Slave I help

CGClone

Sr Member
Hey guys, I was given a AMT/Ertl Slave 1 kit yesterday. I have been scouring around trying to find colors for this badboy. I know a bunch of you have put the ESB Slave 1 together and I have seen some beauties, anyone mind sharing the colors/brands they used?

I would greatly appreciate it.

CG

On the main fuselage, I used Testors Model Master IJA grey (a very greenish grey), and 50/50 IJA grey and MM camouflage grey. On the skirt, I used Polly Scale flat gull grey, Polly Scale mineral red or boxcar red (can't recall which) from the railroad line, and the red with some camo grey and a little white mixed in for the pink. Dark green areas were Polly Scale German uniform grey (or was it Vallejo field grey? They're basically the same greyish green color). The rear of the hull was mostly gull grey, with details in MM neutral grey, flat black, dark gull grey, and field/German uniform grey.

I wrote an article on my build of the Fine Molds kit for the first issue of a new modeling magazine called Model X, which should appear next month. There's a fair amount of detail on how I did the painting, assuming it survived the editing process ;)

Thank you Krachenvogel, your help is greatly appreciated.

Where will one be able to pick up that magazine, local hobby shop?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CGClone @ Feb 14 2007, 10:06 PM) [snapback]1419262[/snapback]</div>
Where will one be able to pick up that magazine, local hobby shop?
[/b]

If I remember right from my talk with the editor, the initial plan is to distribute the magazine mainly through hobby stores. I'm not one of the business partners, though, so I don't know all the details.

Krachenvogel

Would love to see photos of your FM Slave I, can you post pics here or email to me at: gfollano@aei.ca

Here's a photo of my original 1980 MPC kit I built over 12 years ago right out of the box,
just added a few greeblies on the fuselage.

At the time the refference was very limited and hard to see the colors, especially the grey tones, the only photos I had access was from SW to INDY and the Art of ESB books.
Many things I would have done differently today.

I used the following

Humbrol Rust for the skirt
Humbrol Rust mixed with white for pinkish scuffs
Testor light Grey for the light color of main fuselage and skirt
Tamiya J.N. Grey for the darker part of main fuselage
Testor Camouflage grey for the wings and whole underside
Tamiya Dark Sea Grey for the fuselage side hubs, front nose, cockpit, top of tail strip
Tamiya German Grey for the 2 black detail on front nose of skirt

GFollano

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back