "FOR SALE" sign is about as thick as a few sheets of paper. In contrast, the Sintra I use is 2mm (.080") thick for Fett gauntlets, various props and weapons, and 3mm (.120") thick for Fett chest armor, Fett knee armor, etc. I use Sintra for thermoforming, NEVER for vacuumforming. That's what Styrene and ABS are for. :D

Also be warned that some have said that Sintra (being nothing more than PVC in "sheet" form) releases carcinogens when heated and may cause cancer years down the road, blah blah blah... I'm sure Styrene and ABS (being a form of Styrene) probably do too. Be safe, have fun, and don't hack the fumes. ;)
[snapback]1155074[/snapback]​
[/b]

Thanks. Now I know who to hunt down when I have a question :p
And as for that little health warning.. I play with chemicals for a living

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back