Space Ship Set Help

Hunt270

Hi there,

Looking for some help with some set designs I am working on, mainly suggestions on where to get specific materials. Switches and buttons shouldn't be to hard but I wanted to get a few older monitors to program like the ones in "Alien" aboard the Nostromo.

Any suggestions on where I could find or replicated those kinds of monitors?
And have them in working condition?
I thought m,aybe I could replicate it on a newer monitor but wasn't sure. Need them to be small, 7 or 8 inch screens.

Thanks for any help.

Hi there,

Looking for some help with some set designs I am working on, mainly suggestions on where to get specific materials. Switches and buttons shouldn't be to hard but I wanted to get a few older monitors to program like the ones in "Alien" aboard the Nostromo.

Any suggestions on where I could find or replicated those kinds of monitors?
And have them in working condition?
I thought m,aybe I could replicate it on a newer monitor but wasn't sure. Need them to be small, 7 or 8 inch screens.

Thanks for any help.

Garage sales, Craigslist and thrift shops. I see them cheap at thrift stores all the time or on Craigslist in the free section.

Hit ebay up for "portable television sets" or "small tv". A majority of what you are going to find are going to be black and white though. Good luck! I would love to see what you are working on.

keep in mind older analog monitors will not read correctly with digital cameras. Your likely best off to source modern HD monitors and fabricate the housing. Its the same with LED's, they tend to flicker/pulse through digital cameras. The LED thing can be an added benefit if utilized proper. Have a look at the stutter when lowering the output on basic LED RGB bulbs, around the 50 second mark:
7W RGB LED Colour Bright Light Bulb 85-265V - YouTube

Since switches annd buttons dont need to actually function, you can fabricate those as well. You would be amazed at how many buttons you can get from discarded keyboards, (break the keyboards apart and scavenge the buttons) backlite with a small hole drilled in the middle of the keys.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back