Beauty and the Beast

nbehling

Ok. So it's that time of the year again. Time to start planning for Halloween. This year I think my wife and I are going to do Beauty and the Beast. I have done some research and am having a hard time finding a really good Beast that doesn't look like a mascot for reference.

Belle will be relatively simple. a yellow princess gown. I will wait for spring and find a prom dress at goodwill that I can modify.

Beast is a different story. I don't particularly care for the mascot look.
Beauty-And-The-Beast-Costumes.jpg
I want him to be a little more intimidating. Like the one in this drawing I found while google searching.
tumblr_mq236fk1gG1qdfv3oo1_1280 (1).jpg
I can sculpt with clay and work with foam. Faux hair will be a new challenge for me but I am looking forward to it.

I am going to make him wearing a cape and not the dress suit. I plan making a foam muscle suit and skinning it with fur. I want him to look muscular and not like a big floppy teddy bear.

I am going to make the legs look more like a horses leg than a human. I hate when people give him human legs and boots. He had paws.

I am 6'3" and with a bit of a platform shoe and a tall head I figure I could get him to around 7'

Any ideas and thoughts would be very helpful. This could be the hardest one I have ever tried to pull off. Halloween is just around the corner.

I agree with harleyquinn525 - I directed a school's production of Beauty and the Beast. For the beast's makeup, I used a lot of werewolf pieces (I don't sculpt my own so I went around buying them from costume depts. of various stores). I had a lot of success hand-sewing gloves with fake fur from Hobby Lobby (VERY low budget production), and it looked fantastic on stage, even being the cheap acrylic fur. It flowed a lot like it should have, given the appearance in the movie, with very minimal maintenance. I ran out of time to finish up the fingers the way I wanted, so I had to paint paw pads onto the gloves and stick claws on with hot glue. I wasn't happy with that part...

Because we did the staged production, our Beast was still very humanoid. We bought a wig(headdress? It had a "beard" attached for a more "mane" look) made just for the staged production of B&tB, and I added plastic demon horns that I repainted onto it by stitching and hot glue and it held beautifully.

I guess, long story short, the Beast in the movie has a lot of what people would call "werewolf" influences, and even cheap acrylic faux fur will probably serve you very well for the costume (though something more realistic may give you more of the rough look you're going for). I used fur about 2" long, and you'll want it longer around the elbows and upper back. I haven't the foggiest idea on how to make the kind of wig/headdress you would need, though.

I think you have a great idea here and I'd love to see how it turns out!

When you say Beauty and the Beast. This is the Beast that I think of, from the 1980's tv show. This is the first Beast I saw on tv.
beast.jpg

Ok so I have found a bit of inspiration and think I am going to try and finish the head before I really dive in.
Screen Shot 2014-02-26 at 4.39.04 PM.png5357905_f520.jpg
So I am going to try and sculpt that face. I started constructing the base with foam. I found a papercraft beast and enlarged it to a size I thought would be about as big as the minotaur. Since the papercraft is small it will just give me basic shapes to work with. I will have to do a lot of customization before adding fur.
photo 1 (1).JPGphoto 2 (2).JPG
Here is the nose and eybrow ridge so far. I am hoping to ad eyebrows soon but I am having trouble making the brows into a scowl.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back