Beauty and the Beast - Enchanted Rose (Valentine's Day)

Angel Song

So I'd been planning this for a long time and seeing as the girlfriend has no clue about this site and since she'll be getting it in about 4 hours anyway I figured it'd be safe to post the pics up in here hahaha.

So my gf is a HUGE Disney fan so I wanted to recreate the enchanted rose from beauty and the beast but I wanted to go the extra mile with lights and sounds, kind of like a musical display.

so I folded a rose out of origami, got some help from my buddies to fashion a wooden base, found the perfect glass dome for it and worked out the wiring with scrap light boards from other trinkets and an MP3 player I bought especially for this purpose.

I ended up learning how to tint for this project because I used a 2 way mirror to hide the circuits and a mirrored layer beneath it to reflect the light back around. All in all I'm pretty happy with it and thought it turned out really well. I can't wait to see her reaction when i give it to her.

Here's the pics of the project. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask :) Let me know what you guys think.

Here's the Origami Rose portion: I went with the Kawasaki Rose variation.
You'll see the rest of the rose with the wire stem base and leaves at the end

The Base - I made it by cutting out 3 circles and gluing them together and then my buddy MADE a makeshift lathe to help me get everything going. the end result was stunning considering he hadn't worked a lathe in over 15 years

Here's the base with the glass dome

the electronics:
so for this part I bought a cheap MP3 player that shuffles but stays on with a switch. it was about 10 bucks on amazon. I also bought a pair of direct play speakers, not super loud but loud enough that it'll work as a small prop and not require an extra power source.
I also took a light board that my buddy helping me with the lathe offered. It's the board off of one of those stands you put a crystal figurine over and it shines light into it. we went with that one because it had a twinkling effect that I wanted. So I ripped everything apart loaded up the 2 songs I wanted it to shuffle between (enchanted rose prologue and tales as old as time, both instrumental) took apart the player and wired soldered everything together which resulted in :

We then stained the wood and let it dry for 2 days and then worked on putting everything into the base we build out of plastic sheets.

this is what it looks like when flipped over. the otherwise of this white sheet everything is connected to is actually mirror tinted to reflect the light and give the illusion that you're not seeing down into the next layer (kinda hard to explain but I don't have a pic) It's all operated from a rocker switch and we put another base on it to hide all the electronics on the bottom. I then took a half centimeter thick clear plastic sheet and applied mirror tint to it to act as the plate where the rose will sit. I drilled a hold in the centre to allow for the rose to look like it's "floating"

This is the entire case before the rose was put into it

the finished Origami Rose on the platform :)

THE ENCHANTED ROSE!!!!

I don't know why the video is so warped proportionally, but maybe it's because I had to flip it 90 degrees...
either way here's a video of the rose in action. I didn't realize I wasn't holding the camera close enough but there is music playing

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back