Elsa from Frozen! Nightmare mode set.

What sequin film? There are many grades and many plastics and many companies. Though I've never come across any sheet plastic that cracks at that thickness. Even styrene will take a bit of bending before it starts to shear at less than 0.15mm. The rolls and film intended for craft however are generally not laminated (like commercial sequins are) so the iridescent layer is a wash which eventually wears off.

As per my first page of this thread, from 2014 I have tested many options.

Josey Rose and the Elizabeth Craft shimmer sheetz, I suppose I should have been more specific. I've had problems with cracks when punching (sequin punch, paper punch and cricut) as well as attempting to punch my own holes via an unthreaded sewing machine needle. I think a micro dremel bit would be less likely to have that problem since it might melt the hole a bit on entry?

WOW, that is truly amazing! I think the whole winter theme is a rarely explored area for costumes. I love it when I run across an "Elsa", especially if I am in my original Frost King costume.

Yeah, the options are wide but not if you are after something specific! I have lucked in to finding good sized sequins that need dyeing but are very flexible and the opal layer is a good laminated layer :)

I also picked up a Dremel workstation so will be mounting that to a stable base because I have two micro tool options :) If worst comes to the worst I will try to use my sewing machine to punch holes as I did for my Shaak Ti Akyul tooth pieces :) They were not quite as successful as the plastic was thicker so fingers crossed :)

And thank you Kingtoy :) I'm also about to make a more event friendly cape- same level of care but slightly sturdier base fabric :) I managed to get some Hean N Bond for $NZ7/m so hooray!

Due to a lot of work with charity groups I've needed to replace my cape before it actually gets damaged :)

New vs original Elsa cape colours. I will tint this to the perfect shade! I just need so much colour intensifier as it uses so little dye. If that makes sense. Not sure that it does...

30251602533_2915cb1915.jpg

#elsacosplay cape printed and tulle being cut so as to not waste too much net and heat n bond

30586047220_27c5919846.jpg

#elsacosplay cape flurry heatnbonded and the printed glued to one side. The central back icicle is asymmetric in terms of cut outs so I folded the print down cb and glued on other side.

30789385032_0a95c897d6.jpg

#elsacosplay snowflake chaos. About to put all the paper into recycling and figure out the rest!

30790889322_dfa4fe93d0.jpg

#elsacosplay snowflake pile. Had a few comments suggesting this method is not hardcore, no it is. I have to use a rotary cutter, scalpel, and embroidery scissors from this point and each flake has already been cut at least twice and through three layers.

30818904131_e699711d2d.jpg

#elsacosplay snowflake tulle. It's seriously delicate! This means I have to be careful with pressing the fusing- I want it to basically dissolve between the fibres but also really stick to those fibres. Andt to not melt those fine fibres!

30607308340_8432bf9b1f.jpg

#elsacosplay three flakes down! Okay I may be able to stack up to three at a time if I get my scalpel or cutting knife out. But for now a break as I cut my left hand on my rotary blade.

30933436076_1c73a33e06.jpg

#elsacosplay. Flake type 1 done. Next lot are type 3. There are 8 different shapes each in different sizes. I have already cut type 4.

30668796080_6caf015007.jpg

#elsacosplay more flakes. So that was 12 cut today. I am so sore though that I have to stop.

30873584042_3b0dff7fda.jpg

#elsacosplay cape flurry and icicles detailing. I will need to give everything a very good press as my iron in the studio does not really get hot. I may have to switch them out.

30927708741_8ffac560e7.jpg

#elsacosplay flake type 2 underway. Thankfully my luck with stacking these holds true. Blade needs changing regularly though

31006037346_a2d1b30299.jpg

#elsacosplay past the half way mark by quite some way. But now to stop and rest my tendons :)

31075014975_c109e27046.jpg

#elsacosplay cape flakes and flurry cut! Cape actually happy with the shade! And all my small diamantes readyt to sew in place :)

Dress is amazing and gorgeous, very detailed work:thumbsup

Thank you :)

Also, another update :) I finally found a tulle that is as crisp as my totally lovely (though now put aside as it was my last project with my darling kitty boy) but as heavy as the movie.

It's not a perfect match but it is totally translucent :) Which means being able to dye it perfectly. It's so clear it looks purple when folded up.

sm_DSC_2691.jpg sm_DSC_2692.jpg
I also have an epic amount of opalescent organza. It's not totally accurate but really, it would look incredible layered underneath.

ANd I finally have a sort of solution to my sequin wishes!

sm_DSC_2050.jpg
The holes in the stems are the machine punched holes, the holes at the tips of the leaves are made by the 0.5mm punch tool in the picture.
http://www.arrayedindreams.com/2017/01/02/cleves-leaves-progress/ (for the project using the leaves :) )

If I can find smaller I will but this at least heads into the territory of looking like magic rather than commercially available.

And I have a batch of translucent sequins with no holes! They are 25mm so I can cut 288 at a time :) Possibly more.

Text update as I am taking a short break (I separated a rib, then got a cold- I haven't had one in a while so it's a bit draining.)

I was about to lay down a lot of cash for some Heat n Bond as I usually wait for 40$ off sales but found some on ebay and yay still cheaper :)

And I am going to use some iridescent fabric to line the entire thing so I can press some permanent crisp lines in the cape so it is always in her "in full control" state :)

But I am getting to wear her again for a few big events so I'll also be cutting and dyeing up my sequins. They are nice solid PET ones I think.

Also I did make over new shoes :) I just need a little more Shoe Goo to tidy the toe area.

Also... I HAVE A 3D printer!! A big ass Anycubic Mega and I am going to be getting very creative with making icicles and snowflakes, and heels. So as today is a stay indoors and keep warm day I may calibrate (calibrations) it properly for the new permanent home on a stable glass table top. I am going to need my printer to be fine tuned if I am making things to be worn.
That said I also know how to sculpt and cast so could have done some in acrylic resin...

Right. Okay.

But I hate this part.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back